An Old School Catholic Message Board

"swear To God" By Scott Hahn

Justified Saint

Justified Saint

Has anyone read Scott Hahn's newest book? I have only read the first chapter, but I can already tell that this will easily be his best book yet!

Edited by Justified Saint

Justified Saint

Well, I've only read the first chapter but Hahn's style was right on target as usual. Based on content I don't see how it can't be one of his best. It is the perfect book - a synthesis on all the sacraments and the basic theology of the sacrament which Hahn always seems to touch on briefly or in just one aspect in his other books which always leaves you wanting more.

What did you like about it Sojourner?

Really? By whom?

I found it to be a clear, concise explanation of the sacraments. It was nothing particularly groundbreaking, but it was pretty well-written, and does a good job of drawing clear connections between OT and NT sacraments.

I take it you haven't read it Bro. Adam?

Mickey's_Girl

LOL! When Sojourner visited me, I was "psychically" reading S. Hahn's mind ahead of time...I'd say something, and then she'd be like, "Wait, that's in here!"

:crackup:

MG

[quote name='Mickey's_Girl' date='Jun 16 2004, 11:36 PM'] LOL! When Sojourner visited me, I was "psychically" reading S. Hahn's mind ahead of time...I'd say something, and then she'd be like, "Wait, that's in here!"

:crackup:

MG [/quote]
True dat. I was reading it over Memorial Day weekend when I was up at MG's place, and kept reading bits of it to her.

Perhaps that's another reason I liked it, because it answered so many of MG's questions. ^_^

Born Again Catholic

I am about half way through it. This is another solid book from Dr. Hahn. In reading his books I am always amazed at the simple relations he is able to draw between the NT & OT that i would miss on my own, typically I find his books the most rewarding the 2nd or 3rd time through where you can mine for those nuggets. My only complaint would be that he obviously has so much more to say on these subjects but he condenses his discussion to keep the easy to read and understand, just once i would like him to offer an uncondensed companionon book where he lets it all hang out.

Yeah, BAC, I think I'd have to agree with you on that one.

The beauty of his books that I've read so far is that they make complex theology pretty accessible for the average Joe (or Jane, in my case); it would be nice to get into more depth and detail.

daugher-of-Mary

I bought it today and read the first chapter. Very well written as usual, and right on target.

ThyWillBeDone

I read a while ago, I really enjoyed it a lot. I would have to agree with Born Again Catholic that it seems like he probably has so much more to say on the subjects. But he did do a great job of addressing all the sacraments in one short easy to read book. I would say it is one of his best, well atleast of those that i have read so far.

Dr. Hahn's books are good, but his graduate level class lectures are far better, because he gives much more detail in his lectures than he does in his books. In a sense his lectures flesh out what he outlines in his books.

phatcatholic

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 16 2004, 11:22 PM'] Really? I'm told it wasn't all that good. [/quote]
really? i liked it..........although i acknowledge w/ the rest that he could undoubtedly say much more on the matter. tho it has the feel of an introduction, there is still much detail and theology involved. i think its just the right amount for a pleasant read.