An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phamilton?

LittleWaySoul

Phamilton?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

51 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said:

this isn't just a pretentious fad on a global scale.

There's also critical acclaim for the outrageous pricing of the tickets, which seems appallingly hypocritical when you're casting a bunch of minorities, presumably to make a statement about social justice and equality and whatnot, yet the large majority of non-whites could never afford tickets to see it.

To me, that screams "liberal white-people feel-good bull$hite".

Edited by Gabriela

I LOVE HAMILTON.

My best friend, who can't stand rap/hip-hop, loves Hamilton. 

I don't know anyone IRL who doesn't like Hamilton. 

LittleWaySoul
On 7/2/2016 at 2:17 PM, Gabriela said:

There's also critical acclaim for the outrageous pricing of the tickets, which seems appallingly hypocritical when you're casting a bunch of minorities, presumably to make a statement about social justice and equality and whatnot, yet the large majority of non-whites could never afford tickets to see it.

To me, that screams "liberal white-people feel-good bull$hite".

I'm not trying to force you to like it or anything, of course. I'd just like to respond to your impression of it as hypocritical. I don't think it is (or its creators are). First, one doesn't need to actually see the show to resonate with its story or music. A vast majority of fans have probably only listened to the album (and, if they're like me, watched every legal clip of the show released thus far). The value of the music isn't something that necessitates the stage performance to be appreciated. It's also loved by people across the political spectrum. Further, have you ever heard about ticket bots? I hadn't before Hamilton, actually. A huge reason the tickets are so expensive is because second-hand ticket sellers have software ("bots") they use to buy tickets instantly when they come on sale and re-sell them at a much higher price (article written by Hamilton creator Lin Manuel Miranda). The creators of Hamilton have actually been instrumental in advocating for anti-ticket bot legislation. Not only that, but through initiatives like Ham4Ham (outdoor performances prior to the show), the lottery (a lottery you can enter to win front row seat tickets to the show for a mere "Hamilton," or $10 [this isn't new to Hamilton, but they're continuing it to help people get a chance at seeing the show]), and most importantly, EduHam, an initiative where New York City public school students are given the opportunity not only to see the show for $10, but also to perform their own original historical songs/poems/and covers for the cast! Yes, the regular ticket price is outrageous, but the creators, cast, and crew of the show are making huge strides to make Hamilton (and Broadway as a whole) more accessible to those who cannot afford such high prices. 

It's also heading to other places besides NYC soon, and then on tour, and thus will become more and more accessible to those who wish to go. :) I can't wait until I can see it!

On 7/2/2016 at 4:13 PM, Amppax said:

I LOVE HAMILTON.

My best friend, who can't stand rap/hip-hop, loves Hamilton. 

I don't know anyone IRL who doesn't like Hamilton. 

Same, actually. I don't personally know anyone who has listened to it and doesn't love it. @Gabriela, if you'd like to be the first, I'd be interested in hearing a critical opinion of it. There are flaws in the show, sure, but none that I see as coming close to overpowering how good it is overall.

Token Ham image of the post:

ham.jpg

42 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said:

I'm not trying to force you to like it or anything, of course. I'd just like to respond to your impression of it as hypocritical. I don't think it is (or its creators are). First, one doesn't need to actually see the show to resonate with its story or music. A vast majority of fans have probably only listened to the album (and, if they're like me, watched every legal clip of the show released thus far). The value of the music isn't something that necessitates the stage performance to be appreciated. It's also loved by people across the political spectrum. Further, have you ever heard about ticket bots? I hadn't before Hamilton, actually. A huge reason the tickets are so expensive is because second-hand ticket sellers have software ("bots") they use to buy tickets instantly when they come on sale and re-sell them at a much higher price (article written by Hamilton creator Lin Manuel Miranda). The creators of Hamilton have actually been instrumental in advocating for anti-ticket bot legislation. Not only that, but through initiatives like Ham4Ham (outdoor performances prior to the show), the lottery (a lottery you can enter to win front row seat tickets to the show for a mere "Hamilton," or $10 [this isn't new to Hamilton, but they're continuing it to help people get a chance at seeing the show]), and most importantly, EduHam, an initiative where New York City public school students are given the opportunity not only to see the show for $10, but also to perform their own original historical songs/poems/and covers for the cast! Yes, the regular ticket price is outrageous, but the creators, cast, and crew of the show are making huge strides to make Hamilton (and Broadway as a whole) more accessible to those who cannot afford such high prices. 

It's also heading to other places besides NYC soon, and then on tour, and thus will become more and more accessible to those who wish to go. :) I can't wait until I can see it!

Same, actually. I don't personally know anyone who has listened to it and doesn't love it. @Gabriela, if you'd like to be the first, I'd be interested in hearing a critical opinion of it. There are flaws in the show, sure, but none that I see as coming close to overpowering how good it is overall.

Token Ham image of the post:

ham.jpg

I don't mean to hijack your thread with negativity, either. I'm just always skeptical of the popular, especially when it's so mainstream PC like this and costs so much only the rich can enjoy it. In any case, I will look into it, and I won't make any judgment of the artistic quality of the production until then, because that would be terribly unfair to do without having actually seen or heard it.

I'm glad you enjoy it so much, and I hope that you get to see it live when it goes on tour! :) 

veritasluxmea

I have on friend on social media who posts almost daily about it, so that's the only reason I know it exists. Took me a while to catch on she was posting about a Broadway play, I thought it was a movie at first. No one else I know seems interested- this is the the only other place I've seen it mentioned. 

I thought les Mis was good, so I'd probably enjoy watching Hamilton as well. I saw Mary Poppins on Broadway a while back and loved it. Amazing how they told an old story in a completely fresh form. Broadway plays are something else, really great art. 

LittleWaySoul
37 minutes ago, veritasluxmea said:

I have on friend on social media who posts almost daily about it, so that's the only reason I know it exists. Took me a while to catch on she was posting about a Broadway play, I thought it was a movie at first. No one else I know seems interested- this is the the only other place I've seen it mentioned. 

I thought les Mis was good, so I'd probably enjoy watching Hamilton as well. I saw Mary Poppins on Broadway a while back and loved it. Amazing how they told an old story in a completely fresh form. Broadway plays are something else, really great art. 

Right?? Funny story, but I really didn't like the movie A Christmas Story, so when my mom got us tickets to go see the musical adaptation, I wasn't too excited. But it was actually super great! Very heartwarming. I think the story really lent itself well to being a musical (in my opinion, better than it did to being a film).

I need to listen to the Mary Poppins musical. I don't think I ever have before.

• 3 weeks later...
LittleWaySoul

It's time for.... HAMILMEMES. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

...and a Les Mis one for good measure. 

image.jpeg

Edited by LittleWaySoul

LittleWaySoul
On 25 luglio 2016 at 3:29 PM, MIKolbe said:

I liked him better when he was on House™

I haven't seen that episode. I heard the other day that House is meant to be sorta modeled on Sherlock Holmes and idk if that was common knowledge or what but my mind was blown. 

Edited by LittleWaySoul