An Old School Catholic Message Board

Single (not concecrated) saints

LoveZoe11

I'm trying to compile a list of saints who where single but not members of formal religious orders. The only on that comes to mind is Saint Kateri (sp?) Any others you know of?

MarysLittleFlower

St Gemma, though she was trying to be a Passionist nun and is now counted among the Passionists.. But she had difficulties from other people with entering.

Also, Servant of God Luisa Piccarreta :) she was a third order Dominican like St Catherine and St Rose of Lima. 

Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati 

St Giuseppe Moscati

The ones I can think of are either Biblical - probably St. John the Evangelist? Mary, Martha, and Lazarus? St. Timothy? No mention in the Bible of their having spouses, as far as I know - or they're the early martyrs such as Agnes and Cecelia.

More recently, the only one I can think of is Blessed Matt Talbot, the patron of alcoholics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot

I'm not positive, but I think there are several Opus Dei numeraries who are beatified or in the process of being beatified. And before someone responds saying they are consecrated, no they aren't. I don't think you are going to find many that aren't at least part of a third order or some kind of organization. 

From what I understand, the process for beatification & canonization is long and expensive. some orders have the desire and the resources to pursue beatification & canonization of their members. But since non-consecrated-single-persons are not associated with orders, there would generally be no one to pursue their beatification & canonization. 

DominicanHeart

St. Maria Goretti only because she was killed when she was 11. She probably would've became a nun when she grew up. But her martyrdom made her a Saint. I love her. :x

Well I'm always going to bring up Dorothy Day.  She's a Servant of God.

I agree that you probably aren't going to find many who aren't somehow affiliated with some organization/order/something just because the organization/order/something is generally the one to push the Cause for canonization through the bureaucracy.

There are books and books of lay, third order Dominican and Franciscan saints and blesseds!

a whole bunch in a booms called "The Fanily of Saint Dominic"

I WISH I could remember the name of the Franciscan book- ill post if I do!

• 4 weeks later...
DominicanHeart

Why did I just realize that I put a puking sign next to St. Maria Goretti? That was not my intention!

I just came up with Little Nellie of Holy God! She's not a Saint but she should be something! She had a better understanding of the Eucharist at 4 years old than most adults!