An Old School Catholic Message Board

An alternative to the idea of "Deaconesses"

DameAgnes

Well, it's not true that we don't really have a clear picture of the early deaconesses. Off the top of my head, they catechised the female congregants, assisted at women's baptisms, organised aid for widows and families which had fallen on hard times... If a woman was new to a parish, she had to go through the deaconess to speak to the priest. When they were ordained, they were led into the sanctuary, had hands laid on them by the bishop, received a kind of stole, and even touched the altar and chalice etc. After that they would be responsible for keeping order in the women's half of the church, so they weren't regularly in the sanctuary area, and it seems pretty clear from what I remember reading that they weren't considered clergy, but still.

Sponsa-Christi

This is actually my article. Thanks for linking! :)

Well, it's not true that we don't really have a clear picture of the early deaconesses. Off the top of my head, they catechised the female congregants, assisted at women's baptisms, organised aid for widows and families which had fallen on hard times... If a woman was new to a parish, she had to go through the deaconess to speak to the priest. When they were ordained, they were led into the sanctuary, had hands laid on them by the bishop, received a kind of stole, and even touched the altar and chalice etc. After that they would be responsible for keeping order in the women's half of the church, so they weren't regularly in the sanctuary area, and it seems pretty clear from what I remember reading that they weren't considered clergy, but still.

I wasn't trying to say that we didn't know anything about deaconesses---just that we in the Roman Catholic Church don't have a clear enough picture of what this vocation was for us to re-institute a non-ordained Order of Deaconesses easily. 

This is actually my article. Thanks for linking! :)

I wasn't trying to say that we didn't know anything about deaconesses---just that we in the Roman Catholic Church don't have a clear enough picture of what this vocation was for us to re-institute a non-ordained Order of Deaconesses easily. 

Oh, ok! Thanks for clarifying! :)