An Old School Catholic Message Board

OLAM

Cursillista

Just heard some news that the Charlotte PCPA's are returning to Hanceville. Mother Delores Marie will be the new superior of Our Lady of the Angels Monastery. I was told this by two people but have not seen an official announcement. Anybody else hear this? I am so happy to hear this if its true as OLAM has struggled lately. God bless them and I will pray that the new leadership revives this most beautiful and holy place. 

Marie Villalovos Smith

I have not heard that and would be surprised if that is the case. They have already bought property and have hired architects, have plans already drawn for their new Monastery and have cleared the road to the building site. Pax

One of the people who told me this are very reliable. I was surprised too, knowing that Charlotte was growing and had many plans. But when the Holy See calls, you must answer! Our Lord's plans are not always ours. 

Strictlyinkblot

I don't think its a good idea to post this information unless its either been made public or you have the permission of the community in question. I don't want to start an argument, I mean this respectfully.

I was going to make a similar statement as strictly, but it seems this is far more than rumour. 

Here's a link: http://catholicnewsherald.com/42-news/rokstories/8543-poor-clares-of-perpetual-adoration-announce-merger-of-two-communities

The reason I'm asking is because it was supposed to have been mentioned on EWTN or news site, which is very public. But I did not hear it myself and wanted to see if anyone else heard this. I often read in Vocation Station about investments, new entries , postulants and superior changes ,etc.. All with the love and excitement   about the goings on in the orders we admire.  Many times I have read threads asking questions like "I heard this or that order has a new postulant or novice" or "I hear this order is moving or building" etc.  I thought that Vocation Station was the place to talk and learn about these things. I'm sorry if my question crossed some line I was not aware of. I'll assume, strictlyinkblot that you must be a website moderator or something. I apologize, for my mistake. I thought this was happy news to have half a dozen fully professed nuns returning. I did not think that asking about this would hurt them, it appears once again I goofed, sorry!

IgnatiusofLoyola

The reason I'm asking is because it was supposed to have been mentioned on EWTN or news site, which is very public. But I did not hear it myself and wanted to see if anyone else heard this. I often read in Vocation Station about investments, new entries , postulants and superior changes ,etc.. All with the love and excitement   about the goings on in the orders we admire.  Many times I have read threads asking questions like "I heard this or that order has a new postulant or novice" or "I hear this order is moving or building" etc.  I thought that Vocation Station was the place to talk and learn about these things. I'm sorry if my question crossed some line I was not aware of. I'll assume, strictlyinkblot that you must be a website moderator or something. I apologize, for my mistake. I thought this was happy news to have half a dozen fully professed nuns returning. I did not think that asking about this would hurt them, it appears once again I goofed, sorry!

Please don't take StrictlyInkBlot's post as criticism. She was not acting out of line in making her post. As Truthfinder said, she might have made the same post as StrictlyInkBlot. I might have done so, too, if StricklyInkBlot hadn't done so first.

It's not always obvious to new posters, but we have certain "customs" on Vocation Station. Some of them are unwritten (although ideally they will be put in writing at some point). One of the customs is that we don't announce news from a particular Community unless we have gotten it from a "public" source. Most often the news comes directly from a Community's Web site, but it also might come from a Diocescan newsletter or even an article from a local paper. Most of the time the source is directly mentioned in the post. There are exceptions, but they are unusual. Usually the exception is because the individual poster is someone who is well known to all of us, and for various reasons might be privy to "inside" information. For example, I remember a post awhile back where Sister Mary Catharine, O.P. shared the information she had about the expected number of new DSMME postulants entering in 2015. Sister Mary Catharine is a long-time VS poster, who is also the Vocation Directress for the Dominican nuns of Summit, New Jersey, and well-respected in the Dominican Community in general. Sister Mary Catharine would not have made her post at all if there was a chance that she was sharing information the DSMMEs would be upset if it were made public.  

