An Old School Catholic Message Board

A new carmelite Saint !

NadaTeTurbe

Yes, I am so happy that Bl Elizabeth will finally be St Elizabeth :woot::w00t:

Oh and we also got another non Therese Carmelite saint, St Miriam, last year.

BarbTherese

Joy!

St Elisabeth of The Trinity is not St Therese, but according to the article had quite an influence on St Elisabeth.

DEO GRATIAS!!!! I am so happy! I love Elizabeth of the Trinity!! :yahoo:She is such a wonderful friend and intercessor, I hope more folks will make acquaintance with her

Thank you Nada for bringing us this wonderful news :blowkiss:

(You ladies wouldn't believe how many books I have about her!)

22 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Joy!

St Elisabeth of The Trinity is not St Therese, but according to the article had quite an influence on St Elisabeth.

Yes! In this photograph below taken, Elizabeth is a postulant and she is sitting next to Mother Germaine of Jesus who is holding The Story of A Soul and at that time, Thérèse had only died 4 years prior (the photograph was taken August 5, 1901)

bl-eliz.jpg

I found this at http://www.ponybit.org/eliztrin/new15up.html#part4 "In Carmel, Mother Germaine’s love for Sr Therese would have deepened Sr Elizabeth’s appreciation of her spirituality. It is noteworthy that each of the ‘3-theologians’ [36] has referred to the same quotation in Elizabeth’s letters which clearly expressed her love for her spiritual sister: “a little Carmelite named Therese, who died … in the odour of sanctity … her grace is to … launch (souls) on waves of love, confidence, and abandonment.” [37]. These were no idle words, but words born of a deep love; and it was not surprising that when Sr Elizabeth was required to pray to regain the use her legs, it was Therese to whom she prayed [38]."

There's some other good stuff on there about Thérèse's influence and her relationship with Elizabeth. There's also the book Two Sisters in the Spirit: Therese of Lisieux and Elizabeth of the Trinity by Hans Urs von Balthasar Balthasar, which I've only read small excerpts from but of what I have read I thoroughly enjoyed.

Also, @BarbaraTherese I wanted to tell you I am glad you are posting again, I find your posts insightful and interesting ;)

9 hours ago, Charbel said:

Yes! In this photograph below taken, Elizabeth is a postulant and she is sitting next to Mother Germaine of Jesus who is holding The Story of A Soul and at that time, Thérèse had only died 4 years prior (the photograph was taken August 5, 1901)

bl-eliz.jpg

Now THAT'S a postulant outfit!  It has occurred to me that joining a religious house in the 19th or early 20th century was a great way of getting out of corsets :rolleyes: once one was invested with the habit...

Sr Mary Catharine OP

EoT wore a cape over her regular dress and that frilly head thing. Our postulants wore something similar in the 1920's! Notice is is tied around her head with a bow. I wonder if she wore that all day or just to Choir, etc....and in this photo, obviously.

NadaTeTurbe
3 hours ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

EoT wore a cape over her regular dress and that frilly head thing. Our postulants wore something similar in the 1920's! Notice is is tied around her head with a bow. I wonder if she wore that all day or just to Choir, etc....and in this photo, obviously.

The Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows used to have not a veil, but a "freilly head thing" as part of their regular habit ! 

http://www.ols.org/charism/louisiana-pioneers/

I'm not sure, but this kind of "bonnet" with many "froufrou" were worn all day by women of the bourgeoisie in France but in a more simple way, without bow, around 1850. It became acceptable to be with "naked hairs" inside around 1900 (but not on the streets, of course). But I have not idea how it wents in Carmel ! 

truthfinder
9 hours ago, Antigonos said:

Now THAT'S a postulant outfit!  It has occurred to me that joining a religious house in the 19th or early 20th century was a great way of getting out of corsets :rolleyes: once one was invested with the habit...

I'm pretty sure numerous communities still wore corsets or at least enough layers of underthings to be quite restrictive enough. 

NadaTeTurbe

Wait there's something I missed while reading the article ! Father Marie-Eugene of the Child Jesus, founder of the Notre Dame de Vie secular institute, and writer of "I want to see God" (everyone should read this book) is a blessed ! 

http://www.notredamedevie.org/Biographical-summary

http://www.notredamedevie.org/God-creates-us-free

Afficher l'image d'origine