An Old School Catholic Message Board

useful skills for religious life

MarysLittleFlower

(Side note to the thread...)  The National Sleep Foundation maintains that a long nap (not the 15 min. "cat" or power nap variety) can both adversely affect the quality and length of nighttime sleeping, and make falling asleep more difficult.  During my novitiate days, I gained a new understanding of the word "covet"--with regards to napping.  It made me appreciate St. Therese of Lisieux even more--knowing that she often felt anxiety about nodding off during prayers ("God must love me when I doze off").  I'll never forget the time I fell asleep in chapel and my office book went flying out of my hands down the center aisle.  A good lesson in humility, too! :nunpray:

16 hours ago, nikita92 said:

I often wonder, if a nun/sister has had a difficult sleeping night.. Tossing and turning etc and just start to get some deep sleep by  say 4:30 am.. Do communities allow them to recoup their rest?  (for lack of a better way of describing it) Or, must they rise with their sisters no matter what has taken place during the night hours? I haven't read anyone writing something on this particular area. Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack the subject!!!!

This story from the desert fathers comes to my mind:

Some old men went to Abba Poemen and asked, "If we see brothers sleeping during the synaxis [common prayer], should we wake them?" Abba Poemen answered, "If I see my brother sleeping, I will put his head on my knees and let him rest." Then one old man spoke up, "And how do you explain yourself before God?" Abba Poemen replied, "I say to God: You have said, "First take the beam out of your own eye and then you will be able to remove the splinter from the eye of your brother."

OMGoodness!  I watched this video (plus several others) and have a migraine :)  I'm a quilter and pretty savvy with crafts, but this!!!!!!  If I tried this, hell would not only be frozen over, but it would have icebergs.....  I have to find a way/place to buy one, hopefully it would support a monastery.

Francis Clare, I totally agree!  I watched this video and thought "Whaaat?!"  I have great fine motor skills but I'd need to review the basic knot moves every single time I tried to make a new knot!  I really loved the craft, though, and think it would be very satisfying to learn to do well.

10 hours ago, Mags said:

When I was in community after tea there was an hour to do odd jobs before Vespers. Feeling tired on this one occasion I lay down, the next thing I know the Superior is knocking on my door asking what had happened as I had missed Vespers. Doh.:(

:hehe: Im surprised they let you sleep through it!

IgnatiusofLoyola
12 hours ago, vee said:

:hehe: Im surprised they let you sleep through it!

Wait Vee, didn't this happen to you once when you were visiting a Community? (Whoops, I should have read the posts before this before typing this. Sorry.)

We've talked before on Vocation Station about naps lasting longer than expected. In all the stories it seemed that the Superior was very understanding of young women making live-ins (or even a new postulant or two) who slept longer than the horarium allowed. To me, that's the sign of a good Superior. There are times when mercy trumps obedience, especially for aspirants and new postulants.

Also, it's been clinically shown that due to hormones, women in their late teens/early twenties need more sleep than women even just a few years older. (That said, I don't know what your excuse was, Vee! :P I guess Superiors will do a lot to attract a tall aspirant! :) )

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola
On 12/1/2015, 7:12:19, Gabriela said:

I feel you. For me, a "nap" is AT LEAST two hours. Usually more like four.

I don't know how people get up after 15 minutes. I think they're aliens.

To get REALLY off topic there are some people (myself included) who simply need more than 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night. I'm not sure why this is for most people, but I discovered (far too late) that I have a sleep disorder that means I get no Stage Four (deep sleep) so I ending up sleeping longer in my body's desperate attempt to make up. Before I found out about my sleep disorder (and when I was still working) I used to take two-hour naps, too. Now that I don't work, I usually sleep 11-12 hours a night, and this usually allows me to get through the day without a nap. I also follow all the rules for "good sleep hygiene" (a strange word, but you can google it if you're interested). 

So, I understand what you mean. I can't imagine falling asleep and getting up after 15-30 minutes. My body is just not capable of it. 

29 minutes ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

. (That said, I don't know what your excuse was, Vee! :P I guess Superiors will do a lot to attract a tall aspirant! :) )

I think God allowed that nap- extended edition because of an emergency that would happen later that same evening which meant most of us didnt go to bed until around 1am! 

If you're joining a mendicent community, I'd say fundraising/ begging/ public speaking.  This was a huge penance to me in the community I was in (flashback to selling cardboard suitcases full of candy bars for marching band, lol).

3 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Wait Vee, didn't this happen to you once when you were visiting a Community? (Whoops, I should have read the posts before this before typing this. Sorry.)

We've talked before on Vocation Station about naps lasting longer than expected. In all the stories it seemed that the Superior was very understanding of young women making live-ins (or even a new postulant or two) who slept longer than the horarium allowed. To me, that's the sign of a good Superior. There are times when mercy trumps obedience, especially for aspirants and new postulants.

Also, it's been clinically shown that due to hormones, women in their late teens/early twenties need more sleep than women even just a few years older. (That said, I don't know what your excuse was, Vee! :P I guess Superiors will do a lot to attract a tall aspirant! :) )

I was a member of the community at the time, I think it would have been worse had it been during a live-in! I was on best behaviour. :P

architecture, structural engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, metallurgical engineering, project management, carpentry, joining, bricklaying, plumbing, painting, sculpture, and a Ph.D. in everything. ;)

14 hours ago, chrysostom said:

architecture, structural engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, metallurgical engineering, project management, carpentry, joining, bricklaying, plumbing, painting, sculpture, and a Ph.D. in everything. ;)

Chrysostom is not being facetious!  Check out the resumes and the "new forms of apostolic service" on the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist website http://www.franciscansistersoftheeucharist.org

The community has medical doctors, civil engineers, pharmacists, land-management professionals, artists, educators--even a musical composer who has written a complete Mass!  Their ministries are wide and varied!