An Old School Catholic Message Board

I've always wondered...

John Paul

on a modern  like what the dominican sisters of Summit NJ wear their is a white stripe along the first part of the veil is that a part of a cap or is it a elastic band to keep the veil on?What is it?

IgnatiusofLoyola

Like so many other things on VS, the logistics of how the veil works differ by Community, even among Dominican Communities.

For example, I had a conversation earlier this week with former Phatmasser Laetitia Crucis (now Sister Mary Catherine of the Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in Lymington, England). She was recently on her annual home visit, but is back in England now. One short anecdote is that she said that when she went to church, everyone assumed she was a Nashville Dominican because both the habit and and the veil of the St. Joseph Dominicans look almost identical to the Nashville Dominicans. However, she told me that actually her Community's veil is a little different from the Nashville Dominicans, although most people think they look the same. She explained to me the "logistics" of how her veil works compared to the Nashville Dominicans. Please don't ask me for detail, because it didn't mean anything to me, not having ever worn a Dominican veil.

On a related subject, I THINK the white band on the veil of the Summit Dominicans is actually the white underveil folded over. However, when Sister Mary Catharine of the Summit Dominicans logs in she can (and probably will) correct me.

If you look through old threads, it's really the Carmelites on VS who have detailed discussions of the various styles of Carmelite veils.

Also, although the logistics of how veils work is of general interest, since you're male, this isn't a subject that will ever affect you personally, so you probably don't want to spend too much time thinking or asking detailed questions about it. Posting one very general question (as you've just done) is fine, but looking for lots of details might venture into asking too personal of a question. I don't know where the line is where questions like this become too personal--like so much else, it almost certainly differs by the person. If you were a woman discerning with specific Community, the situation would be different. But, to keep from accidentally offending anyone, I'd recommend that you keep your questions about the specifics of things like how the veil works to a minimum, and keep them on a general level. You want to be concentrating your interest and questions on men's Communities.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

It's part of a cap which is like the caps from Wrights but our own pattern. It's basically the same as Nashville and lots of other communities.

The Dominican sisters of St. Joseph wear a frame with the white piece that attaches.

Ah, the mysteries of veils and everything under them!

Also, although the logistics of how veils work is of general interest, since you're male, this isn't a subject that will ever affect you personally, so you probably don't want to spend too much time thinking or asking detailed questions about it. Posting one very general question (as you've just done) is fine, but looking for lots of details might venture into asking too personal of a question. I don't know where the line is where questions like this become too personal--like so much else, it almost certainly differs by the person. If you were a woman discerning with specific Community, the situation would be different. But, to keep from accidentally offending anyone, I'd recommend that you keep your questions about the specifics of things like how the veil works to a minimum, and keep them on a general level. You want to be concentrating your interest and questions on men's Communities.

Really Ignatius?  Does one have to be female to ask a question about a veil?  Too personal a question on how a veil attaches?  Can I then, as a female, not ask a question about a roman collar, how it attaches, why some are different, etc?  To keep from accidentally offending anyone?  Really? 

Gabriella, why would you even say a thing like that especially to Sr. MC?

Sorry, but perhaps I need to get a pumpkin spice latte or something as I find both of your comments way off mark.   

on a modern  like what the dominican sisters of Summit NJ wear their is a white stripe along the first part of the veil is that a part of a cap or is it a elastic band to keep the veil on?What is it?

Its a piece of cloth that helps them fly :|

If you look through old threads, it's really the Carmelites on VS who have detailed discussions of the various styles of Carmelite veils.

Its just the old Spanish Vs French style debate/ discussion/ what have you.  Oh and which Carmels wear a second veil for mass because the more veils the better :)

Really Ignatius?  Does one have to be female to ask a question about a veil?  Too personal a question on how a veil attaches?  Can I then, as a female, not ask a question about a roman collar, how it attaches, why some are different, etc?  To keep from accidentally offending anyone?  Really? 

Gabriella, why would you even say a thing like that especially to Sr. MC?

Sorry, but perhaps I need to get a pumpkin spice latte or something as I find both of your comments way off mark.   

