dUSt Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 https://projects.propublica.org/colleges/ Lol. They are like the worst university for poor kids. Doesn't that kinda make the church look bad?
Basilisa Marie Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 Most Catholic schools don't give out a lot of scholarships, and their endowments aren't as big. Standford, the number one, has an endowment in the billions. Catholic elementary school is also expensive.
CatherineM Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 Makes us look bad that we don't support our Catholic colleges better.
Credo in Deum Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 I always thought the words University and Poverty were naturally opposed to each other.
HopefulHeart Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 Wow, that is expensive. As Basilisa Marie said, the endowments for Catholic colleges are not very big. The website said that the 2013 endowment for CUA was less than 300 million. I go to a private university that has an even higher per-year cost than CUA. However, my university had a 2013 endowment of 1.73 billion, and I was able to receive enough aid to attend at a relatively affordable cost.
Benedictus Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 Catholic boarding schools are equally bad at helping to provide access to poorer students. Catholic education institutions are sadly not always the best choices from a moral, cost or academic perspective. Fees in general for so many institutions seem to be set too high, as if to maybe keep them socially exclusive on purpose
Lilllabettt Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 Ivy league institutions solve this problem by charging zero dollars to people whose families make under a certain amount (65 grand is common.) Families who make under 150 grand have steep reductions. In America if you're smart enough you can get a top flight education at the best dozen or so schools in the country for FREE - and that includes FREE room and board. God bless America. The reason ivies can do this is because their endowments are larger than the GDP of some small countries. Catholic schools tend to be on the poor side. It's hard to be poor and help the poor.
Era Might Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 I always thought the words University and Poverty were naturally opposed to each other. Considering that the first universities were for medieval scholars, who were by definition embarking on a life of poverty (maybe even vowed), they aren't naturally opposed to each other...unless we're talking about modern universities, which are tools for getting a position in the system.
Credo in Deum Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 Considering that the first universities were for medieval scholars, who were by definition embarking on a life of poverty (maybe even vowed), they aren't naturally opposed to each other...unless we're talking about modern universities, which are tools for getting a position in the system. Given that I do not live in medieval times I think you can safely assume I was referring to modern universities.
Era Might Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 Given that I do not live in medieval times I think you can safely assume I was referring to modern universities. Modern universities do not define what universities are "naturally." Medieval ones do. University and Poverty may be opposed to each other, just not naturally.
Gabriela Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 I always thought the words University and Poverty were naturally opposed to each other. If you get a degree in the liberal arts, they're practically synonymous. Modern universities do not define what universities are "naturally." Medieval ones do. University and Poverty may be opposed to each other, just not naturally. Pray tell, in what way is any university "natural", rather than just "historical"?
veritasluxmea Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 Makes us look bad that we don't support our Catholic colleges better. This. Ask not what "the church" can do to fix the problem, but what you can do to fix the problem.
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted September 13, 2015 Posted September 13, 2015 Q: Do you tithe? A: Than how do you expect the church to give out more scholarships? Q:Can we give 8% of a our tithe to a college or does the whole 10% have to go to the temple? A: ? Oh catholic book stores stink also, aiming for to high a profit and the christian bookstore(and im sure we are supposed to be christians also) sells stuff not for profit and has volunteers working as store attendants. Our parish priest gave a bangin homily tonight about if you aint doin the work you actually may not even have faith. We all should be helping the poor, start up a scholarship fund at your parish and gather a collection after every sunday mass if you priest says it is ok and combine all the parishes collections into one bank account and at the end of the year count it and find some people to pay for there education. If you donna want to do the work in this field donna worry find some other work to do and if you do wanna do such work and feel called to it than take my advice and just do it. Hey also im tired of sitting there oggling at statues thinking about how great the saints where, lets go do some work church. YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD RISE UP! The world needs to see us doing works because works proove our faith. Thats what the priest said, he said the world just sees the highest quality marble statues and golden silk in the vatican because we are not doing the work, so what else are they going to focus on? can pray all we want for the dishes to magicaly get washed up or pray for the grace to wash them up yourself!
Era Might Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 If you get a degree in the liberal arts, they're practically synonymous. Pray tell, in what way is any university "natural", rather than just "historical"? If you get a degree in the liberal arts, they're practically synonymous. Pray tell, in what way is any university "natural", rather than just "historical"? A university is an idea with a form. It's a living idea, and modern universities still explicitly recognize their carrying on of the idea of the university of western tradition. Anyway, by natural I just mean a form in harmony with the idea. I happened tp read an essay by William James the other day arguing that the only purpose of a university is to train us to be able to judge the best in humanity, the way a skilled worker is trained to judge good and bad work in his craft...of course, he was writing a long time ago. Joh Henry Newman has an essay on the idea of the universty, I should read it.
