An Old School Catholic Message Board

Passionist Nuns

Kateri89

Most people here are familiar with the Passionist Nuns in Whitesville, KY.  Unfortunately, I don't know if many people know about the Passionist Nuns in Pittsburgh, PA.  I would love to see a renewed interest in this particular branch since Pittsburgh needs more of a presence of women religious, even if they're cloistered.  Here is their website http://www.passionistnunspgh.org/index.html

I've also emailed them to ask if I can offer any material/spiritual assistance to them.  I don't know how many nuns are at this convent but nothing makes me sadder than to see a community dwindle.  I've visited their chapel before and it's small but very beautiful.  If material assistance is not something you can afford, please pray for them.  Thanks!

I would love to do what I can to help them! I just need to know what they need! (beside prayers of course!) ;)

FlowerofCarmel

I will pray for them for Vocations. Its beautiful to see religious in traditional habit in America.

I've been in their chapel (while I was visiting Pittsburgh), but never seen or talked to any of the sisters. My impression is they are (intentionally) much more hidden than the Whitesville sisters. I've heard they're also more traditional in terms of their strictness about technology and contact with the world and whatnot. I wouldn't assume they're dwindling. When a community is consciously very cut off like that, it's really hard to know. You've done well by asking them outright, although recognize they may choose not to answer questions about their numbers.

1 hour ago, Gabriela said:

I've been in their chapel (while I was visiting Pittsburgh), but never seen or talked to any of the sisters. My impression is they are (intentionally) much more hidden than the Whitesville sisters. I've heard they're also more traditional in terms of their strictness about technology and contact with the world and whatnot. I wouldn't assume they're dwindling. When a community is consciously very cut off like that, it's really hard to know. You've done well by asking them outright, although recognize they may choose not to answer questions about their numbers.

This is very true.  I just worry that because they're more hidden, fewer women know about them to even consider discerning with them.  And they're one of the only solid orders in Pittsburgh that I'm aware of so I hope they remain around for a long time.  I'm not discerning with them but I'm really grateful that they're praying for us.

There are PCCs on the coast of Virginia somewhere (not Barhamsville), and they're so hidden hardly anyone knows they exist. And yet they seem to do alright. People looking really hard for a very hidden life know it must be hard to find, so they look hard, but once they find it, they know that it really is the life they want—cuz it was so hard to find!

My point is: Don't worry about them. Just pray for them, and tell everyone you know about them! 

;) 

truthfinder
2 hours ago, Gabriela said:

There are PCCs on the coast of Virginia somewhere (not Barhamsville), and they're so hidden hardly anyone knows they exist. And yet they seem to do alright. People looking really hard for a very hidden life know it must be hard to find, so they look hard, but once they find it, they know that it really is the life they want—cuz it was so hard to find!

My point is: Don't worry about them. Just pray for them, and tell everyone you know about them! 

;) 

Are you thinking of Alexandria?

It's hard to know that they're even Colletines except for the fact that in the Superiors name, she has PCC written.  

On 7/3/2016 at 9:46 PM, truthfinder said:

Are you thinking of Alexandria?

It's hard to know that they're even Colletines except for the fact that in the Superiors name, she has PCC written.  

I think it's Alexandria. I just know it's north of Barhamsville and close to the coast. I always forget which city it's in.

Well anyway, the Passionist nuns sent me this emailed reply:

Thank you for being so thoughtful.  What we most appreciate at this time are prayers, especially for vocations.  We don't ask for anything, but we accept and are grateful for donations of any kind.  May God reward your kindness.

Have a blessed day,
Passionist Nuns

11 hours ago, Kateri89 said:

Well anyway, the Passionist nuns sent me this emailed reply:

Thank you for being so thoughtful.  What we most appreciate at this time are prayers, especially for vocations.  We don't ask for anything, but we accept and are grateful for donations of any kind.  May God reward your kindness.

Have a blessed day,
Passionist Nuns

Lol. Yeah.

Love the video on the Passionist website that Kateri89 provided!  If anyone didn't see it, log on (directly) to http://www.passionistnunspgh.org/home-v9_005.htm

Not a single word is uttered, but a lot is said 'bout their life!  We have a retreat house--St. Paul of the Cross--run by Passionist priests in Detroit...and the retreat master I had actually spoke about (and promoted!)  the Pittsburgh community!