An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Like to Help Me Out?

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

DECEMBER 13, 2016 / OUR FRANCISCAN FIAT

IMG_0896.JPGI’ve been in the wonderful world of blogging for about two years now – or should I say, “not so wonderful”?

It started with our St. Anne’s Scoop late in November of 2014.  The following February, after discussion with our superior, Sr. Ann Marie, I began this blog, Our Franciscan Fiat.

Although I have a background in writing, writing these posts does not always come easily to me.

Sometimes, such as this evening, I want to post something to maintain my schedule, but I cannot find any inspiration.

So, I thought…why not ask my audience?

What do you think?  What would you like to read about?

I have created a handy-dandy form which I would encourage you to fill out for me.

PS: While I’m getting your help with the blog, might I also ask the help of your prayers or any pointers you might have on another topic?:

I’ve been asked to speak at a men’s and women’s discernment retreat this coming weekend and I am not accustomed to much public speaking.  We are to share our stories and talk about the meaning of religious life.  It is sponsored by the NDSU Newman Center, but open to men and women aged 18-30.

Thanks and God bless you!

Well, hmmm.  I imagine that you're wracking your brain for ideas----I know I would!!  Have you looked at other Nun blogs such as Summitdominicans.org and Desertnuns.com? To me, the 3 blogs (yours and theirs) are very different, in a good way!  

About speaking of discernment, I'm not the expert but how about starting with an ice breaker, explain what discernment is, share YOUR story, how discernment can sneak up on you in the most unexpected way and wrap it up.  When I have to speak, I usually tie in a topic or experience that  I'm comfortable with.  My stomach still doesn't like it

Sister Leticia

"Sometimes, such as this evening, I want to post something to maintain my schedule, but I cannot find any inspiration."

Is this a schedule you've set for yourself, to blog every 2-3 days or something like that? Maybe you just need to relax it. I know someone who blogs virtually every day, and there are times when it does read as though she had to hunt around for something to write about. I think she has developed an expectation in herself that she will post as often as she does, and finds it hard not to even if she's uninspired or has a full day. But I think the quality of her posts suffers on her less inspired days - and probably she doesn't have a good day either, if she's forcing herself to be creative!

So why not say to yourself that you will endeavour to post at least once a week, and then see what happens? You might find this difficult at first, but stick with it. I think that once you stop feeling obliged to write more than once a week you might find yourself getting more creative and inspired, and happily writing more often.

I agree with Sister Letitia. Another idea--could you ask some of your sisters to serve as "guest bloggers" occasionally? Maybe let a senior sister tell her story--or a candidate? Maybe have a sister talk about dealing with grief, or with a change in ministry? Maybe ask different sisters to write about what being Franciscan means to them? I realize that this is part of your responsibility, but there is no reason why others can't speak, as well.

With regard to public speaking, just remember that the people in your audience are just people, and they want to hear your story.  You don't need to be perfect.  The the more imperfect (human) you are, the better they will be able to connect with you. 

sr.christinaosf

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have heard that more frequent blogs receive better traffic.  However, I do not want to do more often than a couple times a week.  

I have also heard that it is good/important to try to be consistent on one's frequency.  However, I'd choose to skip a time rather than write without a purpose.

As far as having other Sisters write, I'd always welcome and encourage that.