An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women's March

HisChildForever

1 hour ago, havok579257 said:

there is no depends.  if you honestly think conservatives are good and liberals are evil then you are just being thick.  conservatives have good idea on how to run the world.  liberals have good ideas to run the world.  conservatives have bad ideas on how to run the world.  liberals have bad ideas on how to run the world. 

Again. I say "depends" as you do not clearly define what you mean by "conservative" and "liberals". They are not sets of homogeneous populations. 

1 hour ago, Jack4 said:

Again. I say "depends" as you do not clearly define what you mean by "conservative" and "liberals". They are not sets of homogeneous populations. 

Exactly.  I might classify someone as conservative and they self identify themselves as a moderate liberal.  

We have to be as sensitive with political identity as we are with gender expression. 

It makes things complicated that in the modern American political spectrum, so-called classical liberalism is not really recognized as liberalism per se.

On 1/30/2017 at 8:25 PM, havok579257 said:

the fact is the liberals are acting no different than the conservatives did when Obama got elected.  conservatives cant cry liberals are not being cooperative when they refused to cooperate when Obama was in office.

Wait, what?  How so?  I don't recall riots, marches, setting cars on fire, hoards of people literally crying across the country, multiple celebrities calling for assassinations, public figures (in public office) refusing to recognize the authority of the president, etc... after the election 8 years ago.

The left is showing their true colors - and they don't look at all like their message.

On 1/30/2017 at 4:31 PM, Socrates said:

I must have somehow missed all the big violent conservative riots and looting after Obama's winning the election, and all those conservative professors calling off classes so their students can wallow in their grief, and all those GOP congressmen "boycotting" his inauguration. . . .

Woops - looks like you already made that point...

1 hour ago, Nihil Obstat said:

It makes things complicated that in the modern American political spectrum, so-called classical liberalism is not really recognized as liberalism per se.

Another way of saying this is that everyone on our political spectrum is either a classical liberal, or a leftist. Whee! 

26 minutes ago, fides' Jack said:

Wait, what?  How so?  I don't recall riots, marches, setting cars on fire, hoards of people literally crying across the country, multiple celebrities calling for assassinations, public figures (in public office) refusing to recognize the authority of the president, etc... after the election 8 years ago.

The left is showing their true colors - and they don't look at all like their message.

Woops - looks like you already made that point...

i remember marches and protests.  People may not have been crying but conservatives were panicing that Obama was going to take their guns from them.  They were losing it saying he was going to take all their guns away.  Conservatives also refused to recognize the authority of the president because they claimed he wasn't even an american citizen.  That went on way to long.  Also like I mentioned again, the vast majority of protests were peaceful.  The riot that happened on the day Trump was swore in were not even performed by liberals.  People told reports that they were not their for a cause.  They just wanted to be heard and were going to destroy things.  I don't see how you blame a group of people for riots when the people doing the rioting were not even with their cause.  Finally when do a few celebrities represent a group of people?  That would be like attributing conservatives to the leader of the alt right movement when he said essentially (dont have the quote on hand) there should be a peaceful leaving of this country by non whites.  Or the celebrities who made racist commenst after the election. Or the vadels who used spray paint to paint racist symbols and words on black churches and houses.  It would not be fair to lump all conservatives together because of one man.  Its not fair to lump all liberals together with a few celebrities who are off their rocker.

Your obviously looking through your partisan glasses if you think the conservatives were all super nice and cooperative after Obama was elected president.  You have fallen into the trap of my side can do no wrong while the other side is always wrong.  I am a conservative more so than a liberal.  Although just because I am a conservative does not mean I turn a blind eye when the party is wrong.  They did exactly what liberals are doing now.  To sit here and cry foul is dumb.  You cant cry about something the liberals are doing when the conservatives did the same thing.

37 minutes ago, Amppax said:

Another way of saying this is that everyone on our political spectrum is either a classical liberal, or a leftist. Whee! 

Sure, if you want to be all confrontational about it. :|

I thought that was my job. You are the reasonable one.

46 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Sure, if you want to be all confrontational about it. :|

I thought that was my job. You are the reasonable one.

Sometimes it's more fun this way. ;)

For those saying nothing like this happened when Obama became President, a few reminders:

Black campaign worker in 2008 who was assaulted, had broken bones, while people shouted racial slurs about he and the President.

Obama hung in effigy from nooses on trees in multiple states following his election in 2008.

A predominately black church was burned down following Obama's re-election in 2012, another has been burned down by people who spray painted "VOTE TRUMP" on it in November of last year.

Crosses were burned on the front lawns of black Americans in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

People were threatening to secede from the United States following the election of Obama.

There was a riot at Ole Miss.

Signs threatening Obama with lynching.

Protesters yelling in the streets and demanding to see Obama's papers.

Protesters with signs comparing Obama to Hitler, photoshopping a Hitler mustache on him.

Signs were put up depicting Obama as a monkey, with a noose hanging above his head.

White Supremacist groups reported a surge in membership within hours of Obama's election.

The Secret Service stopped two assassination plots against Obama in the 2008 campaign, one of which was the white supremacist group League of the South.

On the day of the 2008 election, a noose was found hanging from a tree at Baylor University in Texas.

The day after Obama's re-election in 2012, the now President, Donald Trump, made a number of tweets calling for a march on Washington and a revolution.

