An Old School Catholic Message Board

One Man's Reflections on a Monastic Life Retreat

Luigi

Jacob Hayden spent a month with the Trappist monks at Guadalupe abbey in Oregon. He reflects on the schedule, the prayer, the work, and the attitudes of the monks, as well as his own thoughts. Some people might find it interesting - or at least informative. Hayden writes articulately (although some of his spelling could use benefit from a few revelations ....)

http://trappistabbey.org/?page_id=1644

Edited by Luigi

Thanks for sharing this.  It reminded me of a book I particularly liked titled, Voices of Silence by Frank Bianco.  I would highly recommend it.

I spend a week at a Trappist Abbey so it was nice reading about his experience. A little envious that he got to drive tractors - I had to iron habits and repair socks (it wasn't that bad but not as fun as driving tractors and ATVs). 

The nuns never told me that I should relax so I DIDN'T (big mistake). 

8 hours ago, Gabriela said:

I wonder why it always seems to be the Trappists who inspire people to journal about their retreats...

:idontknow:

Maybe they want to be the next Thomas Merton. :)) 

15 hours ago, Antonella said:

I spend a week at a Trappist Abbey so it was nice reading about his experience. A little envious that he got to drive tractors - I had to iron habits and repair socks (it wasn't that bad but not as fun as driving tractors and ATVs). 

The nuns never told me that I should relax so I DIDN'T (big mistake). 

Maybe they want to be the next Thomas Merton. :)) 

;) 

1a1rrd.jpg