An Old School Catholic Message Board

Document on Religious Brothers

Amppax

I just came across this today on the St. Joseph Province Dominicans website. Apparently, towards the end of last year, the Vatican released a document entitled "Identity and Mission of the Religious Brother in the Church." It was just recently made available in English, and the Dominicans have made it available on their website. @bardegaulois if I'm remembering correctly, you were talking about religious brothers at one point, so perhaps you might be interested, and of course anyone else, let me know what you think. Here's the link: http://www.opeast.org/2016/01/15/document-on-the-vocation-of-the-religious-brother-released-by-the-vatican/

Amppax, you are correct; I was. Thank you for sharing this. After reading this, I'll likely be back at a more decent hour to comment upon it.

To be frank, I'm a little disappointed. This is not to say that it isn't thoroughly researched and well-written. However, for the purposes of discerning young men, it doesn't cut distinctions sharply enough. The clerical brother/lay brother dynamic is brought up once, and then dropped. Likewise, there is a focus on service, but how fraternal service would differ from, say, diaconal service isn't even touched on at all.

Perhaps I'm merely splitting hairs, but so long as men have both the clerical and religious options, which can be combined moreover, such documents that aren't nearly precise enough regarding the distinctions between various categories can just serve to muddle the issue. Women generally have but two options: go to the convent or stay in the world. For men however, well, you can stay in the world, or you can go to seminary, or your can go to a monastery, or you can go to a monastery AND go to a seminary, etc. So long as the vocational options are many, greater clarity is needed. Just my 2¢.

3 minutes ago, Amppax said:

I really like John Allan. I disagree with nearly everything he thinks, but I like him. 

John Allen is one of those rare writers that one can thoroughly enjoy reading and find very informative and erudite while still sharply disagreeing with everything he says. Really, he's the only reason ever to read Crux, or before that, the National Catholic Reporter.

I don't think you're ever really going to find a document that tells you all you need to know or that answers many questions, even on things that seem basic. It really, at least in my experience and the people I've met, means having to go off and experience the different ways of living, discerning and praying.

There are so many ways of living as a religious brother, religious cleric, monk, nun, sister etc and that's a good thing. Having variety is good, even if it feels like there's an overwhelming choice. Some people get so stuck they don't get past go, and it can be self destructive. I would say to simply go out and experience these ways of living and go from there.

I don't think I've met anyone who's said they could live out these contexts in equal measure. There's always a pull one way or the other, and texts simply won't take you where you want to go.

In my own experience I had a desire for sacramental life and service as a priest, it was probably the most strongest element. However, I wasn't attracted to living as a diocesan priest as I desired community living and a flexibility in mission. It made sense to explore orders where I could look at being a religious priest. That worked out good for me.

However, I've come across people who have no attraction to being a priest or any sort of cleric, maybe actually seeing the study and preparation as a distraction, and want to focus on doing other ministry instead. How that maps out depends on the order: social work, admin, healthcare, therapist, academic, retreat giver etc. But they'd want to live in community or be closely linked with others in that way of life.

12 minutes ago, bardegaulois said:

John Allen is one of those rare writers that one can thoroughly enjoy reading and find very informative and erudite while still sharply disagreeing with everything he says. Really, he's the only reason ever to read Crux, or before that, the National Catholic Reporter.

I really enjoyed his book on Opus Dei, though he made it clear he wasn't a fan, he was incredibly fair, and debunked a lot of the myths that are popularly spread about the Work (sidenote- I'm not a member, nor a cooperator, but I have from time to time received formation from Opus Dei, and St. Josemaria is one of my favorite saints).

Back to the topic at hand, because it follows from that. I'm in somewhat of an odd spot in terms of vocational discernment (thought I was going to be getting married, didn't pan out). I've always felt drawn by religious life, even when I was dating seriously, but feel fairly strongly that I'm not meant to be a priest (HA! Just read what Benedictus posted above, that pretty accurately describes me, except the part about the study). I've considered Opus Dei (life as a numerary), considered the vocation of brothers (active ministries), and also monks. I just don't think I'm meant to be a priest. Most others discerning I've talked to have a strong desire for sacramental ministry, I don't. 

There's still much that could change, and my spiritual life is nowhere near in order enough for me to really know anything at this point, but it is interesting. I was really pleased that the Dominicans shared this, as I've been close to their order most of my life, growing up in a parish entrusted to their care. 

Anyway, at this point I'm rambling. I may come back once I've actually read the document, which will have to come after I finish this darn thesis proposal. 

On 20/01/2016, 17:47:25, Amppax said:

I really enjoyed his book on Opus Dei, though he made it clear he wasn't a fan, he was incredibly fair, and debunked a lot of the myths that are popularly spread about the Work (sidenote- I'm not a member, nor a cooperator, but I have from time to time received formation from Opus Dei, and St. Josemaria is one of my favorite saints).