The reason for holding back on information is that Phatmass in general, and VS in particular, is not a "private" forum. Posts made in VS are picked up by Google, Bing, and other search engines, so any post made in VS essentially becomes "public" news the minute it is posted. It's not unusual for one of us on VS to learn "inside" information about a Community from a credible source. However, at least in my case, even if I know "news" about a Community, I do not post it on VS until it has been published by the Community itself or in a public source. Many times there are reasons why a Community might want to delay posting certain information until a later date. I want to respect the Community, and let them decide the timing of the reporting of their information. This is also why VS members often wait to post information about their own discernment decisions, including the decision to enter a specific Community, until their entrance date is very close.

As it turns out, the information you posted had already been made "public," so there was no issue. However, StrictlyInkBlot didn't know this at the time she made her post.

Again, PLEASE don't take SIB's post as an insult--she was simply sharing her concerns as information for a new poster. And, in the future, if you think the information you are sharing has already been made public (as you did in this case), you can search the internet for a "public" mention of the information, and give your public source at the same time you report the information.

BTW--Welcome! We're glad you're joining us.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Where was it made public?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I did send a note to Mother today and am awaiting her response.

http://catholicnewsherald.com/42-news/rokstories/8543-poor-clares-of-perpetual-adoration-announce-merger-of-two-communities

This is the link I received from Mother Dolores Marie a few moments ago.  They were hoping to keep it quiet for a day or two, but alas, not to be!  You all can read the info about the move at your leisure.

Well, I guess in the end it all worked out. I had been told there was a public news announcement but am not internet savvy enough to have found it. I came to VC looking for exactly what the other posters provided me, a link to the news story. I believe there was also another story on radio that announced it prior to the news article that was provided by truthfinder, hence the name truthfinder (lol). Thanks for the link guys. It's hard to know about unwritten rules and customs. I was sure it had been released or would not have asked. That's one of my unwritten rules I guess. 

God Bless

IgnatiusofLoyola

Where was it made public?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I did send a note to Mother today and am awaiting her response.

http://catholicnewsherald.com/42-news/rokstories/8543-poor-clares-of-perpetual-adoration-announce-merger-of-two-communities

This is the link I received from Mother Dolores Marie a few moments ago.  They were hoping to keep it quiet for a day or two, but alas, not to be!  You all can read the info about the move at your leisure.

I was referencing the link in Truthfinder's post, which appears to be the same as the one in your post.

Mother said she was hoping to contact all their friends/benefactors, especially in the Charlotte area before the news became public.  But alas, not so much!  The best of plans went to the wayside.  I didn't get to talk directly to her, but we've been exchanging emails this afternoon.  I left a voicemail for her and expect her to call back when she can.  I know things must be hectic as they have Sister(s?) in a nursing home in Ohio that they are going to visit, plus packing up, etc.  They also have scads of liturgical goods in storage awaiting the new Monastery.  

Wow, they've been in Charlotte for 5 years already?  How time flies.  Prayers for the Sisters as they leave friends but return to family.  Many of us here feel close to OLAM, I have 'grown up' with Mother Angelica and have seen many clothing's and professions.  Welcome, Cursillista!!  

I got to know them quite by chance when they were in Ohio.  We have remained very close since then with me visiting in both Portsmouth and Charlotte.  I will miss visiting them most in Charlotte as I got to visit with them in their sunroom, take them shopping, etc.  When they were in Portsmouth they observed strict cloister, but not so in Charlotte due to their living situation in the old convent.  That will, of course, stop when they return to OLAM and that makes me a bit sad......not that they will be leaving Charlotte but that the closeness I felt with them will be completely different.  I can't tell you how many laughs we had together telling stories, sharing pictures, going to the grocery store, etc.  i still fully intend to support them at OLAM, my checks will just go to a different address :)  I'm not exactly sure when they will be moving, but I had hoped to drive down for a visit in October.  That may or may not happen now.  sigh.....