Gabriela Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 A university is an idea with a form. It's a living idea, and modern universities still explicitly recognize their carrying on of the idea of the university of western tradition. Anyway, by natural I just mean a form in harmony with the idea. I happened tp read an essay by William James the other day arguing that the only purpose of a university is to train us to be able to judge the best in humanity, the way a skilled worker is trained to judge good and bad work in his craft...of course, he was writing a long time ago. Joh Henry Newman has an essay on the idea of the universty, I should read it. Right, but the idea of a university can change. I think you acknowledge that when you say "it's a living idea". But when you say "modern universities still explicitly recognize their carrying on of the idea of the university of western tradition", though, I can't say I agree. First, who is this faceless "modern university"? Many faculty (especially in the liberal arts) may still recognize this. But few administrators do. And few students do. And few employers—who are as integral to the university system today as anybody else—do. Small liberal arts colleges recognize this idea much more explicitly and non-hypocritically, by which I just mean that more people at the colleges, regardless of their position, tend to recognize the idea and try to live up to it. But at universities, I think the very idea has changed. And it's changed drastically. I love James and Newman, and I agree with them and with you about what a university should be. But I don't think that's what they are anymore, or what most of the people running them want them to be.
Era Might Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 Right, but the idea of a university can change. I think you acknowledge that when you say "it's a living idea". But when you say "modern universities still explicitly recognize their carrying on of the idea of the university of western tradition", though, I can't say I agree. First, who is this faceless "modern university"? Many faculty (especially in the liberal arts) may still recognize this. But few administrators do. And few students do. And few employers—who are as integral to the university system today as anybody else—do. Small liberal arts colleges recognize this idea much more explicitly and non-hypocritically, by which I just mean that more people at the colleges, regardless of their position, tend to recognize the idea and try to live up to it. But at universities, I think the very idea has changed. And it's changed drastically. I love James and Newman, and I agree with them and with you about what a university should be. But I don't think that's what they are anymore, or what most of the people running them want them to be. I definitely agree that universities have changed, for the worse in many ways. I guess the difficulty is that we have this blind idea that edumacacion is this grand thing that we have perfected in a tradition, but we don't reflect critically on how our conception of education differs...but universities still employ medieval garb at commencement. I don't think the idea has changed so much as we have gotten rid of the idea of an idea...universities today are part of key to our techical civilization, driven by integration into industry, resrarch, etc. I guess the closest they come to humanity is the commencement address where, for once, students are supposed to hear human advice for its own sake.
hotpink Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 I think part of this is disenenuious. Many of the colleges that are listed in the top are very competitive, and have huge endowments. They are considered "needs blind" which means that if Sally, Johnny, Sammy, Porter and Jenny are identical in every way and Sally puts her app in first but can't pay then Sally will be able to attend. Johnny has money and can attend, but then Sammy, Porter and Jenny are stuck because aid ran out. Sammy, Porter and Jenny can't attend because Sally needed 40k worth of scholarship. Needs-based school will let Johnny attend because he can pay, then divide a 40k scholarship between Sally, Sammy, Porter and Jenny giving them 10k each. One can argue that Sally should be able to attend fully, but at the same time, there is some merit to situations where the burdan is on each student and they can determine for themselves what debt they want to take on and if that is worth the educaiton they are getting.
CrossCuT Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 Poor people are lazy so they shouldnt go to school.
Era Might Posted September 14, 2015 Posted September 14, 2015 Poor people are lazy so they shouldnt go to school. I know you're being sarcastic, but just to draw a serious point out of this...not everyone is cut out for school...or rather, let me put it a better way...an academic career is only useful for very limited purposes. We learn best by actually living...to the extent that academics helps us enhance our learning-by-experience, it can be good. Some of the smartest people around are poor peasants or street hustlers, they learn what actually matters in the environments they operate in. I work with an immigrant who's been cooking for a year...I asked him how he learned, he said he just learned by watching and observing...and he's great at cooking, the guy can chop up vegetables without looking, works 12 hour days 7 days a week. Some people DO learn better in an academic context...maybe they are wired to think in terms of ideas rather than experimental imitation...but even then, the academics only take them so far, they will have to learn a whole lot about life in order to actually work out ideas in the real world. I won't linger on my hobby horse, but I think it's absurd how we equate attending an educational institution with learning...our first instinct, whenever we want to do anything in life, is that we have to "go back to school"...it's pretty sad because it would be a lot cheaper and more effective if most people just had real-world apprenticeships where they could learn by experience. School is remarkably good for making us into administrators and function-performers...and I guess for many people that's what they want in life, a nice comfortable spoke in the wheel. I guess that's the ultimate purpose of school in our civilization. For those who seek something more, school has never been a substitute for real life. From the traditional idea of the university, I don't think the point is for people to go there to "learn" "stuff" but to enter into a community of learners...big difference, and a distinction that would probably make modern universities more meaningful for students today, if they realized the distinction.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now