An Old School Catholic Message Board

Brexit

Amppax

7 hours ago, beatitude said:

The 'Leave' campaign was basically driven by xenophobic shouting about foreigners and immigrants and nothing else - again, there's a reason why it was most aggressively supported by UKIP, who  are basically the BNP in suits - and it angers me that people could not see past the smokescreen to all the issues that are at stake.

This was probably the biggest reason I was against Brexit, particularly because it will embolden other right-wing nationalists in a way that I don't think is good. 

Also, for those that think John Oliver is funny, his segment on Brexit is really funny. 

NadaTeTurbe
2 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

As for other EU nations leaving, I hear they're calling for national referendums in France and the Netherlands.

A facist, racist, antisemitic party, the FN, is calling for a referendum in France. It will never happen. 

43 minutes ago, Amppax said:

This was probably the biggest reason I was against Brexit, particularly because it will embolden other right-wing nationalists in a way that I don't think is good. 

I think societies always struggle trying to balance rights of individuals and larger groups.   There is an element of xenophobia, but I feel it was overblown, both sides of it, ny Stay and Remain sides because it Is a simpler argument to make with clearer sides than arguing for a higher degree of autonomy and better regulating immigrants.  We can't be border less, but a wall is ridiculous.   Nobody wants to compromise with a moat and wide bridge.   

Economic independence and being more responsive to a particular nations needs and wants I think was a large factor.   Arguing that to the population is not as definable or clear so it devolved into immigrants and other nations sucking up resources and jobs. 

Nihil Obstat

What we need is another good old fashioned Anglo vs. Franco war. Get Spain in on either side.

1 hour ago, PhuturePriest said:

Just saw this from Father Jonathan Morris' official page:

13536119_1150688914951946_49082927_n.png

I also hoped they'd withdraw for this very reason, i.e., the self-determination of states. Also, I don't think over-immigration is anything to bat one's eyelashes at. It's a serious problem. It's easy to cry "nationalism!" and "racism!" and "xenophobia!", but a country's sense of unity is heavily impacted by the proportion of natives to newcomers, and that delicate balance is easy to throw off, with terrible social consequences. Yes, we should be welcoming of and hospitable to newcomers, but newcomers in very large numbers often bring with them a sense that the social fabric is falling apart. And no one benefits from that, either immigrants or natives. It's not just hatred that makes people feel threatened; it's a sense that their way of life is dying before their very eyes. We all have a right to wish and strive for the preservation of our culture—natives included.

All that being said, in Israel I learned very quickly that, when it comes to the political decisions of nations where you are not a citizen, it's best to mind your own beaver dam bizness. I'm sure this issue is much more complex than I, as an American, can comprehend, and anyway, the consequences do not directly impact me, my job, or my everyday life as it does Britains', so I say: "Britain, do what suits ya'."

IgnatiusofLoyola

Ah, I finally learn the origin of the insult, "....smells of elderberries." (Yes, I saw the movie, but it was a long time ago. :idontknow: )

46 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

All that being said, in Israel I learned very quickly that, when it comes to the political decisions of nations where you are not a citizen, it's best to mind your own beaver dam bizness. I'm sure this issue is much more complex than I, as an American, can comprehend, and anyway, the consequences do not directly impact me, my job, or my everyday life as it does Britains', so I say: "Britain, do what suits ya'."

I had been taking this attitude until the U.S. stock market dropped over 600 points today. Whoops. Well, what goes down eventually comes up and is only a "paper loss" until you sell the stock. (Repeat this mantra to yourself as many times as needed.)

28 minutes ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

I had been taking this attitude until the U.S. stock market dropped over 600 points today. Whoops. Well, what goes down eventually comes up and is only a "paper loss" until you sell the stock. (Repeat this mantra to yourself as many times as needed.)

If you didn't take the "it's not my business, it's your country" attitude, would you reserve the right to dictate financial or economic policy to the United States? Cuz I can tell ya, Israel sure hates that everyone's all up in their business as if they actually understood what it's like to live in Israel on a day-to-day basis. Nobody understands that but Israelis. Just like nobody understands what it's like to be British or American except the British and Americans.

And where would you draw the line? We could use the "butterfly effect" to justify Ghana having a say in the smallest decision in American or British internal policy.

It's best everybody mind their own business. What comes to you from other countries' decisions will come to you, but at least YOU get to control what YOUR country does.

Subsidiarity: It's good policy.