An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics Marry, Just Not at Church

little2add

it kinda does.

is there anyone without sin among you, entirely free from sin, in heart, in the spoken word, and life;  there is no such person

i find it hard to believe that being married not in a church building is in any way as notorious or  scandalous as as adultery; abortion; divorce, lying, stealing, cheating, etc.

The number of good Catholics who follow the rules, get married in the church; end up divorcing and abandoning their children is staggering... just because you're married in the church does that guarantee a valid marriage

That does not address a single thing I said.

if the offending catholic couples marriage is invalid then wouldn't they be living in sin? 

On 9/14/2015, 10:11:08, Nihil Obstat said:

It has nothing to do with being without sin. These are the requirements of the Church. If you ignore them, you cannot call yourself "a good Catholic", period. When we call them minimal requirements, they really are minimal. If one cannot fulfill those precepts, it is either because they are seriously impeded by outside circumstances (in which case the law does not apply), or they simply do not care.

your argument is invalid!  i know the requirements of the Church as well as you do.  i don't need to be talked down to about my faith. 

if a catholic man and a woman want to get married outside a church building, all I can say is "God Bless Them" and hope for the best.

you just keep throwing stones, that's all  

it kinda does.

is there anyone without sin among you, entirely free from sin, in heart, in the spoken word, and life;  there is no such person

i find it hard to believe that being married not in a church building is in any way as notorious or  scandalous as as adultery; abortion; divorce, lying, stealing, cheating, etc.

The number of good Catholics who follow the rules, get married in the church; end up divorcing and abandoning their children is staggering... just because you're married in the church does that guarantee a valid marriage

not getting married in a church building is not as scandalous as adultery.  So what? What is your point? Btw, me going into the break room and stealing a coworker's lunch is not as scandalous as adultery.   I will tell my co-worker that when she catches me eating her onion rings. "munchmuch, me doing this is not as scandalous as adultery, munchmunch."

there are very few Catholics who actually intend to follow the Church's teaching and then confess when they do not. Very few. So what??? The fact that people stink is irrelevant to whether people should make every effort to not stink.

being married in the church does not guarantee a valid marriage - and ????? Buckling a seatbelt will not guarantee I survive a wreck.

California has no fault divorce, Bill Clinton was born in Hope, Arkansas, and earth is the 3rd planet from the sun. N'sync is far superior to Backstreet Boys. ALL OF THESE FACTS ARE  IRRELEVANT. Just like every single thing you typed above.

ARGGGH  logical fails make me so mad. Go get Hassan to argue your side, please.

being married in the church does not guarantee a valid marriage - and ????? Buckling a seatbelt will not guarantee I survive a wreck.

i agree

i agree

well guess what friend, people get tickets for not buckling up.  Because you SHOULD buckle up and it takes 5 seconds.

People who don't want to get married in a church should ask for permission or deal with the consequences. 

if the offending catholic couples marriage is invalid then wouldn't they be living in sin? 

your argument is invalid!  i know the requirements of the Church as well as you do.  i don't need to be talked down to about my faith. 

if a catholic man and a woman want to get married outside a church building, all I can say is "God Bless Them" and hope for the best.

you just keep throwing stones, that's all  

I said nothing about your faith, unless you are not fulfilling the precepts of the Church. In which case my comments apply to you as a generalization applies to a particular.
If a couple's marriage is later showed to be invalid, then their living situation does not in and of itself imply sin on their part. Although sin may indeed apply due to circumstances. This is due to the fact that while a true marriage did not exist, the state which did exist is what we call a putative marriage. Again, this is fairly simple stuff, and if you do not understand it then perhaps this discussion is a bit out of your depth.

agreed

well guess what friend, people get tickets for not buckling up.  Because you SHOULD buckle up and it takes 5 seconds.

People who don't want to get married in a church should ask for permission or deal with the consequences. 

agreed

Attended my nephew’s (wife’s side) wedding last night.  The ceremony and reception was held at a barn.  the parents, grandparents, relatives, friends came from far and wide to witness and celebrate.  

Not having a church ceremony definite cheapened the affair, but that was the kid’s loss…

It was still valid in every sense of the word. 

The catholic parents, grand parents and i wished the young couple well and happiness in there new lives as one.

That’s all 

Attended my nephew’s (wife’s side) wedding last night.  The ceremony and reception was held at a barn.  the parents, grandparents, relatives, friends came from far and wide to witness and celebrate.  

Not having a church ceremony definite cheapened the affair, but that was the kid’s loss…

It was still valid in every sense of the word. 

The catholic parents, grand parents and i wished the young couple well and happiness in there new lives as one.

That’s all 

only valid in the sacramental sense if they got permission from the bishop. The charitable thing is to assume they did. If they didn't its an invalid marriage and they aren't sacramentally united. 

only valid in the sacramental sense if they got permission from the bishop. The charitable thing is to assume they did. If they didn't its an invalid marriage and they aren't sacramentally united. 

If one or both of them are Catholic and they did not obtain permission it was invalid both sacramentally and naturally. I.e. no marriage whatsoever.

in the eyes of the church, your right... this is fairly simple stuff

Are you implying that the Church is in some way incorrect on this issue?