An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blog post on "drama" and discernment

Sponsa-Christi

Sponsa-Christi

I saw this interesting post on the blog "Edinburgh Housewife" on discerning a vocation to religious life: http://edinburghhousewife.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/what-heck-it-could-be-fun.html 

I disagree with some of the author's apparent assumptions here (and I think she might be romanticizing religious life a little bit, although discerners aren't her main audience), but I think she makes some good points about avoiding drama in vocational discernment. 

From adolescent drama, spare us, Oh Lord. 

These do not include the girls I know who talked it up as undergrads, presumably as a way of creating drama and interest around themselves. I knew two girls who yakked and yakked about how they were going to become nuns, and I was not at all surprised when they didn't. The women I know best who did become nuns went with a minimum of fuss and fanfare.

I wouldn't presume to know why people talk and talk about visiting religious orders, but in my experience I've seen the same results the author has as well. I never talk about my discernment or make a "big deal" out of it. The attention centered around it makes me pretty uncomfortable. 

I know exactly what she's talking about, and I totally agree. Good post.

I saw this interesting post on the blog "Edinburgh Housewife" on discerning a vocation to religious life: http://edinburghhousewife.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/what-heck-it-could-be-fun.html 

I disagree with some of the author's apparent assumptions here (and I think she might be romanticizing religious life a little bit, although discerners aren't her main audience), but I think she makes some good points about avoiding drama in vocational discernment. 

What do you disagree with, Sponsa?

Sponsa-Christi

I know exactly what she's talking about, and I totally agree. Good post.

What do you disagree with, Sponsa?

Actually...after re-reading things, I don't think I actually disagree with anything in this post in particular!

I do follow this blog in general, though, and there are a few (minor) areas where I disagree with the author's take on religious life overall, and I think that colored my first reading of this post. For example, sometimes I feel like the author is looking at religious life through overly rose-colored glasses, or with sort of an attitude of: "If you're lucky enough to have the wherewithal to enter religious life, you're guaranteed a happier life than anyone else!" I.e., I think she tends to downplay the possibility of real and legitimate struggles, sufferings, and trials that can come with discerning and accepting a vocation to consecrated life. However, I am aware that these issues aren't intended as the main focus of her blog; and consecrated women/woman religious aren't her target audience. 

Also, in my first reading of this post, my initial impression was that she was being a bit snarky towards women religious in non-super-traditional communities. However, after re-reading it, I realize that she was just being honest about her experience, which I do really appreciate. (Also...when I was discerning, I have to admit that I visited my share of uninspiring religious communities, which I might have described in similar terms.)

What I especially liked about this post was, first of all, that it made me laugh out loud in parts! But even more than that, I thought her description of the inverse relationship between drama in discerning a vocation vs. actually entering religious life and persevering in one's vocation was spot-on. Thinking back to my undergraduate days, this pretty much described my friend group---the ones who discerned the "loudest" weren't the ones that actually became priests and religious. 

I like it!

Wait a second... I read this and then checked facebook, and the Dominican Nuns page had shared it... Is that your orders facebook page and did you get it from here? lol! 

Wait a second... I read this and then checked facebook, and the Dominican Nuns page had shared it... Is that your orders facebook page and did you get it from here? lol! 

You know Sr. Mary Catharine is at Summit, right? And she is WEB-OMNIPRESENT... MWAHAHA!!!!!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Did I need permission or something? I'm confused.

MarysLittleFlower

I think she makes good points... To be honest I have spoke to some friends about discernment and asked for advice but I try not to talk about it as if I know I'll be a nun. And these are close friends. I don't know if that's different... Sometimes I just need advice precisely cause I don't know if I'll be a nun. About the sacrifice part... I think I see both perspectives .. It does involve sacrifice but its a joyful sacrifice to make. Its not something gloomy like the examples in the article. You give up something good but receive something even better. I think there is a lot of joy in deciding on consecrated life - but there are also trials, not because you don't want to give yourself to God in this way but because of opposition from our nature, people close to us, etc. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

I doubt you needed permission to add this blog to the Summit Twitter page. (I'm not on Facebook so I didn't check that.) In fact, it appears that quite the opposite was true. I just read the blog post and the author had added a welcome to Phatmass and "the Dominicans!" 

OT--I had a lot of fun reading your Twitter and blog posts on your Web page about your visit to NYC to see Pope Francis, including the pictures. (I also enjoyed seeing Sister Judith Miryam's pictures.) I was SO pleased that you got to make the trip, although with the crowds and the long wait to get in, I suspect it felt very good to get home to the quiet of the Monastery.

Iggy, Im on facebook and not twitter but public pages like what Summit has can be seen by non members of either site.  Often people will psot the main story or photo on one and then link to the other, and from a quick glance this is what Sister is doing as well so you arent missing anything.  If you are interested though their facebook page may have some photos or videos you havent seen before so here is a link jsut in case.  https://www.facebook.com/monialesop?fref=ts

IgnatiusofLoyola

Iggy, Im on facebook and not twitter but public pages like what Summit has can be seen by non members of either site.  Often people will psot the main story or photo on one and then link to the other, and from a quick glance this is what Sister is doing as well so you arent missing anything.  If you are interested though their facebook page may have some photos or videos you havent seen before so here is a link jsut in case.  https://www.facebook.com/monialesop?fref=ts

Thanks for the info. I'll try visiting their Facebook page sometime. Actually, based on the links, I may have already accessed their Facebook page in the past from the nuns' main Web site.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Not to get off the subject!

We mainly post on the blog which automatically tweets and "faces". (I can't believe there isn't a VERB for Facebook yet!) Sometimes we do post photos on Facebook that aren't on the blog. I think you can get to it from the main website. At least that is what we wanted!

I liked this post. 

Also, it's not because a discerner express an appreciation for a community/a charism/a spirituality that he is going to join it. I'm invested in various vincentian activities (Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, helping some Daughters, etc...), and I have been asked numerous time when I'm going to join the Daughters. It's tiring, sometimes. 

Oh no, not at all. I thought it was funny how I'd go on Phatmass and see the article- and someone else would too- then they'd post it on facebook and I'd end up seeing it there too, all because of Phatmass! I'm just amused that the Catholic internet is a small place :smile3: 

Edited by veritasluxmea