Dude, relax. I know Sr. Mary Catharine personally, so I know she won't take it the wrong way.

veritasluxmea

Iggy's just being cautious. When I've asked nuns about the veil in real life (when I was younger, I'm not really curious about it now that I'm older) they were always very kind but rather evasive, like "You have to join to find out!" type of answers. I didn't even know they used caps until I read something about it on Phatmass. I figure veils and how sisters arrange their hair is kind of personal, like underwear, so not something they really describe or show with everyone on a whim. 

How does a Roman collar attach? Someone once told me it was with velco and the "prayers of the faithful" lol. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

Yes, I'm being cautious because this is the public Internet.

I am also being cautious because John Paul is an 11-year old male. I was putting on my self-appointed "teacher" cap, and gently suggesting that while his curiosity is excellent, it's probably better for an 11-year old male who is interested in religious life to concentrate on male religious life, at least for now. 

I understand his curiosity, because I am someone who is curious about all kinds of odd things that aren't really my business. For example, I've wondered what it would be like to go to college at Oxford or Cambridge. (I probably read a murder mystery set there, or something.) I had a lot of fun researching this. I'm a professional librarian with a Master's to prove it, and part of the reason why is because I have seemingly endless curiosity.

However, there IS a line where questions get too personal. I was being cautious because I don't know exactly where that line is, especially for an 11-year old male. And, the line might be different, especially for a female who is seriously discerning with a specific Community.

Ignatious and Gabriella: Ok. I've had my pumpkin spice latte! Ah, I see your points and totally get it. :concede:

Without knowing background info, at first I thought oh my gooooodness!! 

I understand your caution, Iggy, but I think it's fine for anyone these days to ask about what's underneath a nun's veil. Any nun I've ever asked has been very open about it, and delighted as she explained. Certainly if it were felt to be a personal thing the sister could just state that or ignore the question (online). But I think the sisters we have on here are pretty used to people asking curious questions.

It's no biggy.

As for Roman collars, most of the ones I've seen are a single long rectangle that simply slides into both holes of a buttoned-down collar. They're kind of plastic-y, which makes them stay firm and in place. I believe there's an older-fashion type that actually snapped or velcroed around the back of the collar, such that a priest didn't need to button his collar down to hold it in place. But these probably "choked" a bit more.

And that reminds me of a joke I once heard on the radio (which we could use to lighten this thread up again ;) ):

A priest who'd just been assigned to a VERY rural parish was astonished by the honor and respect his new parishioners greeted him with. They hadn't had their own priest in many years, and hadn't even been able to have Mass but about once a month until his arrival. So thrilled family after thrilled family invited him out to their isolated homes for dinner. He dutifully obliged them, as he was a city boy and felt he needed desperately to get to know how his people lived out here in the middle of nowhere. On one of these dinner visits, he noticed that, even before dinner, the youngest son of the family kept staring at his Roman collar. He stared so intensely that it was really quite uncomfortable. When dinner began, the boy sat across from the priest and, even while he ate, never looked at his food, but at the priest's collar, then his face, then back at his collar, then his face... non-stop. The parents didn't seem to notice the boy's obsession, so the priest decided he the boy just must never have seen a priest outside of Mass, and so he took it upon himself to explain the Roman collar to him.

Priest: Little Jeb, do you know what this is? (He pointed to his collar.)

Little Jeb: Sure do.

Priest: Oh, really?! Excellent! I bet you can't guess what it says on the other side of it, on the inside.

Little Jeb: Bet I can.

Now the priest was perplexed. Obviously he knew that, on the underside of the collar was written, "Handwash with gentle detergent and dry flat." What in the world did the boy think was there?

Priest: Really? I'll bet you $1 you can't guess.

Little Jeb: Don't need to guess. I know.

Priest: Okay. So are we on?

Little Jeb: Sure thing.

Priest: Alright then. What's it say?

Little Jeb: "Kills fleas and ticks for up to 3 months."

The priest laughed so hard he gave him the dollar.

The old-fashioned ones actually have a metal link that goes through a specially make button-like hole in the back.  Think like a cuff-link idea.  Then you'll also see, very rarely though, and you'd only know if the priest took off his jacket, there a couple that are pre-formed and are a bit like a vest/rabat. p_300752_de.jpg