An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orders that retain the habit and are more "Traditional"

FlowerofCarmel

FlowerofCarmel

Hi! Im new to the Phorum! (FlowerofCarmel) but would browse Phatmass often.

My question is does anyone know of any good traditional womens religious orders in Australia that also retain the habit?

Religious orders are not as plentiful here in Aus as in the u.s, and the average age for the Australian nun is 74 I believe!

I am aware of some orders that do have the habit and retain a more traditional lifestyle.

some of the orders we have are:

Carmelites

Dominicans 

Poor Clares 

but these are very sparse.

I have recently heard that the Sisters of Life will be making a foundation here in two years!!! 

@Spem in alium is part of an Australian order who have an habit. They are called Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. This is their website : http://www.csfn.org.au/ Then it depends if you are looking for a cloistered, contemplative, or active order. Maybe Spem in Alium can tell you more, since she's australian. :) 

Spem in alium

Hello, fellow Aussie!
There are:

Carmelites (in Varroville)
Nashville Dominicans (Sydney)
Poor Clares (Sydney)
Missionaries of Charity (Sydney)
Little Sisters of the Poor (Sydney)
Schoenstatt Sisters (Mulgoa)
Poor Clares (Sydney)
Sisters of the Immaculata (Tasmania)
Missionaries of God's Love (Sydney; they are a religious institute)

and, of course, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. We are in several places across Australia.

I haven't heard this about the Sisters of Life but I'm sure they will be very well received. :) 

These are the ones I know who do still wear a habit or religious garb, if that's what you're after. As you probably know, most religious orders here are no longer doing so. I'm not criticising this, just saying that if you are looking specifically for an order wearing the habit you will have fewer options. :) 

FlowerofCarmel
14 hours ago, FlowerofCarmel said:

Hi! Im new to the Phorum! (FlowerofCarmel) but would browse Phatmass often.

My question is does anyone know of any good traditional womens religious orders in Australia that also retain the habit?

Religious orders are not as plentiful here in Aus as in the u.s, and the average age for the Australian nun is 74 I believe!

I am aware of some orders that do have the habit and retain a more traditional lifestyle.

some of the orders we have are:

Carmelites

Dominicans 

Poor Clares 

but these are very sparse.

I have recently heard that the Sisters of Life will be making a foundation here in two years!!! 

Thank you all for your responses! God Bless you All!

Edited by FlowerofCarmel