An Old School Catholic Message Board

Goody bags for the homeless.

dUSt

It's not just about solving the problem, it's about helping to alleviate it here and now, in the meantime. We can indeed do both… we can write to our representatives and give out bags ( asking our fellow human beings what they need and don't need and taking them out of the bags) without forcing them on anyone. And yes, if someone is so inclined, they can give out cash… but I think gift certificates would be more responsible… at the same time I get what the author of the blog said about cash being more helpful obviously.

It's not just about solving the problem, it's about helping to alleviate it here and now, in the meantime. We can indeed do both

Agreed. And if we get meaningful legislature passed, we could get legit "goody bags" to these people that comes in the form of real AID that could be life changing and raise them out of poverty! But in the meantime, giving is still a good thing, 

Maybe we could include a slip of paper in the goody bag that says "I have called my representatives and voted on measures that would help get you out of poverty"

Other solution would be to go to see the homeless man or woman, ask his/her name, and asking if he needs something (clothes, food, etc...), and then give him/her. That's what I do. Often, they ask for monney, pets food, or to use my computer a few hours so they can look for directions, phone numbers, etc... 

KnightofChrist

IDK I think it may be good/helpful to throw some basics. So it all fits travel size... Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, soap, baby wipes, shaving razors, hairbrush, small can opener, matches/lighter/kindling(dryer lint), band-aides, rain ponchos.

Dont get me wrong, I think these gift bags are a great idea! But they dont solve the problem. And I more or less lean on the side that these packages do more for the giver than the receiver. But no one said (and I am not assuming) that people giving out goody bags are also not supporting legislature that can really help these people. Im sure a ton of people are doing both! (I hope) 

I don't think giving a homeless person a bag of free stuff will solve anything except possibly cheering them up a tad, and I wouldn't expect it to. I honestly don't think writing letters to the government is worth my time. Giving money to charities I believe in seems way more productive.

IDK I think it may be good/helpful to throw some basics. So it all fits travel size... Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, soap, baby wipes, shaving razors, hairbrush, small can opener, matches/lighter/kindling(dryer lint), band-aides, rain ponchos.

If I was homeless I think if I wanted those things I'd have them. I tried to think of things that they'd probably end up using up that same day. Except the phatmass t-shirt of course--they'd probably keep that their whole lives.

I'm not trying to change their lifestyle or pretend my bag will serve any function other than giving them free junk they won't throw away.

I honestly don't think writing letters to the government is worth my time. Giving money to charities I believe in seems way more productive.

Not with that attitude.

Besides, like I said earlier, Charities will never solve the problem because if they were capable of such a thing, it would have happened already. They hinge on the good will of people who have the wealth...and those people dont give enough to make a difference that is meaningful to the masses of growing poor.

Edited by CrossCuT

If I am not mistaken, it is a fairly widely accepted hypothesis in economics that there is a certain natural rate of homelessness, much like the natural rate of unemployment. There simply always will be some amount of homeless people, in spite of any programs or services directed towards addressing it.
Does not mean we do not try to help them as we are able. Just that if we approach it as "ending homelessness", we are probably not directing our energies efficiently, because it is at some point a flawed premise.
Likewise we cannot "end unemployment" in the long run. That is just fundamentally not something that can happen. We can reduce it and minimize it, but over the long run the natural rate of unemployment will be relatively steady.

If I am not mistaken, it is a fairly widely accepted hypothesis in economics that there is a certain natural rate of homelessness, much like the natural rate of unemployment. There simply always will be some amount of homeless people, in spite of any programs or services directed towards addressing it.
Does not mean we do not try to help them as we are able. Just that if we approach it as "ending homelessness", we are probably not directing our energies efficiently, because it is at some point a flawed premise.
Likewise we cannot "end unemployment" in the long run. That is just fundamentally not something that can happen. We can reduce it and minimize it, but over the long run the natural rate of unemployment will be relatively steady.

If we rely on and are ok with man made systems that factor in homelessness and poverty as a natural outcome in order to keep order, then I think we found our problem.

If we rely on and are ok with man made systems that factor in homelessness and poverty as a natural outcome in order to keep order, then I think we found our problem.

I do not think you really understand the point I am trying to make.

I agree that giving to the poor is good and necessary but I disagree that coming up with new and innovative ideas to end homelessness and poverty is not an efficient use of our time.

I agree that giving to the poor is good and necessary but I disagree that coming up with new and innovative ideas to end homelessness and poverty is not an efficient use of our time.

Youre evading. Even your commends about unemployment are said through a narrow lense. You assume that the way the world has to be is definded by the restrictions of a flawed political system that we invented.

it is a fairly widely accepted hypothesis in economics that there is a certain natural rate of homelessness,..There simply always will be some amount of homeless people

I dont know how Im misunderstanding what you said. This is the essence of your post. 

You believe that the flawed man made political system is the end all be all; that we have no ways of getting around it. There will always be poverty so any attempt to eliminate it is hopless and a waste of effort. Instead, you suggest we needlessly throw money at a problem that will never go away? How does that make any sense?

I disagree. I disagree even on the broad notion that there is nothing we can do about it. That people really think that in the very very very very very very short amount of time since money has been invented that we have to succumb to it so completely or the extremely corrupt system in place around it. The fact that you would yield to a system that builds poverty and suffering into it as the status quo is shocking. I have a little more hope in humanity than falling on my butt and giving up. I think that if you can see no solution, you should step aside and allow people who have the inspiration and ideas to come up with a real solution. Im not saying I have the answers, but Im saying that I want to look for them....apparently you dont even want to look. That my friend is deeply regrettable. Im sorry.

Youre evading. Even your commends about unemployment are said through a narrow lense. You assume that the way the world has to be is definded by the restrictions of a flawed political system that we invented.

Hardly evading. Just not really inclined to subject myself to another of your boring ideological rants.

Hardly evading. Just not really inclined to subject myself to another of your boring ideological rants.

rofl. Your initial post really floored me. "We cant get rid of poverty so just give up and give them goody bags instead" is the tldr version.

But youre semi right. Its not that I dont understand what youre saying, its that I literally cant comprehend it.I cant fathom how a decent human being would give up so quickly.  "Based on a completely irrelevant tenant of human design, I think we should just give up."

Youre also semi right in that Capitalism builds in the necessity for the poor and unemployed. Thats why we need to ditch it. The attitude that the current system is the best system is the real problem. 

Solving homelessness...yawn! What a bore.

Edited by CrossCuT