An Old School Catholic Message Board

Out of the Mouths of Priests

Gabriela

1 minute ago, Nihil Obstat said:

You are missing a critical distinction, between knowledge of the moral law, and failure to uphold it. The loss of a single soul is a tragedy, especially when those souls are misled by heresy. More tragic still when that heresy comes from the mouths of those who lead others in the practice of religion. Our God died for these people, yet they reject His love and His suffering.

On the other hand, knowledge of the moral law is a treasure of inestimable value. It is among the greatest gifts God has given us. He tells us clearly, through the Church and through His priests, how best to serve Him. That is the joy of truth.

yeah, so maybe throw in a frowny face with the smiley face next time. I missed the "critical distinction" because it wasn't anywhere to be found in your first post.

In the future I would appreciate that you not make such negative assumptions about me.

Can't make any promises man. Although, I wasn't necessarily making an assumption this time. Just trying to point out how your initial post could easily be read as reinforcing stereotypes.

1 minute ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Are you accusing me of lying?

If you mean concerning your statement that he said it was mortal sin, no, I took that statement at face value.

2 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

Triggered by a smiley face. :)

That would at least give you one more person to complain to other than Soc, Nihil and I. :)

You call it complaining, I call it correcting my brothers in Christ who have fallen into error.

2 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

Triggered by a smiley face. :)

Yeah I think I'm going to have Dust put trigger warnings on all posts with emoticons. Or just ban them all outright. Haven't decided.

Thank you for reminding me why I absolutely cannot stand this site sometimes. But sure, I will be a convenient villain for anyone who wants one.

you seem to get really defensive when anyone attempts to take you to task. It's not even a big deal. Try to lighten up. This is over a smiley. That's kind of funny right?

KnightofChrist
3 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Yeah I think I'm going to have Dust put trigger warnings on all posts with emoticons. Or just ban them all outright. Haven't decided.

You should totally do that and find other nickpick lame reasons to 'reinforce stereotypes'. :)

2 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

you seem to get really defensive when anyone attempts to take you to task. It's not even a big deal. Try to lighten up. This is over a smiley. That's kind of funny right?

This post needs more smiley faces so we can reinforce some stereotypes.

Just now, KnightofChrist said:

You should totally do that and find other nickpick lame reasons to 'reinforce stereotypes'. :)

ok so I'm sensing a lot of hostility. Can no one see how an image of a smiley guy next to mortal sin might convey (yay people burn in hell!)? I don't think Nihil really thinks that, but that's what a lurker or someone else reading might think. Maybe. Or maybe I'm just super super dumb and don't understand communicumations.

and I hate to be nitpicky but it's "nitpick" :P

5 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

This post needs more smiley faces so we can reinforce some stereotypes.

Look, I've heard trads bemoaning the poor treatment they get because of unfair stereotypes. Do we agree there?

So you can type on your little keyboard statements that reinforce those stereotypes, or things that combat them. But y'all really do seem to have a PR problem. If you really want to bring more people into the fold don't take advice from an idiot like me. (Even though I'm a traditionalist-sympathizer and actually just doing the little I can to look out for y'alls)

I hope neither of y'all are emotional about this one stupid argument that went from a simple comment to absurdity.

Feel free to report my posts if you are as all the other Mediators of Meh are cooler than me anyway.

Ok, so now I feel bad.

Sorry to @Nihil Obstat and @KnightofChrist if I've upset or irritated you. No hard feelings?

I think it might do us all well to remember a lot (tone, body language, facial expression etc) is lost over the internet. Sometimes I think I'm being funny and I'm not.

<3 PopeFrancis
43 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

More tragic still when that heresy comes from the mouths of those who lead others in the practice of religion.

From these heretical races created when The Magesterium became un "official" come the people (not God's people) who since let's be real here, the reign of Pope Pius X have prayed rosaries so "Our Lady" promises will save us, victim souls, people who suffered "for our salvation" .  This generation owes much to them.  If leftist Traditionists believe in their own rhetoric, they are not going to be saved unless there is something you are not telling us which would then nullify it for all of us.

:):incense:

The heretic hunter has become the hunted 

5 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Ok, so now I feel bad.

Sorry to @Nihil Obstat

:beg:me too

Edited by <3 PopeFrancis

KnightofChrist
23 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Ok, so now I feel bad.

Sorry to @Nihil Obstat and @KnightofChrist if I've upset or irritated you. No hard feelings?

I think it might do us all well to remember a lot (tone, body language, facial expression etc) is lost over the internet. Sometimes I think I'm being funny and I'm not.

None, it's otay.

While I didn't love what you said, I was being silly not hostile, because I thought the whole smiley face thing was silly. T'was but a smiley face. :P And people should believe what they believe is the truth or they shouldn't bother believing it. Nihil believes attending services of a false religion does endanger souls. Peace believes attending non-catholic religious services doesn't endanger souls. Both are wrong, or only one is correct. We can have a civil discussion without being too seriously silly about. You know hopefully, maybe, could be. :topsy::topsy::topsy::topsy::topsy:

6 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

None, it's otay.

While I didn't love what you said, I was being silly not hostile, because I thought the whole smiley face thing was silly. T'was but a smiley face. :P And people should believe what they believe is the truth or they shouldn't bother believing it. Nihil believes attending services of a false religion does endanger souls. Peace believes attending non-catholic religious services doesn't endanger souls. Both are wrong, or only one is correct. We can have a civil discussion without being too seriously silly about. You know hopefully, maybe, could be. :topsy::topsy::topsy::topsy::topsy:

ok good :). As much as I sound like a jackarse sometimes I really don't like making folks feel bad.

I once went to confession with an Irish priest.  After confessing my sins, there was a bit of a long pause.  Finally, in his Irish brogue, Father says to me, "Yer nade a gran' keck in de arse."  

:lol4:

One of my fave all time "priest quotes."    

Traditionalists enjoy talking about hellfire and damnation a little too much sometimes. It's a very interesting psychological aspect, not unique to Catholicism. I remember in my trad days thinking... Some of these folks get way more out of the grim parts of the Bible than I do. The whole "there is joy in the truth" is accurate but let's be real, it often functions as a cover for some strangeness. I knew a lady who played these harsh scary sermons like she was putting on a Motown record. I mean why is an FSSP priest preaching on that stuff? Presumably everyone already agrees who goes there. It's this weird phenomenon where people go to a parish to be told over and over what they already think, like a political rally. No growth... Just, confirm me and make me feel good. The libs do it too. Weird. 

23 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

I once went to confession with an Irish priest.  After confessing my sins, there was a bit of a long pause.  Finally, in his Irish brogue, Father says to me, "Yer nade a gran' keck in de arse."  

:lol4:

One of my fave all time "priest quotes."    

The only time I went to confession with an Irish priest, he concluded with, "Now get out there and be a saint, and say one Hail Mary."

This has become my motto for life. It simplifies things. Not quite as simple as a keck in de arse, maybe, but simple enough for me to remember and grasp onto when I'm in a muddle.