An Old School Catholic Message Board

French founder of scoutism also founded a religious congregation !

NadaTeTurbe

the french founder of scoutism,  Venerable Jacques Sevin, a jesuit priest, also founded a religious congregation ! 

http://soeurs-scjboran.fr/accueil.html

The sisters of the holy Cross of Jerusalem 

They were founded in 1944 by Ven. Jacques Sevin, who made scoutism available in France. They follow the spirituality of St Ignace of Loyola, St Thérèse de Lisieux, St Teresa d'Avilla, and St John and the first christian communities. Every seven years, the sisters take a year "off" for spiritual renewal. They have an apostolate of evangelization to the youngs. 

Their ceremony's habit is so cool : 

ss.%C5%9Bw.Krzy%C5%BCa+Jerozolimskiego+(

As a scout and a big admirer of Father Jacques Sevin, it makes me so happy !! 

Afficher l'image d'origine

Ven. Jacques Sevin, French founder of catholics scout, founder of the sisters of the Holy Cross, and mystic. 

"Lord Jesus, teach us to be generous, to serve you as you deserve it, to give without counting, to fight without fear of being wounded, to work without looking for rest, to work hard without other reward than to know that we do your Holy Will." The Scout's prayer written by St Ignace of Loyola, and used by the catholics scouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMQdUZl5Fqw

Cool!

What does the year "off" mean? Is it just a break from the apostolate? Or like a year long retreat? Does the whole community do it the same year, or just a few sisters at a time? I've never heard of something like that before, it sounds really interesting.

I think it's a break from apostolate, a kind of year long retreat, to think and pray about their spirituality, prayer life, etc... You do your perpetual vow, then apostolate for seven years, then the "break", then seven years, then the break, etc... 

I think it's because us, scouts, we burn all of our energy in our apostolate, so we need a lot of time to rest :P (just joking, of course ! There's a time of prayer every day during scout's camp... It's called the nap :P )

Their capes look a bit like those of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher, a Papal Order like Malta, except the females capes are black satin.  The Jerusalem cross is the same,