An Old School Catholic Message Board

just from curiosity...

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Disclaimer: I'm not choosing a community based on this :) but I'm just curious, I saw pictures in another thread of a Carmelite (?) Novice and she was wearing a wedding dress for the ceremony. Is this common in Carmels in North America? Especially the more traditional ones like in Nebraska. Thanks!

MarysLittleFlower

Oh of course! :) I'm sure many do.. I'm wondering if Carmels in North America have this custom or mostly in Europe/South America etc.

I also realised the nuns in those pictures on the other thread might not be Carmelites. I'm still wondering about Carmelites though specifically :) 

Most of the communities I know that have their sisters wear a wedding dress aren't Carmelite.  In fact, I can't think of any Carmelite communities in the US that do but I imagine that they are out there! 

Strictlyinkblot

A few years ago there was a thread with pictures of a former phatmasser's clothing ceremony at a Carmelite community and she was wearing a wedding dress. I think it may have been Lafayette but I'm not sure.

MarysLittleFlower

Does anyone know about the Carmels in Nebraska / Elysburg? I'm just trying to learn all I can about those Carmels even the smaller things lol :) 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

From more research, it appears that they might not (?) Maybe someone knows... But after looking at a whole bunch of Carmel investiture pictures, they still look very much like brides in their white veils / capes and crown of flowers. Lol I wouldn't choose an order based on this but I am kind of a romantic at heart... Haha.. :) 

IgnatiusofLoyola

Even if a particular Community does not have a Web site, it's very possible that there might be articles written about them, for example, in the newsletter of the local diocese, or even the local secular newspaper. For example, when the group of nuns from Nebraska first moved to Elysburg to form the Community there,  I remember seeing an article about the Carmelite nuns who had previously lived in the monastery, and how these nuns helped to prepare the monastery for its new occupants. I also remember an article about the enclosure ceremony (forgive me if that is not the correct term).

When doing Internet searches, it's good not to give up quickly, and try to be as creative as possible in coming up with search terms. Often there are "hidden gems" on the Internet.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

From what Ive read on here in the past there are US Carmels that do wear wedding dresses, Cristo Rey and Lafayette are two that come to mind, while most do not such as Elysburg Valparaiso and their foundation in California. 

As for websites most Carmels do not have them and if they do it is most certainly not run by them but by secular Carmelites or friends of the community.  The best way to know what is going on with them is to get their newsletter and any novenas they may send out.  Old school snail mail is the name of the game as are long periods of waiting!