An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites in Beacon, New York

clk

Sponsa-Christi

I know of them, and I've met some of the nuns in passing.

From what I can tell, they live a very "modified" Carmelite life. For example, in lieu of a traditional habits, the Sisters wear simple clothing in brown and white. They keep enclosure, but they don't have any grilles (as in, if you wanted to visit with them, you would meet with a nun face-to-face in a sitting room, without any physical barriers between you). I think they might only pray the main five hours of the Divine Office together, rather than the full seven, etc. I believe some of the Sisters do spiritual direction as sort of an apostolate. 

One interesting thing about this community is that they took in the local Redemptoristine nuns when the Redemptoristines lost their monastery in Esopus, NY. The Carmelites and the Redemptoristines apparently have separate wings of the same monastery, and come together occasionally for prayer and feast days.

They also have a website: http://www.carmelitesbeacon.org/ 

Edited by Sponsa-Christi
Added website link

I have visited this monastery, because I am friends with one of the Redemptoristines.  It is a very peaceful and beautiful setting, and the sisters are lovely. It is a more "modern" Carmel, but a very prayerful one. The chapel is lovely.