Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

"History of the Baptists" - Charles H. Spurgeon


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

FB_IMG_1452754999838.jpgThis guy 

 

Edited by Guest
Posted

I'll drink to that!!

 

oh..wait....

Posted (edited)

I feel like he'd be a very messy eater. His beard probably always had food bits in it. And he probably cleared his throat a lot and licked his finger before turning pages.

Edited by Selah
Posted (edited)

In his defense, Charles Spurgeon was one of the greatest preachers of all time.

Which is not to say that what he preached was always... erm... accurate.

Edited by Gabriela
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

In his defense, Charles Spurgeon was one of the greatest preachers of all time.

Which is not to say that what he preached was always... erm... accurate.

I always hear people say this but I have never understood why. He wasn't groundbreaking; he didn't say anything new or different that reformers before him hadn't said. He was altogether mediocre. 

Posted
Just now, Selah said:

I always hear people say this but I have never understood why. He wasn't groundbreaking; he didn't say anything new or different that reformers before him hadn't said. He was altogether mediocre. 

Look at the power of his rhetoric just in that quote above. The man could move people.

You don't have to launch a whole new theology to be a noteworthy preacher. In fact, it's better that you not.

Posted

Clearly this guy isn't a historian. What is the point of posting this @Josh? 

Posted
Just now, Gabriela said:

Look at the power of his rhetoric just in that quote above. The man could move people.

You don't have to launch a whole new theology to be a noteworthy preacher. In fact, it's better that you not.

 Billy Sunday did the exact same thing, except where Billy Sunday was melodramatic and over the top, Spurgeon constantly sounds like he is bs'ing an english paper. 

Posted

But was he a good enough preacher that even the fish jumped out of the water to listen to him? :|

Posted (edited)
Just now, Amppax said:

Clearly this guy isn't a historian. What is the point of posting this @Josh? 

Just saw it on Facebook. Thought I would post it for discussion. Is that not okay? I think it's good when things like this can be refuted. Strengthens the faith.

Just now, Selah said:

I feel like he'd be a very messy eater. His beard probably always had food bits in it. And he probably cleared his throat a lot and licked his finger before turning pages.

I never even heard of him lol Although my beard is his length or longer. So we have that in common.

Edited by Guest
Posted

My historian heart is bleeding. 

Posted

So when Baptist claim they can trace their lineage to the Apostles what is their story?

Posted
1 hour ago, Josh said:

Just saw it on Facebook. Thought I would post it for discussion. Is that not okay? I think it's good when things like this can be refuted. Strengthens the faith.

:like: All good. I was just curious. 

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

So when Baptist claim they can trace their lineage to the Apostles what is their story?

What they would (I suppose) say is this: before the Reformation, before there were self identified "Baptists," all True Christians were, at heart, Baptists. The fact is, this can be demonstratively proven false by a study of the Church Fathers, and Church history in general. As Bl. John Henry Newman said in his Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine (available here) , "To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant." 

 

Posted

All True Christian were at heart Baptists, wich is why Saint Paul read a KJV Bible and St Cecilia sang christian rock. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Selah said:

 Billy Sunday did the exact same thing, except where Billy Sunday was melodramatic and over the top, Spurgeon constantly sounds like he is bs'ing an english paper. 

Remember this eternal wisdom:

"You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Personally, I like his style. Although I think it's easier to comprehend in writing than orally. But then, back in his day, people didn't have internet-length attention spans.

Posted
42 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

Remember this eternal wisdom:

"You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Personally, I like his style. Although I think it's easier to comprehend in writing than orally. But then, back in his day, people didn't have internet-length attention spans.

It's not that I have a short attention span. I just don't consider him to be the Prince of Preachers as he is so often referred to. His style is nothing special to me. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Selah said:

It's not that I have a short attention span. I just don't consider him to be the Prince of Preachers as he is so often referred to. His style is nothing special to me. 

The attention span comment was directed at me. Notice how it's in the paragraph that begins "Personally, I..."

Not A Real Name
Posted

Where am I?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...