An Old School Catholic Message Board

SISTERS MAGDALENS BEFORE VATICAN II

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

Do you have any information and photos about Sisters Magdalen (Cloistered Sisters founded by St. Mary Euphrasia) before Vatican II?

They are now known of Contemplative Sisters of the Good Shepherd.

I have researched about them a bit but I came up with limited information.

Thought someone here might be able to help.

There are a few on the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregation_of_Our_Lady_of_Charity_of_the_Good_Shepherd

But this is a hard search to make in Google, cuz you always turn up a bunch of pictures from the Magdalene laundry movies...

@Nunsuch: Do you know of any? (Nunsuch is a historian of religious life, gracian. That's why I call her in.)

graciandelamadrededios
On 3/31/2016, 11:54:58, Gabriela said:

There are a few on the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregation_of_Our_Lady_of_Charity_of_the_Good_Shepherd

But this is a hard search to make in Google, cuz you always turn up a bunch of pictures from the Magdalene laundry movies...

@Nunsuch: Do you know of any? (Nunsuch is a historian of religious life, gracian. That's why I call her in.)

Hi Grabriela!

Thanks for the info.  Wiki, however, listed incorrect info.  Based on research, Carmelite Tertiary Rule was given to the Magdalens but it was not the case.  The foundress, St. Mary Euphrasia gave them the Carmelite Rule and the Constitutions of St. Teresa modified to suit the needs of the penitents.

3 hours ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

Hi Grabriela!

Thanks for the info.  Wiki, however, listed incorrect info.  Based on research, Carmelite Tertiary Rule was given to the Magdalens but it was not the case.  The foundress, St. Mary Euphrasia gave them the Carmelite Rule and the Constitutions of St. Teresa modified to suit the needs of the penitents.

You should correct that Wikipedia entry then. You'll need to cite a source, but it would be a good deed. :) 

graciandelamadrededios
On 4/4/2016, 8:55:57, Gabriela said:

You should correct that Wikipedia entry then. You'll need to cite a source, but it would be a good deed. :) 

Thanks Gabriela,  however, I am not techie and I really dont know how to go about it, thought CGS sent me a booklet about the history of Magdalens origin and their Statutes before Vatican II.