An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites of Jackson, MS

miserere55

Hi PMers....Does anyone know anything about the Carmelite Monastery in Jackson, MS?  Has anyone visited them or discerned with them?  Or does anyone live near them?  I understand there are only a few older sisters.......

For anyone older (50's, 60's etc.) who is interested, this monastery accepts older vocations. 

They used to have a web site, but it's no longer available. At the time, the page listed about 6 or 8 nuns. It showed a list of the current sisters and a list of those who had died. I can't find that page on the Internet any more.

Then they had a Facebook page for a little while. I believe at that time that they had only 4 or 5 nuns. They still have link, but it doesn't have any real information. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.493045490723684.130928.132529970108573&type=3

They nuns did have a diocesan-wide event recently, a celebration of Teresa of Avila's 500th birthday, to which they invited the whole diocese. But the coverage of that says nothing about how many nuns live in the monastery. http://www.mississippicatholic.com/tag/carmelites/

:o)Katherine:o)

I just visited their giftshop in August! I am only a few hours away. I was visiting family in Jackson and they invited to take me to the giftshop. There was an elderly lady in the giftshop and I did see what appeared to be a postulant or novice. They had a photo of her entrance posted. She seemed to be the youngest and she is at least in her late 60's or early 70's. So, I would think they accept older vocations.

In talking with my family they said that the community financial support has declined over the years. With advertisement, website, etc I would think support could increase. The shop had a lot of great items and is really one of the only places in the area with Catholic items. I am sure that you can write to them or call. The property was beautiful! 

If if you do reach out to them please share how it goes! :)

Thank You Luigi, Katherine and John Paul.  I think I am going to write to them.  And Katherine, yes, I will share how it goes.