An Old School Catholic Message Board

What are you doing for Advent?

Basilisa Marie

Finally breaking out a new advent wreath!  After years of pie-tin or plastic or things that shouldn't generally be lit on fire I finally found a perfect advent circle 4-candle holder and purple and pink candles at Christmas tree shop last year.  All for around $10.  I try to be understanding of Catholic marketers but really upwards of $40+ for a metal wreath without decor or candles is theft, considering you can find metal menorah's for under $20.

It's also one of the reasons why I claim that in general the secular Christmas Season has nothing to do with my religion. 

I'm going to start The Mystical City of God (The Conception and The Incarnation) by Venerable Mary of Agreda. I'm also going to use this time to try to grow closer to God, as I've recently realized I have grown a bit distant from Him. I will put a special emphasis on the Holy Family and the Child Jesus. I'm also going to attempt getting my mom to come with me to daily Mass like we used to.

I think I will devote this Advent to praying for my parents, in honor of the Holy Family and in gratitude for what my parents have done for me. :) 

2 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

I've grown old and mean.  I will work on changing that...

Yeah, good luck with that.

I mean the "old" part.

Spem in alium

At the moment, I'm planning to make a retreat all of Advent based on reading daily reflections by Mother Mary Francis (in her book Come, Lord Jesus!. I used it last year and enjoyed it). I'm also busy preparing the Advent messages we will broadcast on social media - they will be centred around waiting and expectation.

It's the head of the liturgical year, and thus the perfect time to become serious about praying the Divine Office daily. I'm also hoping to make a general confession at some point during Advent, clearing out all the forgotten recesses, all the nooks and crannies in my conscience, that I might be better disposed for Christmas and for the work ahead of me this year.

I try to do the St. Andrew's novena which starts on Nov 30.  It's not a novena though because it goes all the way to Christmas.  You're supposed to say the prayer fifteen times a day - so if I'm really on the ball, it basically works out to say the prayer once an hour which is a really nice way to constantly remind yourself of God throughout the day. 

dominicansoul
On November 25, 2015 12:54:30 PM, Luigi said:

Yeah, good luck with that.

I mean the "old" part.

I'm coloring my hair this weekend :|