An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poor Clares with an eremitical spirit

beatitude

Several threads on Phatmass have talked about the emphasis that Poor Clares put on community living and how they don't have nearly as much solitary time as other orders, the Carmelites for example. I just spent a few days in a Poor Clare Colettine monastery and I saw this myself. So I was surprised to discover two federated communities of Poor Clares whose rule and constitutions also draw on the rule that St Francis wrote for hermitages, as well as the Rule of St Clare. One community is in Australia and one in Ireland. The Irish monastery is especially interesting, as they're near the birthplace of St Brigid and influenced by Celtic monasticism. I don't know much about them beyond what's on their websites, but I thought I would share them for the sake of people who feel drawn in the footsteps of Francis and Clare but who are searching for more solitude than they might find in a typical Poor Clare monastery.

MarysLittleFlower

Interesting, thank you! I didn't know they have more community than other orders. Just wondering.. practically how does that look like? How are these communities different in their schedule?