An Old School Catholic Message Board

Becoming a nun before the age of 18

Discerning13

I think how I would have been entering at that age and I think it would have been way too soon.  I think it's best to enter after some college education and work experience. It helps prepare the gifts and skills the person will have in religious life and it will help if the person ever leaves religious life later on. Leaving an order having been in since 17 or 18 years old can be very traumatic if the person has little prior work experience or relevant qualiications.  I think it's better that someone stays in an order for the right reasons!

A  person can remain in contact and visit communities to build up towards entry. Building up beforehand with good spiritual direction, long stay visits and a devloped view of the life are all good things. I don't see there is any undue hurry.

veritasluxmea

On the voice thing- I think when people are being filmed, especially girls, they can "ham it up" a little. I know my friends and I do when were together and someone starts filming on their phone, I always talk and even move my body more sassy :hehe2:

15 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

Can we all just agree that the sister at 37:00 is quite possibly the sweetest person who ever lived? :|

Agreed. The sweetest.

And I mean, having just looked at that again, those voices are kind of just how people talked on TV back then. Add that to the training these ladies would prolly have had in speaking softly and politely, and you've got yourself a girly combination.

PhuturePriest
3 hours ago, marigold said:

Agreed. The sweetest.

And I mean, having just looked at that again, those voices are kind of just how people talked on TV back then. Add that to the training these ladies would prolly have had in speaking softly and politely, and you've got yourself a girly combination.

I've met girls with voices like that before. Though what you said about women having deeper voices now is quite interesting to me. Do you have any links?

6 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

I've met girls with voices like that before. Though what you said about women having deeper voices now is quite interesting to me. Do you have any links?

Pah, no! Providing sources! That would come dangerously close to having my life organised! :smile3:

IgnatiusofLoyola

I've never heard of a theory that women's voices were deeper now than in the 50's. :idontknow:

I DID notice that many of the women had a distinctive accent. I didn't realize that that part of the U.S. had an accent. I suspect that with the advent of television in the mid- to late 50's, some accents in the U.S. started becoming less pronounced and speech became more generic. (Yes, I realize that television went on the air in the 40's, but it wasn't until the mid- to late-50's that lots of middle class families had TV's.) For example, there is a very distinct Chicago accent, but nowadays, I only hear a strong Chicago accent in people who are older, and who were born and raised in a couple of specific neighborhoods in Chicago. In my part of the Chicago suburbs, there is virtually no accent at all. 

I found the movie fascinating. But it left me with so many questions! 

On 27.12.2015. 23:48:08, Benedictus said:

I think how I would have been entering at that age and I think it would have been way too soon.  I think it's best to enter after some college education and work experience. It helps prepare the gifts and skills the person will have in religious life and it will help if the person ever leaves religious life later on. Leaving an order having been in since 17 or 18 years old can be very traumatic if the person has little prior work experience or relevant qualiications.  I think it's better that someone stays in an order for the right reasons!

A  person can remain in contact and visit communities to build up towards entry. Building up beforehand with good spiritual direction, long stay visits and a devloped view of the life are all good things. I don't see there is any undue hurry.

I totally agree that today we live in different time.That today we need different education and different kind of skills for religious life.My personal opinion is that it is better that person enter after collage and after some life experience.But also we need to realize that we are all different and for some aspirants it is better way of discerning.In the 50' of 60' nearly all the nuns pass some aspirant school before entrance.Today is quite different,Even in my country most of this school are closed but some stay because orders felt they need to have multiple choices for discerning.Here this formation is going quite well.It is very rare that girls start aspirant school at age of 14-15.They have few cases like that but today it is rare,Mostly girl enter around late high school around 16-17 even 18 years old.I have ask for some numbers they say around 2/3 enter and continue education and 1/3 give up from future discerning.