An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good article on "missed vocations"

Sponsa-Christi

NadaTeTurbe

Not only the piece is good, but this blog is very interesting ! I'm sometimes bothered by some blogs by catholic mom (posting pictures of the kids, consumerism mindset), but there's very good reflection on this one. Thanks Sponsa. 

BarbTherese

It was a really good article well worth the read - and not long at all.

Humans seem to go through patches now and then where grazing on my side is too dry, too barren -  and the grass is much greener 'over there' and quite common I have been told.  It may not be a change of vocation, it can be some image we have of better circumstances when things seem amiss, and "I would be so happy if only..."...........and nothing it seems to me more unproductive nor conducive to an unhappy unfulfilled life than the "if only" syndrome.

"You have made us for Yourself - and our hearts are restless, Lord, until they rest in Thee" (St Augustine)

Comingback

Thanks for posting these articles. I struggle a lot thinking that I missed out in what God really had planned for me. 

DominicanHeart

I have a great fear. It's the "What if?" Factor of the unknown. Like what if I am supposed to be a nun? What if there really is a guy out there for me? I feel like I don't get any answers. 

BarbTherese
7 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

I have a great fear. It's the "What if?" Factor of the unknown. Like what if I am supposed to be a nun? What if there really is a guy out there for me? I feel like I don't get any answers. 

If I feel God is not answering my prayers, maybe its because I do not like the answer He gives?  My answer is always in the here and now, not in some future possibility, likely or perhaps, what if's - and each an imaginary process only.  God is Reality fully present in the here and now as much as in the future, while the future is the totally unknown other than to Him.  My choices are always in the here and now, since the past no longer exists and I cannot know the future.  My choices might affect in some way my future, but I make them in the here and now.  Someone said something like: leave the past to God's Mercy, the future to His Providence and the now to His Love.

What if I become a nun and leave after a few years?  What if I marry the man of my dreams and he divorces me?  What if.......what if....what if..........

What if.  How would you like to serve, as a nun or as a married woman?  Do you have the necessary qualities and what are they? Go deeper into your options than a floating "what if" and purely imaginary situations.  What if my train crashed on the way to my son's wedding?  What if a  plane fell into my home? What if I got a terminal illness".........what if's can drive one round the bend and miss out completely on living in the here and now - and living in the past or in some purely imaginary future is failing to live in reality.  The past does not exist and we have absolutely no control over the future.  We only have this now in which we are called to love God and neighbour in our now situation......beyond that is God's Providence.

You might need spiritual direction to find some Peace about your vocational path through life - and even guidance and facilitation to live in the here and now.  God might be inviting you to either religious life or to marriage and He might be waiting for you to make your decision about your vocational path through life - spiritual direction.  A quality of Love is commitment.

God bless and keep you and may The Holy Spirit guide and motivate you.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

DominicanHeart
2 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

If I feel God is not answering my prayers, maybe its because I do not like the answer He gives?  My answer is always in the here and now, not in some future possibility, likely or perhaps, what if's - and each an imaginary process only.  God is Reality fully present in the here and now as much as in the future, while the future is the totally unknown other than to Him.  My choices are always in the here and now, since the past no longer exists and I cannot know the future.  My choices might affect in some way my future, but I make them in the here and now.  Someone said something like: leave the past to God's Mercy, the future to His Providence and the now to His Love.

What if I become a nun and leave after a few years?  What if I marry the man of my dreams and he divorces me?  What if.......what if....what if..........

What if.  How would you like to serve, as a nun or as a married woman?  Do you have the necessary qualities and what are they? Go deeper into your options than a floating "what if" and purely imaginary situations.  What if my train crashed on the way to my son's wedding?  What if a  plane fell into my home? What if I got a terminal illness".........what if's can drive one round the bend and miss out completely on living in the here and now - and living in the past or in some purely imaginary future is failing to live in reality.  The past does not exist and we have absolutely no control over the future.  We only have this now in which we are called to love God and neighbour in our now situation......beyond that is God's Providence.

You might need spiritual direction to find some Peace about your vocational path through life - and even guidance and facilitation to live in the here and now.  God might be inviting you to either religious life or to marriage and He might be waiting for you to make your decision about your vocational path through life - spiritual direction.  A quality of Love is commitment.

God bless and keep you and may The Holy Spirit guide and motivate you.

Fabulous points. You should get published 

BarbTherese
8 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

Fabulous points. You should get published 

Thank you, DH.   We all are published, Phatmass being a public forum :shocking:

DominicanHeart
2 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Thank you, DH.   We all are published, Phatmass being a public forum :shocking:

:clapping:

Dominican.Nuns.Menlo
21 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

Fear is often a paralyzing factor and it is unfortunately, part of human nature. This fear can only overcome by the practice of the virtue of trust (it will take practice.) Just imagine that when the father is teaching his little girl to walk, he would always be at her side to catch her if she falls, but he allows her to learn how to walk on her own. And even if she falls, he would be there to comfort her and to give her whatever remedies she needs to recover. :)  

Knowing our human frailty, God keeps telling us to have no fear. One of the nuns actually counted and came up with 365 times God tells us...be not afraid! That's one for each day of the year!

Below are a couple of good quotes from St. Francis de Sales for your meditation each time you feel fearful or have anxiety...about anything! Remember that in every vocational choice, we need to pray and discern (not just about religious life.)

Remembering you in prayers!

Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day.

Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it.

Be at peace, then, put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations, and say continually:

'The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart has trusted in Him and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me and I in Him.'

AND...

Anxiety is the greatest evil that can befall a soul, except sin. God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry.

DominicanHeart
7 hours ago, Dominican.Nuns.Menlo said:

Fear is often a paralyzing factor and it is unfortunately, part of human nature. This fear can only overcome by the practice of the virtue of trust (it will take practice.) Just imagine that when the father is teaching his little girl to walk, he would always be at her side to catch her if she falls, but he allows her to learn how to walk on her own. And even if she falls, he would be there to comfort her and to give her whatever remedies she needs to recover. :)  

Knowing our human frailty, God keeps telling us to have no fear. One of the nuns actually counted and came up with 365 times God tells us...be not afraid! That's one for each day of the year!

Below are a couple of good quotes from St. Francis de Sales for your meditation each time you feel fearful or have anxiety...about anything! Remember that in every vocational choice, we need to pray and discern (not just about religious life.)

Remembering you in prayers!

Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day.

Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it.

Be at peace, then, put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations, and say continually:

'The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart has trusted in Him and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me and I in Him.'

AND...

Anxiety is the greatest evil that can befall a soul, except sin. God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry.

Thank you so much