An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Resource Guide

katherineH

Hello friends,

I lead the women's discernment group at my university parish and am wanting to put together a resource guide for women discerning.  I am also pursuing a master's degree in library and information studies and thought it might be need to use this as my thesis/final project.  Maybe turn it into a e-book that anyone could download, or have it up on a website.  I was thinking that I could have a list of books and DVDs on discernment, and one-page articles on certain topics like the difference between contemplative and apostolic life, vocation jargon, how to prepare for a discernment retreat, what to expect during a first phone call with a VD, etc.  Just very practical information.  I've found that there is a lot of spiritual and theological resources out there, but not much on the nitty-gritty of the discernment experiences (which is why I hang out here :)) . What do you think? Are there any other suggestions or insights you have? It would be amesome to get sisters to contribute but I want to be realistic with goals.  I also don't want to replicate something that already exists so if you are familiar with something similar please share!

K. 

sr.christinaosf

I would really take a look at the CMSWR website.  Also, some dioceses have vocations pages that might be a helpful thing to check out.  Sounds like a great idea; the "nitty gritty" of finding where you belong can really be challenging, physically and emotionally. 

Edited by sr.christinaosf

If you want to be thorough and inclusive, I think you should not just include CMSWR-related resources. Look at those associated with LCWR and LCWR-related communities. Also, check out sites like ANunsLife.org. They are currently running a series of webinars on discernment, for example. Check with Giving Voice, an organization for sisters under 50 from various communities. There are organizations of African-American and Latina sisters--look at them. And don't forget contemplatives.  

You may want to consider how expansive you want to be geographically. Do you want to move beyond the US? Do you want to include Canada? Etc. There are a lot of questions to consider....  Good luck!

sr.christinaosf

I don't think you want to copy VISION Magazine or the Guide to Religious Ministries and include an exhaustive list of all the communities. 

Yes I agree! I've also thought of doing some kind of assessment of existing resources - what's helpful, what isn't, what would discerners like to see more of.  A big part of information studies is providing resources but also evaluation, so I could take that route! So many possibilities. 

Yes I agree! I've also thought of doing some kind of assessment of existing resources - what's helpful, what isn't, what would discerners like to see more of.  A big part of information studies is providing resources but also evaluation, so I could take that route! So many possibilities. 

PM me. I had several such studies designed (in my head) for my dissertation, but have decided to go with another topic. We should talk via Skype/phone.

The Benedictines of Ferdinand used to have a very thorough vocation/discernment program which they offered to other communities (as in a workshop/retreat). They had excellent resources about the process. There also used to be a very academic based magazine (not Review for Religious - though that's great if you can find them and want to go into history) specifically for formation, vocational discernment and the processes involved. They were only sent (as far as I know) to religious communities. Those would be an excellent source if you could find them. I haven't seen one personally in about 10 years, so if they are no longer in print, I'm sure you could find them neatly organized in a convent library. I also believe you would be remiss if you didn't include the LCWR communities as well.