An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about male religious communities

katherineH

katherineH

Hello friends,

I have a question about male religious communities and the priesthood.  It is my understanding that there are religious communities made up entirely of priests (a man enters the community with the expectation that he will go to seminary and be ordained, like the Institute of the Incarnate Word) and communities in which there brothers (who do not go to seminary) as well as men ordained to the priesthood.  Is this correct?  How does discernment to the priesthood work in this situation? Does a man enter the community knowing that he wants to be a priest, or does the community have to discern whether he is to remain a brother or also receive the priesthood? 

It was the Franciscans of the Renewal that triggered this question: I know a lot of them are referred to as "brother" so I wasn't sure if they were in formation for the priesthood or not. 

The policies on discernment for priesthood vary widely from community to community. In some cases, only enough priests are ordained to meet the needs of the community (eg, the Trappists--though that didn't used to be the case). In others, it is a mutual discernment process between individual and community. 

There are also, of course, communities comprised solely of brothers, such as the De La Salle Christian Brothers. Even de la Salle himself was ineligible to become a member of the community he founded, because he was already a priest!

Currently, there is some tension over the "mixed" membership issue. According to canon law, only priests can hold major leadership positions in communities of mixed members. Those, like the OFMs, who have submitted the names of Brothers who have been duly elected as major superiors have found that Rome will reject their choices (these orders are pontifical). This has been very difficult. It was hoped by many, during the 1994 synod on religious life, that at least this policy would change. But it did not. Perhaps Francis, himself a member of a mixed institute, will see things otherwise?

katherineH
4 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

The policies on discernment for priesthood vary widely from community to community. In some cases, only enough priests are ordained to meet the needs of the community (eg, the Trappists--though that didn't used to be the case). In others, it is a mutual discernment process between individual and community. 

There are also, of course, communities comprised solely of brothers, such as the De La Salle Christian Brothers. Even de la Salle himself was ineligible to become a member of the community he founded, because he was already a priest!

Currently, there is some tension over the "mixed" membership issue. According to canon law, only priests can hold major leadership positions in communities of mixed members. Those, like the OFMs, who have submitted the names of Brothers who have been duly elected as major superiors have found that Rome will reject their choices (these orders are pontifical). This has been very difficult. It was hoped by many, during the 1994 synod on religious life, that at least this policy would change. But it did not. Perhaps Francis, himself a member of a mixed institute, will see things otherwise?

thanks!

Also, in mixed communities (such as mine) the discernment of a priestly vocation is separate from that of the religious vocation. So, in the case of the Olivetans, priestly ordination is not considered until you have made solemn profession. in the case of the Subiaco Cassinese congregation of benedictines, it is generally not until you have been in solemn profession for two years is priestluy vocation considered. But with the American Cassinese congregation of Benedictines or at least with St Peter's in SK, you can pursue studies for the priesthood before you make solemn profession.

Benedictus
5 hours ago, katherineH said:

Hello friends,

I have a question about male religious communities and the priesthood.  It is my understanding that there are religious communities made up entirely of priests (a man enters the community with the expectation that he will go to seminary and be ordained, like the Institute of the Incarnate Word) and communities in which there brothers (who do not go to seminary) as well as men ordained to the priesthood.  Is this correct?  How does discernment to the priesthood work in this situation? Does a man enter the community knowing that he wants to be a priest, or does the community have to discern whether he is to remain a brother or also receive the priesthood? 

It was the Franciscans of the Renewal that triggered this question: I know a lot of them are referred to as "brother" so I wasn't sure if they were in formation for the priesthood or not. 

As others have said it depends on the community.

It's important for the man to discern if he feels called to be a religious and a priest when he is exploring various communities and institutes. As each community has a different policy and approach the man needs to make sure he is content with those implications as part of discernment. 

I feel a vocation to be a religious priest so I didn't consider any orders where this wouldn't be possible or the decision wouldn't be made until after final vows. The institute I joined is mixed, although these days the majority pursue studies to become Priests. However, this is explored as part of early discernment and also during the novitiate process in more depth. In our case it's important to get this issue settled because the formation period is very long and fairly structured. It takes us nearly ten years before we take final vows! In other institutes this may not be so much of a concern.

Edited by Benedictus

Sponsa-Christi
5 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

In case anyone was wondering, the reason why only priests can be superiors of mixed institutes is to avoid a problem called "lay investiture," which is when lay people give assignments to priests. Normally, a priest is given as assignment from his bishop, called his "Ordinary," and this implies a certain sharing in his bishop's apostolic authority and mission. For example, if priest is assigned to a parish, he is essentially administering the sacraments there as a direct result of his bishop's identity as a successor to the Apostles. 

Although male religious superiors aren't usually bishops, they are still considered an "Ordinary" to the priests in their community. Because male superiors are priests, this keeps the "chain of command" fully in line with the idea of sacramental authority as result of Apostolic succession. But having a non-ordained person give assignments to priests is a problem because it breaks this chain. 

John Paul
6 hours ago, katherineH said:

Does a man enter the community knowing that he wants to be a priest, or does the community have to discern whether he is to remain a brother or also receive the priesthood? 

One Order has a policy where they have to focus on becoming a brother until solemn vows and if he feels called he petitions it to the community and they decide together whether they should send him to seminary.

Edited by John Paul
misspelled they