An Old School Catholic Message Board

Apostles of the Sacred Heart

katherineH

It's been a while since anyone has posted about this community, so I thought I would start a new thread :) I spoke with their VD last week and really enjoyed chatting with her and learning about the community.  Has anyone had experiences with them or gone on retreats? I've been browsing through their archives and it looks like they have had several postulants and pre-postulants leave.  

I haven't been in contact with them personally, but haven't heard anything but good stories about them.

Do not worry about the postulants and pre-postulants leaving, i would be more worried if no one ever left!

The beginning stages are just that: beginning stages. Religious life is not for everyone and so completely different from "normal life",

that many times people need to live the life before they can decide if it would be a good fit. Thats why it takes years and years

before you make a final commitment.

I hope others can give you more useful information about the community ;)

Sponsa-Christi

The Apostles of the Sacred Heart (the ones with the American Motherhouse in Connecticut) were the very first community I ever visited! I personally didn't feel called to join them, but discerning with them was a good experience. No community is perfect, of course, but the Apostles of the Sacred Heart are fairly well-known for being faithful to the magisterium as well as being a healthy community on a human level.

The sister who conducted the recent Apostolic Visitation, Mother M. Clare Millea, is Superior General of this community. She belongs to both LCWR and CMSWR, and received high marks from sisters in both organizations. That is not easy to do! This is a community that seems to be a bridge between the more traditional and the more modern. (I see that as a good thing, and mean this as a compliment.)

NadaTeTurbe

The sister who conducted the recent Apostolic Visitation, Mother M. Clare Millea, is Superior General of this community. She belongs to both LCWR and CMSWR, and received high marks from sisters in both organizations. That is not easy to do! This is a community that seems to be a bridge between the more traditional and the more modern. (I see that as a good thing, and mean this as a compliment.)

Do you know of other community who are members of both organizations ? I have heard of it, but I could not exact information of numbers about it. Mother Clare must be a great diplomat. 

be_thou_my_vision

They are a very healthy community.... some of our Sisters went to WYD in Madrid and they made friends. Our Sisters commented when they got back that they were very easy to get along and very faithful to the Church. A beautiful group of ladies.

truthfinder

Do you know of other community who are members of both organizations ? I have heard of it, but I could not exact information of numbers about it. Mother Clare must be a great diplomat. 

Just remember that the LCWR is group of superiors, although it does have greater affects on the whole community. 

truthfinder

I thought both groups were group of superiors ?

Yep, you're right.  But to me I can't see why superiors can't belong to more than one group. 

The LCWR is open to any leader of a canonical congregation of women religious in the U.S. The CMSWR has specific criteria that a leader must subscribe to (a set of tenets) in order to belong. Some communities have gone back and forth from belonging to CMSWR or not over time. For example, the Immaculata IHM sisters were founding members of CMSWR but no longer belong to it--though future leaders could find themselves willing or able to do so. 

Mother Clare is clearly a tremendous diplomat.  There is no reason why other community leaders could not follow that course. Also, there is at least one community where one province's leaders are in LCWR and another is in CMSWR: the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration of Colorado and Mishawaka, IN. (Not to be confused with the FSPAs of Lacrosse, Wisconsin). 

Edited by Nunsuch
Information in another response

The LCWR is open to any leader of a canonical congregation of women religious in the U.S. The CMSWR has specific criteria that a leader must subscribe to (a set of tenets) in order to belong. Some communities have gone back and forth from belonging to CMSWR or not over time. For example, the Immaculata IHM sisters were founding members of CMSWR but no longer belong to it--though future leaders could find themselves willing or able to do so. 

Mother Clare is clearly a tremendous diplomat. Whether her dual membership is unique or not at this time, I don't know. But there is no reason why other community leaders could not follow that course. 

fascinating! do you happen to know what the criteria are to belong?