An Old School Catholic Message Board

Admiration vs Calling

FilleDeStFrancois

FilleDeStFrancois

How is one supposed to know if they just deeply admire religious life vs if they are called to it?

Even though I've only recently started practicing being a better Catholic in the past 6 months, I've been spending more time with religious sisters, and I just love them so (special shout out to the Carmelites for having me disturb their peace, the Little Sisters for speaking French with me, and the Salesians for listening to me cry). I have so much desire to spend time with them. However, I think it may just be from admiration. I also don't want to just ignore a possible vocation to religious life.

What do y'all think? Do many discerners figure out that they just really respected the nuns/sisters and held them in high regard, and were actually called to living single or married life?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, FilleDeStFrancois said:

How is one supposed to know if they just deeply admire religious life vs if they are called to it?

Try it!  if youre interested in a Community tell them so and see how it goes from there.

BarbTherese

Journey to any vocation including religious life is indeed a journey - and I think probably many religious vocations began with admiration.  I agree with Vee's suggestion - and seeking a spiritual director may help in the discerning process.  I think you have begun the journey, simply by asking the questions you have.

God's blessings, my prayers.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The admiration may be the 1st grace of a vocation. Which means you need to respond to it. You'll know if it is the grace of a vocation if it remains and grows from admiration to desire to response. Which can take years or it can take seconds! :-)

Excellent question that way too few people ask. The only way to know is, as the others say, to pursue the vocation. If that turns out not to be it, then it was just admiration.

Not an easy answer, but that's what it is.

BTW: Welcome to Phatmass, Fille!

FilleDeStFrancois

Thank y'all! I find it hard to commit to hanging out with the different orders... I guess I get nervous when things become more serious. And my mother is 100% against my becoming a sister/nun.

I'm excited to be a part of this community. Really appreciate the encouragement, truth, and prayers!

Just in case anyone is wondering, my username means Daughter of St. Francis in French. : ] 

On 6/10/2016 at 1:53 PM, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

The admiration may be the 1st grace of a vocation. Which means you need to respond to it. You'll know if it is the grace of a vocation if it remains and grows from admiration to desire to response. Which can take years or it can take seconds! :-)

1 hour ago, Gabriela said:

Excellent question that way too few people ask. The only way to know is, as the others say, to pursue the vocation. If that turns out not to be it, then it was just admiration.

Not an easy answer, but that's what it is.

BTW: Welcome to Phatmass, Fille!