MarysLittleFlower Posted February 8, 2016 Posted February 8, 2016 (edited) Are we allowed to get the ashes twice on Ash Wednesday if we are going to two Masses? Also do we walk around during the day with them? Thanks Edited February 8, 2016 by MarysLittleFlower
DominicanHeart Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 Well if you already have Ashes on your forehead there really isn't a point in getting them again. And yes, you do walk around with them.
PhuturePriest Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 Why would you take them off? It's like a temporary tattoo Catholics collectively decide to put on each year.
veritasluxmea Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 I wipe them off after mass. Some people will keep them on and use them throughout the day as an evangelization opportunity when people ask about them.
PhuturePriest Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 (edited) 13 hours ago, veritasluxmea said: I wipe them off after mass. Some people will keep them on and use them throughout the day as an evangelization opportunity when people ask about them. Pagan. Why do you take them off? I've never heard of that before. Edited February 9, 2016 by PhuturePriest
Not A Real Name Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 1 hour ago, PhuturePriest said: I've never heard of that before. Now you have.
Basilisa Marie Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 I probably tell this story every year but in high school we Catholic public school kids piled into my car and went to noon mass during our lunch hour, and got ashes. When we came back my APGov teacher said, "Hey, why do you have the black mark of death on your foreheads." We chuckled and said it was Ash Wednesday. She was completely and totally mortified at what she had said, and we thought it was hilarious (and we assured her that she wasn't wrong!). So yeah. Wear them all day if you can. I fully plan on going to morning Mass to get them and then heading over to my favorite cafe (for coffee) to evangelize the owner and cook (today they learned about mardi gras, haha).
PhuturePriest Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 55 minutes ago, Basilisa Marie said: I probably tell this story every year but in high school we Catholic public school kids piled into my car and went to noon mass during our lunch hour, and got ashes. When we came back my APGov teacher said, "Hey, why do you have the black mark of death on your foreheads." We chuckled and said it was Ash Wednesday. She was completely and totally mortified at what she had said, and we thought it was hilarious (and we assured her that she wasn't wrong!). So yeah. Wear them all day if you can. I fully plan on going to morning Mass to get them and then heading over to my favorite cafe (for coffee) to evangelize the owner and cook (today they learned about mardi gras, haha). I should get my ashes and attend a local protestant bible study.
DominicanHeart Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 I have heard it called "Spot a Catholic Day". I like that because as someone mentioned, it's a good method of Evangelization.
Spem in alium Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 I do like a good ash cross on the forehead, but the priest celebrating Mass at our chapel sprinkled the ash on the crown of the person's head (in accordance with European custom). With balding/bald men, he just drew a little stroke on their crown. My ashes blend in quite well with my hair, but also managed to nicely decorate my white shirt. It is a good method of evangelising, for sure.
truthfinder Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 I don't like to dust mine off, but I might actually do it this year. Attending a meeting and it will already have tensions running a little high; don't necessarily need to make targets any bigger than they already are.
veritasluxmea Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 4 hours ago, PhuturePriest said: Pagan. Why do you take them off? I've never heard of that before. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MarysLittleFlower Posted February 10, 2016 Author Posted February 10, 2016 (edited) What happens if they just rub off during the day accidently? What I'm trying to ask is... Is it ok to get them twice from a Church rule perspective. I'm going to an early morning Mass and then evening High Mass. A lot can happen meanwhile that might accidently rub off my ashes - like snow and wind even. I sing in the choir in the evening so should I just go with the choir to get ashes again? Edited February 10, 2016 by MarysLittleFlower
Nihil Obstat Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 2 hours ago, truthfinder said: I don't like to dust mine off, but I might actually do it this year. Attending a meeting and it will already have tensions running a little high; don't necessarily need to make targets any bigger than they already are. Good luck.
MarysLittleFlower Posted February 10, 2016 Author Posted February 10, 2016 23 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said: Good luck. You mean prayers for blessings
Ice_nine Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 35 minutes ago, MarysLittleFlower said: What happens if they just rub off during the day accidently? Pretty much a one-way ticket to hell. Be careful
MarysLittleFlower Posted February 10, 2016 Author Posted February 10, 2016 8 minutes ago, Ice_nine said: Pretty much a one-way ticket to hell. Be careful I just mean - is it fine then to get them again in the evening or just not bother getting them again? What would you do?
truthfinder Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 56 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said: Good luck. Thanks, it should potentially all be good but I'm still not going to take any chances.
Not A Real Name Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 40 minutes ago, Ice_nine said: Pretty much a one-way ticket to hell. Be careful
cappie Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 1 hour ago, MarysLittleFlower said: What happens if they just rub off during the day accidently? What I'm trying to ask is... Is it ok to get them twice from a Church rule perspective. I'm going to an early morning Mass and then evening High Mass. A lot can happen meanwhile that might accidently rub off my ashes - like snow and wind even. I sing in the choir in the evening so should I just go with the choir to get ashes again? There is no rule for receiving the ashes. You can participate in a second Mass as receive the ashes again (and go to Holy Communion again). It's not as Sacrament but a sacramental
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now