An Old School Catholic Message Board

Third Orders and Secular Institutes

Maggyie

Does anyone have information on the above? Requirements and so forth? How do people join these organizations? Is there a list anywhere? I'm referring to ways of life for lay people although I know some 3rd orders have become similar to traditional religious life.

There seems to be virtually no information on the web. I'm trying to gather some talking points for a post on the subject. 

Third Orders and Secular Institutes are not the same things. Secular Institutes members does private vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. 

OnlySunshine

^^ What Nada said.  Third orders admit both laity and priests, but secular institutes are much like religious communities - they admit those who are single/widowed/annulled and profess the evangelical counsels.  The only difference between secular institutes and religious communities is that most (with a few exceptions) secular institute members live in the world - many religious communities have "extension" secular institutes. :) 

Edited by OnlySunshine

CountrySteve21

When it comes to Third Orders, the usual requirement is Lauds (Morning Prayer) and Vespers (Evening Prayer) plus a monthly meeting. You go through a period of formation with the Order you wish to join, to learn about their particular charism and how to adapt to the conditions of your state in life. At the end of that time period, you would make promises of chastity, poverty and obedience. You still live in the world though. 

Best way to find them is through your diocese. There will often be a group based out of a specific parish. Ideally you should be geographically close enough for meetings. Most common ones are Franciscan, Dominican, and Carmelite. Benedictines are more likely to do oblate programs which attach you to a monastery and has a few other differences. Some of these groups also have their own regional websites. It shouldn't be too hard to find a group local to you - but perhaps not the spirituality you are looking for. 

Some third orders aren't called "Third orders" anymore. Maybe that's the reason why you couldn't find information on the web. For example, "Third Order" OP's are called "Lay Dominicans", and are members of "Lay Fraternities of St. Dominic"

8 minutes ago, LittleDiana said:

Some third orders aren't called "Third orders" anymore. Maybe that's the reason why you couldn't find information on the web. For example, "Third Order" OP's are called "Lay Dominicans", and are members of "Lay Fraternities of St. Dominic"

I think I've even seen 'Secular Franciscan Order' as well.

• 2 weeks later...

You can search here: http://religiousministries.com/

Either search for "Third Order" or "Secular Institute," or select the group "Associates, Oblates, etc." which includes both Third Orders and Secular Institutes along with other sorts of communities.  I'm not very familiar with the differences myself, but hopefully the website will be of some help!

Edited by I<3BVM
typo

There are also Lay Cistercian. They're very new, but in most monastery, they met at monastery to share life, pray together. At home, they pray the DIvine Office and read the Cistercian Fathers. 

Best to seek advice from a spiritual director about this, or if you don't have one, perhaps make an appointment to speak to your parish priest or a priest or Religious who knows you. They are likely to know the formal process for these types of things. It does differ a bit in terms of the process according to the diocese/congregation so it's difficult to say. 

Just to mention, I'm not discerning this vocation, myself. I'm trying to gather info to share with others. I think these "other" vocations are overlooked and people don't realize they are there.  Particularly on facebook, I have a lot of friends/followers who are married, divorced, older single women, and others who for various reasons are probably not good candidates for typical "first order" religious life. This would even be an enticement to explore Catholicism for many of them, if they knew the diversity of callings out there. 

You know, in religious life, a lot of people follow this road : 

a) Feel like they have a vocation to RL 
b) Learn about it, visit different institute, discern 
c) "choose" one to enter.

For Secular Institute and THird Orders, it's more about : 

a) You become close to a community or a spirituality 
b) Learn about the existence of a Secular Institute or Third Order related to this community/spirituality 
c) Discern if you should enter the SI/TO 

I don't know if I'm clear ? 

Maggyie, I'm in formation with a secular institute. Unfortunately the quality of information out there is patchy, and most of what is there is written in church-y language that wouldn't appeal to non-Catholics or Catholics who have a sense of being called to something but who lack the specific canonical vocabulary to appreciate Provida Mater. But I do think you're absolutely right, and this information needs to get out there.

If you know people who would appreciate it, I have a spare copy of a book written by women in my institute. It just consists of their personal stories organised by theme, nothing fancy, nothing technical. Short reflections on how they came to the institute, what their life looks like now, how they pray, and so on. I'd be happy to post you it if you know someone who would read it.

• 4 years later...
On 1/23/2017 at 11:51 AM, beatitude said:

Maggyie, I'm in formation with a secular institute...

HI beatitude, I'm late to this thread and late to learning about secular institutes...I saw in some of your other posts that you are a member of Jesus Caritas.  I have been trying to find updated contact info for them, as I identify with your spirituality...do you have any contact info?

On 1/3/2017 at 4:54 PM, CountrySteve21 said:

When it comes to Third Orders, the usual requirement is Lauds (Morning Prayer) and Vespers (Evening Prayer) plus a monthly meeting. You go through a period of formation with the Order you wish to join, to learn about their particular charism and how to adapt to the conditions of your state in life. At the end of that time period, you would make promises of chastity, poverty and obedience. You still live in the world though. 

Those who belong to, for example, the Secular Franciscans most often are married. (Some can bore others to tears, because they think that religious life is obsolete, and they are 'the Franciscans of today.') Their promises of chastity are according to state of life - not chastity as it is professed by those in religious life. I believe that adding such a promise to what already is a commandment (after all, if one is not living chastity according to state, such as being faithful to one's spouse, one would be committing a sin) is supposed to add an act of worship.

When I was entering the convent, a married lady I knew, who belonged to the Dominican third order, told me, "Why don't you join the third order - you don't want to miss all that good stuff." 

Years ago, many of those who joined third orders did so because there were particular indulgences attached to being members. Others became very involved in apostolatic work the religious communities conducted - others helped with fund-raising for parishes and other institutions. If someone you know feels called to consecrated life, it is best that they know that most of these secular third orders (by contrast with religious communities classed as 'third order regular') do not profess Religious vows - only 'according to state of life.'