An Old School Catholic Message Board

Billboards are Terrible

dUSt

http://www.scenic.org/billboards-a-sign-control

I wish there was a law against roadside billboards. They are all visual pollution. Road spam. 

If these states weren't so inconvenient to live in, I would seriously move to them for this reason alone:

Vermont - Removed all billboards in 1970s
Hawaii - Removed all billboards in 1920s
Maine - Removed all billboards in 1970s and early 80s
Alaska - State referendum passed in 1998 prohibits billboards

I don't understand why more states and communities don't ban billboards. They are just turrible.

Vermont highway:

moveto-vermont-3.jpg

Texas highway:

BillboardsHouston_ScenicHouston_thumb.jp

Right. Here, the mayor of a city removed all the billboards, and while the city is not super pretty, it's really enjoyable to walk in it. 

I do remember Texas being particularly terrible about billboards.

And I agree they should be banned. But I also think that I should be allowed to put a note on my mailbox that says "No solicitations, please", and postal workers would be obligated to respect my wishes to NOT receive junk mail. Junk mail actually ENTERS YOUR HOME. That's a private place. They have NO right to advertise in it.

Edited by Gabriela

Um without billboards how would I know how far til the next Whattaburger?!?!?!?!?!  This is extremely important info!

I didnt think Texas was too terribly billboard-y, what stood out were the Texas and US flags every mile or two.

I always know when I've crossed from NY into Pennsylvania when billboards for fireworks outlets start popping up everywhere.

I agree that billboards should be removed.

SaintOfVirtue

Come to think of it I haven't seen as many billboards in NY as CA. It's much nicer that way; except the pot-holes, NY has got to fix that problem. 

Come to think of it I haven't seen as many billboards in NY as CA. It's much nicer that way; except the pot-holes, NY has got to fix that problem. 

Come to Indiana. The roads in NY will seem like butta' after that.

HisChildForever

I dislike the billboards that are neon bright and change like a television screen.

Also, a couple years ago a billboard spoiled a TV show that I was one episode behind on. It was a significant spoiler too smh.

Um without billboards how would I know how far til the next Whattaburger?!?!?!?!?!  This is extremely important info!

I didnt think Texas was too terribly billboard-y, what stood out were the Texas and US flags every mile or two.

With these signs. These signs should be the only spam we see.

blue-sign.jpg

Edited by dUSt

With these signs. These signs should be the only spam we see.

blue-sign.jpg

um theres no whattaburger in that sign, this is a problem.  And what the heck is show me's?

I always thought the "The Thing???" sign on the way from California across the southern states was pretty entertaining.  But I get what you mean.

http://www.scenic.org/billboards-a-sign-control

I wish there was a law against roadside billboards. They are all visual pollution. Road spam. 

If these states weren't so inconvenient to live in, I would seriously move to them for this reason alone:

Vermont - Removed all billboards in 1970s
Hawaii - Removed all billboards in 1920s
Maine - Removed all billboards in 1970s and early 80s
Alaska - State referendum passed in 1998 prohibits billboards

I don't understand why more states and communities don't ban billboards. They are just turrible.

Vermont highway:

moveto-vermont-3.jpg

Texas highway:

BillboardsHouston_ScenicHouston_thumb.jp

Revenue.

And if ads are done right, you wouldn't mind, but when done horribly, well I don't disagree.