An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monroe MI IHM Open House

chasmi

Yesterday the Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM's)  in Monroe MI had an open house at their Motherhouse.  It was a "let us get to know you better open house" that was open to all, not just those that were discerning religious life.  Their motherhouse is absolutely beautiful after having done major renovations just a few years back.  They have gone "green" and part of their mission is "sustainability".  They have a beautiful chapel that was also renovated at the time of their major project.  Their motherhouse has a very welcoming and open air but still holds a very prayerful and contemplative feel. Sister Carolyn, who was our tour guide entered when she was 18.  I believe she said that she had been there 60 years.  Their Sunday morning Mass is open to the public and I'm very much looking forward to going to Mass there very soon.

An interesting note to older ladies that may be discerning a vocation to religious life...we were greeted by a sister who introduced herself as a "novice".  She was probably in her 50's and we were told has a son.  Their website is very informative for anyone who might be interested.  They do not wear a habit, but are certainly prayerful and have very wonderful apostolates in many different areas of service.  Check them out...you'll be impressed I'm sure.

Oh that's probably Sister Diane.  Right now there are two novices and two candidates (postulants) ranging in age from their mid-20s to Sister Diane who is in middle age.