An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can we please somehow get this guy elected president?

Seven77

LittleWaySoul
37 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

I'm trying to find a third party candidate but so far they all seem like cranks. This Joe person has been running for prez forever on various tickets including the Green Party. The ASP platform is against selling alcohol. At this point I'm going to write in a name, probably my governor, John Kasich, who isn't perfect but who angers the right people on both the left and right. 

I wish Kasich had somehow gotten the Republicab nomination. 

17 hours ago, Socrates said:

Not sure exactly what kind of a response you're wanting or expecting.  I thought it would be pretty obvious and predictable what a constitutional conservative would think about a would-be gun-grabbing, amnesty-promoting leftist who advocates aggressive government interference in the market and private industry and agriculture (which, contrary to the rhetoric, would increase poverty, rather than relieve it), enforcement of even more draconian "environmental" regulations by federal bureaucracies like the EPA, government hand-outs based on skin color, etc., etc.

In short, I think most of his stated positions would be a disaster for our country and for constitutional rule of law.  I'm not sure why exactly I'm supposed to get excited at the idea of throwing away a vote on a big-government, statist "protest" candidate.  We already have two such candidates in our major party nominees.

I guess I'm supposed to be mightily impressed that someone used the word "subsidiarity." However, many of his policies would in practice be quite the opposite. If Mr. Schriner wants to ditch his big-gov statism, and get the federal government out of what it has no business doing, and leave all those things that are not enumerated powers of the federal government to the states and people, he  might deserve more consideration.  Until then, he and his ilk can shove it.

Why don't you stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel about him?

2 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

I wish Kasich had somehow gotten the Republicab nomination. 

The funny thing is he is an ex-Catholic. 

PhuturePriest
1 hour ago, Amppax said:

Wait, really? Well, this changes things, perhaps I am politically homeless. 

Also, Socrates, you basically responded as expected, though I expected more condemnation of the idea that anything virtuous could come from what you deem "leftist."

It seems to me that most serious Catholics in America are finding themselves politically homeless in this election cycle. We've been ousted by the major parties, and the minor parties don't offer a lot of appeal, either.

I've said it again and again, but I will do it once more:

13903290_1175210325833138_48544863162012

LittleWaySoul
53 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

The funny thing is he is an ex-Catholic. 

Really? Huh, didn't know that. Regardless, he's done pretty well in Ohio and he's moderate enough that I think he'd be good at both swaying centric/left centric voters to his side and at engaging Congress in a productive way. Alas...

Crisis averted. The American Solidarity Party doesn't oppose the sale of alcohol, simply the participation of the state in "legal vice" such as gambling, alcohol, or drugs. I suppose I could get behind that. 

Well, now I have a little political cardboard box to call home. Better than nothing. 

11 hours ago, Maggyie said:

I'm trying to find a third party candidate but so far they all seem like cranks. This Joe person has been running for prez forever on various tickets including the Green Party. The ASP platform is against selling alcohol. At this point I'm going to write in a name, probably my governor, John Kasich, who isn't perfect but who angers the right people on both the left and right. 

Kasich . . . I'd as soon vote for a pile of dog doo.

The ASP platform is against selling alcohol.

If true, they've lost me right there.

12 hours ago, Socrates said:

Kasich . . . I'd as soon vote for a pile of dog doo.

If true, they've lost me right there.

In their platform it says:

"We oppose the participation of public agencies in legal vices, such as gambling and the sake of recreational drugs and alcohol." So, reading closer, apparently they just don't want the government involved in that "vice."

Ash Wednesday

I've voted for Joe in the past. I'm in a solid blue state and especially being left with the Don and Hill, I'm definitely not "with her" and I don't trust Trump at all so I may find a 3rd party again.

This election got me like:

tumblr_nk99fhuymq1qhnoouo1_400.gif

On August 1, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Amppax said:

Crisis averted. The American Solidarity Party doesn't oppose the sale of alcohol, simply the participation of the state in "legal vice" such as gambling, alcohol, or drugs. I suppose I could get behind that. 

Well, now I have a little political cardboard box to call home. Better than nothing. 

You beat me to it :blush:

You know, I don't understand American elections. I know this is a huge generalisation, but the impression given is that Catholics will support anyone who opposes abortion, regardless of their other policies. If you care so much about human life get rid of the guns and provide free health care to those who can't afford it on their own.

2 hours ago, Anselm said:

You know, I don't understand American elections. I know this is a huge generalisation, but the impression given is that Catholics will support anyone who opposes abortion, regardless of their other policies. If you care so much about human life get rid of the guns and provide free health care to those who can't afford it on their own.

The "get rid of the guns" thing is not so simple (and I say this as someone who supports a certain amount of gun control). In the first place, the right to bear arms is a constitutional right here, and the way it's been interpreted in our law has been to allow for largely unregulated ownership of firearms. Firearms are a big part of our culture, for better or worse. To "get rid of guns" would most likely involve a constitutional amendment, and I doubt that could ever happen. Firearms are not intrinsically evil, and have plenty of legitimate uses (hunting, sports, legitimate self-defense). It is nowhere near as important a moral issue as abortion. 

Health care is a different debate, and one which I don't necessarily have enough knowledge of to get into. However, there's a big difference trying to do nationalized health care in a nation of 300 million+ and a smaller nation (such as Great Britain). I believe that our society could certainly do a better job in regards providing for those who are unable to provide these things for themselves. 

Edited by Amppax

Nihil Obstat

Healthcare is a massively complex issue, and 'universal health care' is not a magical be all end all solution. That is too shallow and simplistic. A true, substantive solution to the systemic problems in the American system would be/will be the work of multiple generations, in all likelihood.

PhuturePriest

Vote me and I will solve all of these problems. I have the solutions, and unlike these petty politicians, I will get them done without congress' help or consent.

Just send three easy payments of $1,000,0000 into my account beginning tomorrow and ending this weekend (PM me for account details) and I will be your political savior. As proof of my greatness, I will even negotiate with those who can't afford that amount in such a short time frame and instead opt for twelve easy payments of $500,000 over a period of two weeks.