Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Fox News is reporting the following:


WASHINGTON — "One nation, under God," will remain, at least temporarily, in the Pledge of Allegiance (search), the Supreme Court ruled Monday, saying a California atheist could not challenge the patriotic oath.

But whether or not the pledge recited by generations of American schoolchildren is an unconstitutional blending of church and state was not directly addressed at the procedural ruling.

The court said the atheist could not sue to ban the pledge from his daughter's school and others because he did not have legal authority to speak for her.

The father, Michael Newdow (search), is in a protracted custody fight with the girl's mother. He does not have sufficient custody of the child to qualify as her legal representative, eight members of the court said. Justice Antonin Scalia (search) did not participate in the case.

"When hard questions of domestic relations are sure to affect the outcome, the prudent course is for the federal court to stay its hand rather than reach out to resolve a weighty question of federal constitutional law," Justice John Paul Stevens wrote for the court.

Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist agreed with the outcome of the case, but still wrote separately to say that the Pledge as recited by schoolchildren does not violate the Constitution. Justices Sandra Day O'Connor (search) and Clarence Thomas agreed with him.

voiciblanche
Posted

Yay! Hehe, I knew they wouldn't be able to take our Lord outta that pledge...

When school starts, I'm going to recite the end of the pledge as "...liberty and justice for some," instead of "all," because as long as there's 4000+ babies being killed a day, liberty and justice aren't being given to all. :sadder: Granted, this would probably make more of an impact in a public school, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Posted

We never say it at my school, unless you're at the elementry. i guess, we do at FFA meetings, but a lot of stuff w/ the FFA includes God. That's so exciting that hte athiest didn't win!! I figured he would! :hearts:

Posted

I usually include in the pledge,

[quote] and liberty and justice for all, born and unborn [/quote]

Posted

I can't believe this guy has wasted the courts time and our tax dollars filing this lawsuit when he didn't even have a legal right to do it in the first place. He should be fined or something.

Posted

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jun 14 2004, 07:37 PM']I usually include in the pledge,

[quote]and liberty and justice for all, born and unborn [/quote] [/quote]
We do this at our KofC meetings too....

voiciblanche
Posted

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jun 14 2004, 07:37 PM'] I usually include in the pledge,

[quote] and liberty and justice for all, born and unborn [/quote]
[/quote]
:wub:

I'll do that instead. :)

Posted

I believe that is how I got the idea, but hten again I could be wrong.

I can't wait til I'm old enough to by a knight!!!!

ilovechrist
Posted

hey eddie..
are you in Squires? you should be a Squire b4 you become a Knight.. we say that line too :D

Posted

I heard this guy being interviewed on a talk show and he had been told by one of the hosts who's a lawyer that his case had no standing-- 2 summers ago and he still went forward w/ the suit.
BTW, the guy was such a sneak in his answers in the interview, he so lost the debate.

Ash Wednesday
Posted (edited)

[quote]I can't believe this guy has wasted the courts time and our tax dollars filing this lawsuit when he didn't even have a legal right to do it in the first place. He should be fined or something.[/quote]

It's my understanding that the guy didn't even have full custody of his child. The child's mother is a born-again Christian and she was outraged. I would be too. Aside from her obvious objections based on her faith, this man was [b]using[/b] his own child to push his own agenda.

I don't see how this man could view this as "protecting his daughter" either. Duh!? The mother is a Christian! What is he going to do, yank her out of the house every time Mom opens a bible?

Edited by Ash Wednesday
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Jun 14 2004, 11:22 PM'] What is he going to do, yank her out of the house every time Mom opens a bible? [/quote]
Or the Declaration of Independence for that matter:

[quote]When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's [b]God[/b]  entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. [/quote]

Edited by thicke
Posted

I love Christ--- What is Squires, I have never heard of it before!

EcceNovaFacioOmni
Posted

Michael Newdow should be fined for being stupid. He is a well known atheist activist, in case you don't know who he is.

lil bull 04
Posted

YAY!!!!!! :D :dance: :dance: :clap: :bounce: :balloons: :balloons:

Posted (edited)

[quote name='thedude' date='Jun 15 2004, 07:48 AM'] Michael Newdow should be fined for being stupid.  He is a well known atheist activist, in case you don't know who he is. [/quote]
Yet, according to the article he is an ordained minister. In case anyone didn't know this, atheism is a religion. Go look religion up on Merriam-Webster's website and you'll find one of the definitions is:

[quote]a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices[/quote]

and

[quote]a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith[/quote]

Atheism seems to me to qualify under both definitions. Am I right?

Then how ironic it is that there's a religion based entirely on the belief that God doesn't exist. Don't they realize that if he didn't exist, there would be no atheism?

Edited by thicke
Posted

I never say the Pledge because I'm not American (this really bugs some people who immediately brand me terrorist) but I stand up with everyone else to show respect. I agree with voici, "justice for some" :(

I'm really glad they kept the "under God"

Posted

[quote name='thicke' date='Jun 15 2004, 08:21 PM'] Then how ironic it is that there's a religion based entirely on the belief that God doesn't exist. Don't they realize that if he didn't exist, there would be no atheism? [/quote]
Wow. I never thought of it that way.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='VeraMaria' date='Jun 15 2004, 06:27 PM'] Wow. I never thought of it that way. [/quote]
Me neither...Pretty cool huh? I was wondering if I was on to something, or was just waxin' philosophic all the way to the funny farm.....

Edited by thicke

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...