An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Wearables" and Taking the Habit

Julie

This is something I've been wondering about, and I thought I'd ask here. There are lots of devotions that have "wearable" symbols. What happens when someone who has been practicing these devotions enters the religious life and takes the habit? 

For example, the brown scapular is super popular. Almost every Catholic I know wears one. If one became a Carmelite, I suppose you'd just stop wearing the little one when you started wearing the big one. But what about people who enter other orders? Would they continue to wear the little scapular in addition to the new scapular of thier order?

Likewise, I think cords like the St Philomena Cord or the cord worn by members of the Angelic Warfare Confraternity would probably be replaced by the belt/cord of a religious habit, since they have a similar purpose.

But what about things like a Marian consecration chain? Many people I know (myself included) wear blessed chains that can only be removed with pliers. If any of us become religious, will we need to dig out those pliers?

Im sure there are a million other examples. Anyone want to educate me?

44 minutes ago, Julie said:

For example, the brown scapular is super popular. Almost every Catholic I know wears one. If one became a Carmelite, I suppose you'd just stop wearing the little one when you started wearing the big one. r?

Again, this is the "every community is unique" answer.  But Carmelites actually do wear the little one in addition to their habit scapular - it's why you'll sometimes see on nuns two cords that are pinned to their habit scapular.  But the others are all going to be different.  

I believe it depends on the community and the kind of devotion. I have a friend who is a Servant of the Lord and she wears her miraculous medal underneath her habit.  A chain (especially one on worn on the wrist) would likely have to go since it is more noticeable and could be perceived as jewelry. 

Another devotion with a rather noticeable wearable symbol is the rosary and Im sure we can think of many religious besides Dominicans who wear it.  :)   Vice versa too as I know there are Dominicans who wear the small brown scapular under their habit and so on.

2 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Again, this is the "every community is unique" answer.  But Carmelites actually do wear the little one in addition to their habit scapular - it's why you'll sometimes see on nuns two cords that are pinned to their habit scapular.  But the others are all going to be different.  

They do?  To me it doesnt make sense since they would have the big one on but :idontknow:

IgnatiusofLoyola
13 hours ago, vee said:

Another devotion with a rather noticeable wearable symbol is the rosary and Im sure we can think of many religious besides Dominicans who wear it.  :)   Vice versa too as I know there are Dominicans who wear the small brown scapular under their habit and so on.

They do?  To me it doesnt make sense since they would have the big one on but :idontknow:

What about at night? Do nuns wear a large scapular to bed? (My intent is not to ask personal questions about nuns' sleepwear, since, first, it's none of my business, and second, it varies by Community.) But, perhaps the small scapular would be worn 24/7 if the nuns did not wear a large scapular to bed.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

15 hours ago, vee said:
1 hour ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

What about at night? Do nuns wear a large scapular to bed? (My intent is not to ask personal questions about nuns' sleepwear, since, first, it's none of my business, and second, it varies by Community.) But, perhaps the small scapular would be worn 24/7 if the nuns did not wear a large scapular to bed.

For Carmelites I thought that most wear a smaller scapular to bed along with a nightgown, or at least one community I know of does this. I thought that was how all religious did it, since it seems to make more sense. But what do I know?

Iggy, I think that for the majority of communities, they will wear a smaller scapular to bed, but (of course) for all we know, there probably are nuns/sisters who wear the large scapular to sleep, and maybe even the whole habit!. But it seems to me that a smaller scapular would be less likely to get tangled beneath the legs. And less wrinkled! :smile2:

Edited by Charbel

MarysLittleFlower

This is something I've wondered too. Maybe some communities would let you wear the devotional objects under the habit. For example the chain could be on the ankle or even the waist though that is sort of penitential so it might be a special permission. But maybe ankle would be allowed. I think many Sisters probably wear the brown scapular. I also wear the brown scapular, the little chain, St Philomena cord, and miraculous medal and Holy Face medal. I wonder too what would happen if I entered the convent! I know it depends on the community but any examples would be great if possible? 

IgnatiusofLoyola
26 minutes ago, Charbel said:

For Carmelites I thought that most wear a smaller scapular to bed along with a nightgown, or at least one community I know of does this. I thought that was how all religious did it, since it seems to make more sense. But what do I know?

Iggy, I think that for the majority of communities, they will wear a smaller scapular to bed, but (of course) for all we know, there probably are nuns/sisters who wear the large scapular to sleep, and maybe even the whole habit!. But it seems to me that a smaller scapular would be less likely to get tangled beneath the legs. And less wrinkled! :smile2:

I read that the Ellisville Passionists, who get up at midnight for an hour or so of prayer, then go back to bed, do wear their habit to bed so they don't have to change clothes. However, if I remember correctly, they don't wear their "regular" habit to bed, but an old habit, and don't worry about wrinkles at night since it's dark anyway. I have no idea if this included the scapular. Caveat: I'm not going to quote the source on this since it was a secular book and many of the "facts" are impressions. So, I wouldn't take it as "gospel" that the Ellisville Passionists do this.