Back to the topic at hand, because it follows from that. I'm in somewhat of an odd spot in terms of vocational discernment (thought I was going to be getting married, didn't pan out). I've always felt drawn by religious life, even when I was dating seriously, but feel fairly strongly that I'm not meant to be a priest (HA! Just read what Benedictus posted above, that pretty accurately describes me, except the part about the study). I've considered Opus Dei (life as a numerary), considered the vocation of brothers (active ministries), and also monks. I just don't think I'm meant to be a priest. Most others discerning I've talked to have a strong desire for sacramental ministry, I don't. 

There's still much that could change, and my spiritual life is nowhere near in order enough for me to really know anything at this point, but it is interesting. I was really pleased that the Dominicans shared this, as I've been close to their order most of my life, growing up in a parish entrusted to their care. 

Anyway, at this point I'm rambling. I may come back once I've actually read the document, which will have to come after I finish this darn thesis proposal. 

I had links with the Work when I was at University. I still plan my day around their outline fairly closely. Lots of good cookies with them, if you're suited to it. Have you got a spiritual director? That might be a good start trying to work through this and dig out your chestnuts and golden nuggets:smile2:. I would personally advise finding a good parish sister or religious brother/priest if you can. They have more insight and a more rounded grounding than a parish based priest on these matters, but it will vary of course.

The Dominicans are amesome. I know that when I visited them the vocations director in my province at the time was a religious brother, not a priest. I didn't move things along with them, but I liked them alot. If you love intellectual pursuits, writing, teaching or preaching it's an order to consider.

"I'm in somewhat of an odd spot in terms of vocational discernment[.]" So isn't everyone, or at least they presume they are. It's really not as odd as you think. Instead of focusing on what you don't think you should do, assess your desires, interests, talents, aptitudes, situation, and, with an attitude of openness to what you discover, move in the direction in which you've been prompted. Essentially, to cite that ancient nugget of wisdom, know thyself. Studying the art of Ignatian discernment and remembering to meditate daily make the path all the clearer.

"[M]y spiritual life is nowhere near in order enough for me to really know anything at this point[.]" Then amend it. That's really the indispensable condition to all of this. I never think my spiritual life is truly in order, but that doesn't prevent me from doing what it is I need to do.

Vatican documents can give but broad outlines--and sometimes can even give too much information. Too much information, much of it not being relevant, is perhaps a greater hindrance to effective decision-making than too little. Look up "analysis paralysis" or "data smog" if you don't believe me. That, a lack of self-knowledge, and a want for charity and trust crippled my efforts to enter seminary in my 20s. In retrospect, with my upbringing, education, and personal temperament considered, I don't really think it could have been any other way. Could I have found the wisdom to drop my worldly defenses to trust God more? That would have been a matter of grace, but it was not forthcoming for me then. I can only say with St Paul that what was offered was sufficient for me at the time.

To address this document more directly, I fail to see how it describes a vocation distinct from that which every Christian should be living. We grant that religious life is the living of our baptismal vocation par excellence and thus perhaps not something so distinct as that call to the priesthood for which every Catholic lad and young man ought to be well prepared. Short of making a public profession of vows and the sense of fraternity that being part of a formal community would entail, I can't see much difference from my own fundamental orientation in life, with its particular spirituality, apostolate, and means of service--with certain exceptions. That a brother should affirm "feminine values" doesn't really follow; if anything, our society is awash in femininity, and needs more masculine virtues. Moreover, the monastic is largely ignored here in favour of discussion of more active communities of brothers.

So, I'm left with the question from this as to how the brother is to represent the nuptial mystery that Pope John Paul loved to talk about? And also, as the same sainted pope remarked that every man has a vocation to fatherhood, how would a brother exercise paternity?

Amppax, here's a very long thread from the Catholic Answers forum that goes into a lot of detail about men's religious life that I stumbled across the other day. It's quite a bit more specific than the Vatican document and contains excellent contributions from Brother J.R. (who has become quite ill and could use our prayers) as well as several other consecrated persons and members of third orders or oblates. It would take some time to read, but I'd really recommend looking through it: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=600571

9 hours ago, bardegaulois said:

Amppax, here's a very long thread from the Catholic Answers forum that goes into a lot of detail about men's religious life that I stumbled across the other day. It's quite a bit more specific than the Vatican document and contains excellent contributions from Brother J.R. (who has become quite ill and could use our prayers) as well as several other consecrated persons and members of third orders or oblates. It would take some time to read, but I'd really recommend looking through it: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=600571

Thank you, I'll have to take a look at that this weekend, once the dust settles from this crazy week.