An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it proper to give gift to the religious when we visit a congregation?

Mary Catherine

The first time I visited a community, I bring them a cake and the cake's recipe. Now everytime I visit them, they make my cake ! (it's a family recipe, so they're super happy to have it !)

Spem in alium

If you're limited in what you can give, I think a monetary donation given to the community is a good idea. 

When I would visit my Sisters, I would often take food items which were intended to be shared. 

In my case Ive always given a thank you card and a monetary donation.  How much depends on how long I stayed, how much food I ate and how many dishes I broke :|

To add to my last post, the number of dishes I broke was only one thankfully :blush:  :paperbag:

One time I was visiting  a community and my return flight was only available at some really early hour of the morning.  Prior to my visit I booked a hotel room near the airport and planned to leave the convent the evening before and stay there thus making the really early flight time a bit more manageable.  As my visit drew to a close the superior was discussing my travel arrangements and insisted I stay there the last night and a friend of the community, who apparently likes being up in the wee hours of the morning, would give me a ride.  Thats what I did and since they saved me the cost of a hotel room for a night I gave them more money, a more worthwhile donation I think :hehe:

Once, when I was staying in a community's guest room, I thought the water boiler had an on/off switch, such that, if you plugged it in empty, it wouldn't turn on until you filled it with water and flipped a switch.

I was wrong.

Plastic melted everywhere and filled the whole basement with the smell of burning chemicals.

I got to Target ASAP and bought them a new water boiler—WITH an on/off switch!

Bookmarks are a great gift. You can even make one - even if you don't consider yourself creative. Why not find some quotes from the founder or foundress OR the Saint who has influenced their spirituality. It will be very personal and show you care, have done some homework & will be most appreciated. It won't add to your travel weight & is a humble, appropriate gift. Good luck!!!

Mary Catherine

Dears, thanks for your nice ideas, now I have come to an idea on my own. I have purchased two refined handkerchieves on internet shops, and they are arriving next week.

Hope the sisters will like them. P.S., now there are only 2 sisters in this congregation, and they have not professed yet.

Practical items are always the best. It sounds like you found a good present

When I visit I always try to mix it up between practical and "fun" stuff. Though sometimes the fun stuff may feel a bit practical, such as on my last visit I brought them some nice cherry jelly and a different type of cereal than they normally have. Stamps are also a big hit. Sometimes just being around the community you can find out little needs or wants that they have. For example I decided on the Sister's Christmas present when I was working in the kitchen, They don't have a complete set of measuring spoons or cups for either liquids or dry measures. So I a planning on getting them a nice full set. Little things but I know they will find them useful.