An Old School Catholic Message Board

Setting up an easily located blog

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

I have got personal reasons why setting up a blog gives me the heebie-jeebies.  Might be time I got over it......... perhaps..

Question:  What would be the best way to set up a blog so those seeking information on private vows (evangelical counsels) in the lay state in secular life could readily locate it via Google I would imagine. 

It does need to be noted that I would have to be considered a dummy on computer related matters, very basic knowledge only.

I have been asked why I don't set up such a blog far more than once.

My thread titled  "Home Mass Private Vows" in Open Mic has now run to 16 pages on my computer (from Jan 25, 2014 - July 8, 2016....326 posts) and I am very much in the main the sole contributor.   So far, insofar as Phatmass moderation and administration seems to be concerned, the thread has been permitted to continue - unless it is under the radar which I doubt, but not impossible I guess.  How much longer it will be permitted to continue, I don't know of course.  It might be time while I can still access the info in that thread to consider a blog.  However, my decision not as yet actually made.

All assistance appreciated.

(I wanted to insert @dUSt but it wont work for me as a link, but was able to get it to work in my thread "Home Mass - Private VBows"  with a link to this thread)

Link to thread "Home Mass - Private Vows" Page 1

Edited by BarbaraTherese

PS When I initiated the thread on private vows with a Home Mass, I had no idea it would go on as long as it has.  At the time, my overall plan was that it would cover up to and including the journey to and embracing the actual Home Mass and then cease - but I just continued to rave on......and on .....and on unabated .......covering many subjects directly or indirectly related to private vows.

........like the sound of my own voice for sure -  but not the only reason............

I'm not an internet genius, but I do know that making a blog easy to find in Google has a lot to do (everything to do, actually) with how you "index" it. Using the right keywords in the right places (post titles, page keyword sections, etc.) is critical. Also, the more other similar pages you link to, and who link to you, the better your rankings. And there is some connection to the number of Google-indexed ads you allow on the page as well. Plus there are things called "metatags" that make a huge difference in where you appear in the rankings.

All this can be researched online, or you can just buy a "blogging for dummies" book that would help you understand it all. Some blog platforms make it easier to improve your Google search rankings than others. SquareSpace, for example, which I've used before, has an "auto-indexing" feature that automatically improves your rankings, and they also offer a service that you can pay for, where someone will go through your pages and optimize all your metatags and keywords so you get the best possible search rankings. But SquareSpace charges annually. (If you've got the money, I recommend it. It's a great platform.)

What I do not recommend is a Wordpress blog. With that, you're 100% on your own, and Wordpress can be really hard to manage. If you just want a really small, simple website for free, you should try Wix or Weebly. They make it easy to build a website, and they're free, but you'd have to do the Google indexing work yourself.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I've said something inaccurate and/or stupid in here.

Thanks Gabriela for the effort and time, the sharing.  I am inclined more and more that a blog would not be a wise move for me.  I am indeed a computer dummy and it all sounds too complex.  Each time I have gone into setting up a blog, I get confused by what is the complexity of it all ......... to me ......... hence I don't think it is a good move for me. I just do not understand the ins and outs of the internet - all I can do is type quickly and in the main quite accurately.   It took me a while before I got the hang of discussion sites even.

I tried Facebook once, but where it said something like "What is on your mind?" I thought a someone was addressing me and I kept replying with things like "Why do you want to know what I am thinking?" "Who are you anyway?" etc etc :hehe2:..........and the only reply I ever received was "What is on your mind?"  I abandoned Facebook because I could not make head nor tail of it all.  Trying to find out how to remove myself completely from Facebook took me a very long time before I actually effected it.

But thank you for all you have shared.  At this point I am not going further with the thought of a blog............but time can change things and I am putting your post into my files as a just in case.

Regards.........Barb :) 

Edited by BarbaraTherese