An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion and liberation ?

NadaTeTurbe

I met someone who mentionned being close to their spritiuality. Someone know more about them ? 

Edited by NadaTeTurbe

I have a friend that is very involved with them.  I believe they operate more like a support and social group than a thorough community of formation like Opus Dei or Regnum Christi.  They are strong in liberation theology and tend to be very involved in social justice, evangelization, and community outreach. I know my friend has cherished her experience with them so much because they provide such a strong place of community and belonging.  Sort of like a pre-made group of friends who are very devout.  This might be a clumsy analogy, but they remind a me a lot of FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students) in that they organize weekly study and catechesis groups for people of all age groups to grow in their faith. There are also varying degrees of commitment which is nice.

TotusTuusMaria

I have a friend that is very involved with them.  I believe they operate more like a support and social group than a thorough community of formation like Opus Dei or Regnum Christi.  They are strong in liberation theology and tend to be very involved in social justice, evangelization, and community outreach. I know my friend has cherished her experience with them so much because they provide such a strong place of community and belonging.  Sort of like a pre-made group of friends who are very devout.  This might be a clumsy analogy, but they remind a me a lot of FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students) in that they organize weekly study and catechesis groups for people of all age groups to grow in their faith. There are also varying degrees of commitment which is nice.

I attended meetings for about six months on a weekly basis this year, and I would agree that it is very much like a support and social group. Many of my friends (very well-formed individuals who have studied at pontifical programs in the US and in Rome) are very much involved with this movement in my city.

However, two things related to this description 

1. School of Community (C&L) is much less formal than Opus Dei and Regnum Christi. Both of the second are formal institutions within the Church. School of Community is simply a movement. You can "formally" enter into the movement through an enrollment process, but it not at all as formal as Opus Dei/RC. School of Community is considered a movement and priests and people from all walks/states of life attend meetings. 

2. School of Community or C&L is a movement within the Church based off the inspiration and writings of a priest who was actually a good friend of JPII: Fr. Giussani. I have read about three of his books in community, and no where has liberation theology of even strong sentiments of social justice been highlighted. Liberation Theology is condemned by the Church, and when I first heard the name of the movement my eyes opened and I was like... um... what? Many people think because of the name it has something to do with Liberation Theology, but that is not true at all and a huge misconception. From my rather poor knowledge compared to others in the movement, Fr. Giussaniis all about the "encounter" with Christ and the "liberation" of it all is a reference to the freedom and liberation found from asking big questions and having that "religious sense" and having experienced Christ in a very real-encounter-esque way that totally transforms your life. 

If I had to mention the main threads of SC/C&L I would say they are "encounter" [with Christ] and fostering a "religious sense" [asking big questions] through community. Fr. G did not even like the name when it came about and wanted it preferably to be called School of Community. We learn from one another through community. 

All of the recent popes have spoken to SC/C&L, and Benedict gave a stunning address to them during his pontificate... saying gorgeous things about beauty. Fr. G was a big believer (like JPII) that beauty is very powerful and can give incredible opportunity to experience that encounter which changes everything. JPII was good friends with Fr. Giussani, as I mentioned. Differently not a liberation theology group. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Giussani

:) Hope this helps! I stopped attending because of work and the meeting time. But, I will probably return. So encouraged by the people there. Most of the writings are geared toward the laity, fyi.