An Old School Catholic Message Board

JOSH RANTS

NadaTeTurbe
1 hour ago, Papist said:

Did not know the term African-American was used outside of the U.S.  That is interesting, 

Really?

French call black people living in the US "Africain-américain"

Spanish call black people living in the US "afroestadounidense"

Catalan call black people living in the US "Afroamerican"

etc... 

Of course it is used outside of the US (or maybe there was an irony in your sentence that I did not understand... ?)

37 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

It's racism to choose someone simply because of their color.

We need holy cardinals. Not white cardinals, black cardinals, Asian cardinals, etc. Holy ones with talent in pastoral care and a spine to go with it. It's not the Pope's job to choose clergy based on their skin color. It's based on their skills and holiness. Color shouldn't even be considered, and the author of this article inherently assumes it is since she takes issue with their whiteness. But she perpetuates the problem by saying there needs to be one who is black. How is it not racist to choose someone regardless of talent and holiness simply because they are black? That's just as bad as choosing someone regardless of his talent or holiness simply because he's white. The Holy Father shouldn't be pressured into choosing someone simply because of his color.

It's political correct nonsense like this that fuels the Trump frenzy going on right now. Just because all of the new selections are white doesn't mean they were chosen because they were white. That in itself is a prejudiced assumption about the Holy Father. Why is it crazy to say that maybe His Holiness didn't consider their color at all and simply chose based off character? He clearly has no issue with black people, as he appointed Cardinal Sarah as prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship.

So there are no African American bishops holy enough to be cardinals?

Nihil Obstat
1 hour ago, Papist said:

Did not know the term African-American was used outside of the U.S.  That is interesting, 

Really?

Of course, I said QED and everything!

But seriously, I hope you are just trolling 

PhuturePriest
38 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

So there are no African American bishops holy enough to be cardinals?

There were none who met the specific criteria of Pope Francis as well as his selections did. 

There are no Polish-British cardinals in England, despite a heavy Polish population. That doesn't mean there aren't holy Polish-British priests. It just means they don't have the specific things the hierarchy is looking for, or they don't meet it as well as others. Not everything has to do with ethnicity. It is entirely possible to choose one person over the other simply because he was more qualified.

4 hours ago, Papist said:

The term African-American is interchangeable with black person. It is to identify a person by his/her skin color. It has nothing to do with being an American.  

Not in every context, especially when we're talking about the global church hierarchy. You're not someone who likes to admit you misspoke are you? It wouldn't be so grating if you didn't imply that other people are the real morons here.

4 hours ago, Papist said:

The term African-American is interchangeable with black person. It is to identify a person by his/her skin color. It has nothing to do with being an American.  

Not in every context, especially when we're talking about the global church hierarchy. You're not someone who likes to admit you misspoke are you? It wouldn't be so grating if you didn't imply that other people are the real morons here.

3 hours ago, Peace said:

No, it is not. The term African American refers to a specific ethnic group. Not all people with black skin who live in the USA are African Americans (many people of Southern Indian descent being one of the more obvious examples). And many African Americans have skin that is lighter than Asians, for example. A good friend of mine has skin that is white, but who is African American. Were you not aware of these things?

LOL. The whole human race is African, even though many deny it.

Really?

fact-sheet-detail.png

5 minutes ago, Papist said:

Really?

fact-sheet-detail.png

"Other" includes "African". "Hispanic/Latin" includes "black Cuban". Etc.

Also: That's an American form. So the fact that it places "Black" and "African American" together does not mean that, objectively, everywhere in the known universe, black people can be called "African Americans". In Africa, for example, nobody identifies as "African American", though many, many people identify as "Black". And that's all those labels on that form are: ways that people identify racially/ethnically. In an American context. Cuz it's an American form.

Get it? If still not, what exactly do you think the "American" in "African American" means?

36 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Heard you the first time.  I did not misspeak. I may have misunderstood what the OP question really was. Maybe I am isolated from society too much, but all my experience is that African-American is used in place of black person, Jesse Jackson started this in the late 80s. That may not be what it is meant to be, but it is what it has become. I have never heard it used as to mean American people of African descent.  

1 minute ago, Papist said:

Heard you the first time.  I did not misspeak. I may have misunderstood what the OP question really was. Maybe I am isolated from society too much, but all my experience is that African-American is used in place of American black person, cuz I've only ever heard this in America. Jesse Jackson, a black American, aka African-American, started this in the late 80s. That may not be what it is meant to be, but it is what it has become in America. I have never heard it used as to mean American people of African descent, even though that's the very definition of black American/African American, so it's passing strange that I've never heard it used that way, because I've probably only ever heard it used that way, since that's what it means.  

Fixed.

1 hour ago, Peace said:

LOL. No. Sorry bro. You are African. There are worse things to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans

*Oops. Never mind. I misread you.*

49 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

No, my friend. We are all American! You are either American or you are A-Rab. There is nothing in between.

It's so nice to see the two of you getting along. ;) 

1 minute ago, Gabriela said:

Fixed.

Thank you. God bless you.

3 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

do you even english bro?

Yes. I math too.