Also, I vaguely remember reading somewhere (and the source was credible, although my memory is not!) that the Poor Clares, who also get up at midnight for an hour or so, also sleep in their habits for convenience. (Although I can't remember, or maybe it was never said, whether it was their regular habit or an older habit used only for nightwear. And, I don't remember anything said about the scapular.) I have no idea if Poor Clares normally also wear the small brown scapular, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. The story also said that the midnight rising was more difficult for postulants, because they had to change out of their nightwear into something more suitable for Chapel. I apologize for the the memory fail, but it was a religious source, possibly even a current Poor Clare).

Geez, this post has so many caveats that I wonder if I should have posted it at all. Still, I'd rather use caveats and be honest where my knowledge is lacking than to post as fact something that is incorrect.

32 minutes ago, MarysLittleFlower said:

This is something I've wondered too. Maybe some communities would let you wear the devotional objects under the habit. For example the chain could be on the ankle or even the waist though that is sort of penitential so it might be a special permission. But maybe ankle would be allowed. I think many Sisters probably wear the brown scapular. I also wear the brown scapular, the little chain, St Philomena cord, and miraculous medal and Holy Face medal. I wonder too what would happen if I entered the convent! I know it depends on the community but any examples would be great if possible? 

I'd forgotten about people wearing the chain other places besides the wrist. that would make more sense with a habit. Right now, I prefer the wrist since it asserts its presence to me more often throughout the day (ie it's always getting caught on things and I see it all the time).

My miraculous medal is attached to my scapular, because I've never been inclined to being tangled up in ten million things.

(as you can see from this post, getting tangled/caught in stuff is a very normal part of my life. My limbs even get tangled! I'm quite tall and VERY clumsy :nun2:)

AveMariaPurissima
15 minutes ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Also, I vaguely remember reading somewhere (and the source was credible, although my memory is not!) that the Poor Clares, who also get up at midnight for an hour or so, also sleep in their habits for convenience. (Although I can't remember, or maybe it was never said, whether it was their regular habit or an older habit used only for nightwear. And, I don't remember anything said about the scapular.) I have no idea if Poor Clares normally also wear the small brown scapular, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. The story also said that the midnight rising was more difficult for postulants, because they had to change out of their nightwear into something more suitable for Chapel. I apologize for the the memory fail, but it was a religious source, possibly even a current Poor Clare).

Mother Mary Francis talks about that in A Right to be Merry. :) 

The community I used to belong to had perpetual adoration, and when we got up in the night for adoration, we'd wear our night habits that we wore to bed.  Actually, we called them "pajamas," but they really were just old habits.  I don't recall any of the Sisters putting their scapulars on to come to adoration though -- just their veil along with the night habit they were already wearing.

IgnatiusofLoyola
1 minute ago, AveMariaPurissima said:

The community I used to belong to had perpetual adoration, and when we got up in the night for adoration, we'd wear our night habits that we wore to bed.  Actually, we called them "pajamas," but they really were just old habits.  I don't recall any of the Sisters putting their scapulars on to come to adoration though -- just their veil along with the night habit they were already wearing.

Thank-you! I was almost sure that I had read this in "A Right to be Merry" since I know very little about the Poor Clares beyond that book. In fact, when you posted this, I was going through my copy of "A Right to be Merry" just to satisfy myself that my memory is still working.

Actually my memory is still very good, but when I am under stress, such as at a Dr.'s appt, the combination of my medical condition and my meds causes me to forget the names of things--I call this having a "brain fluffy air extraction." Lately, before doctor's appts I have been making a list of all the big words (like the generic names of my many medications) that I am most likely to forget. That way, when my brain fails me, I can just look over at my written list And, of course, almost every word I miss during a doctor's appt I remember about 10 minutes after I have left. Very frustrating when the "computer" in our brain has a delay!

dominicansoul
16 hours ago, vee said:

In our community, I started telling sisters who's brown scapular was showing outside of their capes, "Your Carmelite spirituality is showing."  They would tuck it back inside.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear them still describe it as such to this day. :)  (I heard a novice telling another novice those very words here in the convent in Texas, lol!)

32 minutes ago, AveMariaPurissima said:

23 minutes ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Thank-you! I was almost sure that I had read this in "A Right to be Merry" since I know very little about the Poor Clares beyond that book. In fact, when you posted this, I was going through my copy of "A Right to be Merry" just to satisfy myself that my memory is still working.

Actually my memory is still very good, but when I am under stress, such as at a Dr.'s appt, the combination of my medical condition and my meds causes me to forget the names of things--I call this having a "brain fluffy air extraction." Lately, before doctor's appts I have been making a list of all the big words (like the generic names of my many medications) that I am most likely to forget. That way, when my brain fails me, I can just look over at my written list And, of course, almost every word I miss during a doctor's appt I remember about 10 minutes after I have left. Very frustrating when the "computer" in our brain has a delay!

Thanks for clarifying AMP and Iggy! ;) Now that I think about it, it makes much more sense, especially since a lot of communities have work habits too. I wasn't even thinking about orders that do midnight rising! I wanted to prop both of your posts, but I ran out of them.

I haven't read A Right to be Merry yet, I'm waiting for Christmas! Thanks for pardoning my ignorance on the subject :blush: 

Oh and @vee that was the scapular I meant in my previous post too :)