An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Catholic Reads

Jubilate Deo

DominicanHeart
6 hours ago, Jubilate Deo said:

I'm on Chapter 8 of this book and I'm really enjoying it.

HolyFatherSacred_521479_Cf.jpg

Ooooo Id like to read this! Amazon?

Jubilate Deo
16 minutes ago, DominicanHeart said:

How about Fatima? What's the best book on Fatima?

I can't really say, but if you look up 'Bookmark Fatima for Today' on YouTube, you can watch the EWTN Bookmark episode with Fr. Andrew Apostoli and see if that book interests you. I'd post it here, but it won't let me.

Edited by Jubilate Deo

Is that about the book called Vision of Fatima ? I hear it's a great read, but it's about the priest sculptor who sculpted the Our Lady of Fatima Statue under Sr. Lucia's direction and supervision. He wrote the book though because as the description states:

"Fr. Tom emerged with far more than an exact replica of how Our Lady appeared; he came to understand and recounts here in these pages Sr. Lucia's intimate explanations of what happened in Fatima, the spiritual meanings of the apparitions, whether the Consecration to Russia occurred, why the secrets had to remain secrets for so long, and why Mary chose to appear to three young shepherd children in rural Portugal."

I think someone actually started a thread about this book a while back but it probably got lost in the pages somewhere :idontknow:

Jubilate Deo
19 hours ago, Charbel said:

Is that about the book called Vision of Fatima ? I hear it's a great read, but it's about the priest sculptor who sculpted the Our Lady of Fatima Statue under Sr. Lucia's direction and supervision.

It's the book called Fatima for Today. :)

Edited by Jubilate Deo

Not The Philosopher

Five pages in and no one's repped Chesterton? Orthodoxy and The Everlasting Man are great reads. The Man Who Was Thursday is one of my favourite novels and an excellent theological thriller. His Father Brown mysteries are no slouch either.

I read Ratzinger's Introduction to Christianity during Lent and thought it was pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...
Jubilate Deo

The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus. I'm only a few pages in, but this is really good. Some of it only applies to monastics, but there is definitely a lot in here for lay people as well.

The e-book can be found and read in its entirety here:

http://www.carmelitepriory.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/TheLadderofDivineAscent.pdf

Jubilate Deo
32 minutes ago, Jubilate Deo said:

The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus. I'm only a few pages in, but this is really good. Some of it only applies to monastics, but there is definitely a lot in here for lay people as well.

The e-book can be found and read in its entirety here:

http://www.carmelitepriory.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/TheLadderofDivineAscent.pdf

I'd just like to add that some of it comes across as harsh when it comes to relations with others, but it's important to keep in mind that the author is a monastic and if he were to focus on others too much and/or for too long, it could negatively influence his vocation. This is very different than it would be for a married person or a single person in the world.

Edited by Jubilate Deo

Jubilate Deo
21 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

I'm reading Champions of the Rosary

How are you liking it? I've heard Fr. Calloway talk about it and it sounds like a great read!

DominicanHeart
17 minutes ago, Jubilate Deo said:

How are you liking it? I've heard Fr. Calloway talk about it and it sounds like a great read!

I really like it. I always knew about the Rosary but I never really KNEW much of its history aside from St. Dominic. And there's so many great Saints and Blesseds that loved it so much. Some of them I never knew about.

Jubilate Deo
Just now, DominicanHeart said:

I really like it. I always knew about the Rosary but I never really KNEW much of its history aside from St. Dominic. And there's so many great Saints and Blesseds that loved it so much. Some of them I never knew about.

Very nice! :) If you haven't already read it, I'm sure you'd love The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort. It's very affordable on Amazon.

• 6 months later...

I hope it's okay if I revive this thread.

Vision of Fatima by Fr. Thomas McGlynn has some great information on Our Lady of Fatima and how she appeared to the three shepherd children.  

G.K. Chesterton's The Everlasting Man is also very good, although much of it goes completely over my head.

Edited by Jubilate Deo