An Old School Catholic Message Board

Books on Discernment

katherineH

My university discernment group is looking for a book to read together next semester! We read "Religious Vocation: An Unnecessary Mystery" this fall and it wasn't really our cup of tea.  The first few chapters were helpful but we got lost halfway through in all of the complex theological discussion. The two I have on my list so far are "The Courage to Be Chaste" by Fr. Groeschel and Peter Kreeft's book on prayer. Any suggestions? It needs to be accessible to freshmen and sophomores and women just starting in discernment. Thanks :) 

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

The Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living by Fr. Timothy Gallagher, OMV. It's not geared directly towards discerning one's vocation, but I found it very helpful in my own discernment (and I read it as a sophomore in college ;)).

And You are Christ's is WONDERFUL if you haven't read it before I suggest reading it and if you have read it re-read it.

Another book I have found helpful is The Foundations of Religious Life Revisiting the Vision. https://www.avemariapress.com/product/1-59471-198-4/The-Foundations-of-Religious-Life/

Fr Phillipe has some good, short books about prayer, Time for God, Thirsting for Prayer.