After the "empty chair" speech at the Republican national convention, empty chairs were found hanging from nooses.

Also, there was the whole burning him in effigy from a noose in front of a church.

And a brief (biased towards liberals) video that shows all these things and the whipping of men in blackface with chains.

Now am I say liberals are blameless?  Hardly.  There have been some who have used the mostly peaceful protests as an opportunity to riot and loot.  There have been a few people holding up horrifying and despicable signs like "rape Melania" as seen in that last link in the video.  Pro-life groups were disinvited from the "Women's March", and Abby Johnson was shoved around at it as well.  However, to say nothing happened when Obama was elected and re-elected is disingenuous, just as it would be disingenuous to say that nothing was happening now that President Trump has been elected.

KnightofChrist

Anyone else watching the UC Berkeley riots? I'm keeping up on Twitter and Brietbart has live text updates. http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2017/02/01/protesters-gather-uc-berkeley-milo-show-police-helicopters-appear/

BuzzFeed is also covering it but not as much, minute by minute.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/protesters-start-fires-shut-down-alt-right-figures-speech-at?utm_term=.wspy7xEJY#.deQwnDYX5

Pretty sick $#-+ people. The left and right do commit acts of violence at protest but I'm sorry the left seems to go to much greater levels and in higher numbers. Why have so many violent acts gone on at left of centered protests lately? 

7 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

Pretty sick $#-+ people. The left and right do commit acts of violence at protest but I'm sorry the left seems to go to much greater levels and in higher numbers. Why have so many violent acts gone on at left of centered protests lately? 

Because you say so?

KnightofChrist
1 hour ago, Peace said:

Because you say so?

No. I just remember reading the news articles about violence breaking out in a lot of left leaning protests for the last couple months and years (namely the last 2 or 3.)  There were many left leaning Anti-Trump protests in many cities that became riots and/or turned violent and lasted for multiple days and nights. (Here are some examples from an advance Google News search as a source. Keywords: "anti-trump protest turn violent arrests" Dates: January 1 2014 - January 1 2017) I really do not remember Anti-Obama protests by right leaning groups that had that kind of violence at that kind of level.

Protests against Police Shootings of unarmed black men also were lead by left leaning groups and many of those protests turned into riots and/or were violent in many cities for multiple days. (Here is another advance Google News search as a source. Keywords: "police shooting protest turn violent arrests" with the same dates.) Again, in honest truth I cannot remember a time right leaning protests had that kind of violence at that kind of level.

If memory serves I believe in both examples of these left leaning protests some state governors had to call in the National Guard. Which again I don't recall happening due to right leaning protests.

Lastly, I'm not saying all left leaning protests have turned violent or became riots. I'm just saying looking at what has happened over the last two years it appears left leaning protests turn violent or become riots at a higher rate and at a greater level than for right leaning protests.

Edited by KnightofChrist

20 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

No. I just remember reading the news articles about violence breaking out in a lot of left leaning protests for the last couple months and years (namely the last 2 or 3.)  There were many left leaning Anti-Trump protests in many cities that became riots and/or turned violent and lasted for multiple days and nights. (Here are some examples from an advance Google News search as a source. Keywords: "anti-trump protest turn violent arrests" Dates: January 1 2014 - January 1 2017) I really do not remember Anti-Obama protests by right leaning groups that had that kind of violence at that kind of level.

Protests against Police Shootings of unarmed black men also were lead by left leaning groups and many of those protests turned into riots and/or were violent in many cities for multiple days. (Here is another advance Google News search as a source. Keywords: "police shooting protest turn violent arrests" with the same dates.) Again, in honest truth I cannot remember a time right leaning protests had that kind of violence at that kind of level.

If memory serves I believe in both examples of these left leaning protests some state governors had to call in the National Guard. Which again I don't recall happening due to right leaning protests.

Lastly, I'm not saying all left leaning protests have turned violent or became riots. I'm just saying looking at what has happened over the last two years it appears left leaning protests turn violent or become riots at a higher rate and at a greater level than for right leaning protests.

Might it be possible you aren't aware of the violence because of your own biases? Or that you (or the reports you read) have exaggerated the left-liberal violence and minimized the opposing conservative violence? 

I'm not saying that this is the case, necessarily, but would you admit that it is a possibility? 

As an added note, I don't personally remember conservative violence surrounding Obama's inaugurations or elections. However, there are certainly credible reports of various events (as noted by BG45 in his post). There is also the uptick in far-right/white nationalist crime recently. For example a high school in my area was recently vandalized with some incredibly racist statements: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/01/22/vandals-hit-withrow-hs-swastikas-threats/96926452/. This isn't an isolated incident, either. There have been plenty of similar incidents. 

The vast majority of Democrats and Republicans don't riot violently.   What a minority do in the name of a larger group is not generally indicative of the larger group's principles.  

Bringing back to the original post about the Woman's March, it is obvious and noted that the majority were marching primarily for abortion rights and a significant number of speakers were crass and offensive. It is also known that pro-life groups were tolerated, but not allowed to be participating sponsors of the march.   Hence the questions about MCM's glowing report and what she was supporting with her attendance. 

Its probable that all other groups (except pro-abortion groups) were welcomed and invited to participate in the March for Life. It is reasonable if not all were allowed or invited to be co-sponsors of the March for Life.