An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Return to the Church

Era Might

42 minutes ago, Peace said:

So Era,

Inquiring minds want to know. How did you get from this to "I do not believe in a personal God" in a matter of 2 months?

It seems to me that Satan must have been working awfully hard to get you to turn back away from the Church. Wormwood is back in action perhaps?

But that is just my own speculation, of course.

Peace

I'm on the road for another 700 miles so can't respond at length, but the short answer is self-honesty and dialectical materialism. I literally made it outside the confessional, but didn't go in because I do not believe in "sin" in a Christian sense, as a stain I need to wash away. Also, in the meantime I became acquainted with the dialectical materialists...Schiller, Hegel, Marx, Bakunin, and I found it convincing that ideas emerge out of material reality, not the other way around. In other words, our material reality determines our ideas and our ideology, including religion.

1 minute ago, Era Might said:

I'm on the road for another 700 miles so can't respond at length, but the short answer is self-honesty and dialectical materialism. I literally made it outside the confessional, but didn't go in because I do not believe in "sin" in a Christian sense, as a stain I need to wash away. Also, in the meantime I became acquainted with the dialectical materialists...Schiller, Hegel, Marx, Bakunin, and I found it convincing that ideas emerge out of material reality, not the other way around. In other words, our material reality determines our ideas and our ideology, including religion.

Well. That is honest enough. You fell into heresy.

Do me a favor - when you have a chance read (or re-read) The Screwtape Letters. It's a funny book.

Peace

Science is going (has been going) the opposite way of materialism. There's new studies that show the micro and macro level aren't completely separate. Quantum Physics is mind boggling. Safe travels. I might be driving from LA to Ohio this week to make it home for Christmas. National forecast looks mild and no snow which will be good for driving.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Peace said:

Well. That is honest enough. You fell into heresy.

Do me a favor - when you have a chance read (or re-read) The Screwtape Letters. It's a funny book.

Peace

Lol. You should try seeing the world outside your narrow terms, might even strengthen your faith.

Lewis not really my kind of writer/thinker, particularly for fiction. 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Science is going (has been going) the opposite way of materialism. There's new studies that show the micro and macro level aren't completely separate. Quantum Physics is mind boggling. Safe travels. I might be driving from LA to Ohio this week to make it home for Christmas.

Yeah I'm sure I'll progress in my thought as I continue to learn, but so far religion hasn't been convincing. But if there is a God, all roads of truth lead to him, so it's just as well to explore philosophy.

11 minutes ago, Era Might said:

Lol. You should try seeing the world outside your narrow terms, might even strengthen your faith.

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Just now, Peace said:

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Thanks, I know the Gospels well, I read them every morning. You might win more converts if you took people seriously.

19 minutes ago, Era Might said:

Yeah I'm sure I'll progress in my thought as I continue to learn, but so far religion hasn't been convincing. But if there is a God, all roads of truth lead to him, so it's just as well to explore philosophy.

I like how you said your return was about Jesus. I feel you on that. That's where I'm at now. Jesus and Mary. This past year since starting the Rosary I've really been touched by her presence in my life. Tbh I've been sick of religion for as long as I can remember. It's interesting to study but I think a good portion of it is complete BS. Your post are great. The One where you were talking about how we are to worship God in truth and spirit. God gave us brains. Being critical of religion is good in my opinion. Noble. Catholicism is only special to me because Christ started it and it will bring me closer to Him. Although I'm well aware there's no religion in Heaven and that's a great thought. Here's to seeking truth and wisdom in 2016.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Era Might said:

Thanks, I know the Gospels well, I read them every morning. You might win more converts if you took people seriously.

I do take you seriously Era. I think that you are making a big mistake and I would rather you not.

But I can't stop you from making a choice that you decide to make of your own free will.

We are only promised today. We are not promised tomorrow. . .

Edited by Peace

Credo in Deum

I always asked myself, why would God give me an intellect if He was not a personal being?                       

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I love you brother and so does Jesus, and whom is truly cut out to be catholic except the catholic church and all it contains. This is not a solo mission as it seems the church recently has become a community of individuals instead of an individual community, i blame the whole rage of a personal relationship with christ, although important we must not let our personal relationship with christ overide our communal relationship with christ. Welcome home brother alone we are left open to the enemies attacks, together we can rebuke satan.

And yes the confessional is far more than a washing machine, it is where we go to repair a separation that we have caused from Christ and his body(the church).

Oh also i'm so not a holy catholic although the church is holy. I do hope that if i persist in faith, hope of heaven and charity that one day it shall be so, but perhaps not until heaven though immediately after receiving christs body and blood i get the sense i'm holy, but of course not to long after that my own will starts to hassle me again, though i do believe with Christ grace and faith we can conquer the will in this life and surrender completely to Christ, though of course this is a journey with many little miracles of conversion and without a spectacular miracle of conversion(which i am also open to) we trudge along the happy road of destiny till many little miracles equal one big miracle. 

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I had that lightning bolt moment also 13 years ago approx and was on cloud 9 for 6 years and suddenly ended up in a desert for the last 7.

Just remember brother that Christ does not call the qualified, he qualifies the called. And any apprenticeship takes years of study and prac before being qualified and also even once qualified there are many things to learn as we go to add to our bag of tricks. 

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

1 hour ago, Era Might said:

Easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for men such as yourself to be saved.  But what is impossible for men is possible for God. Keep being honest. 

2 hours ago, Era Might said:

Super interesting.   

I've dulled the point of my Surprise crayon.  From your oft mystical musings to atheism.   Keep in mind my irreligiousity, why are you still reading the Gospels and considering Confession?  Not judging, am just asking.