An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charismatic Communities

RoseOfGuadalupe

RoseOfGuadalupe

Earlier last month I visited the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. Sr. Joseph Andrew said I should look into charismatic communities. Do any of you know of any good charismatic communities. 

There are two main charismatic communities: the TORs as Dominican Heart suggested, and the Disciples of Our Lord Jesus Christ in Texas. There is a new religious order starting in OKC called the Gospel Life Dwelling (started by a Little Sister of the Poor, similar charism to care for the sick and elderly) that is seeking to integrate traditional liturgies with openness to the gifts of the spirit.  There are probably smaller charismatic communities in the US but none that are growing like the TORs and Disciples. 

Maybe it would help if you described what kind of charismatic spirituality you are interested in: praise and worship music, praying in tongues/gifts of prophecy, extemporaneous prayer?

On 12/4/2015, 10:43:05, marigold said:

CFRs?

Not really so much in their regular liturgy of the hours and mass.  But yes for some of the other prayer times like Catholic Underground or the Handmaids prayer group.  I would say they are much more so than some other communities though, it wouldn't seem out of place to see a hand in the air during adoration even though they regularly use Latin mass parts and chant.  It's a mix.