An Old School Catholic Message Board

Convert, new novice in Regina Laudis

Thijs

PrayerSupporter

If I'm reading it right the article indicates that she was baptized, confirmed and received First Holy Communion in April 2006.  She first visited Regina Laudis in June 2011 and was accepted as a postulant in August 2013. 

For anyone who wants to read about Regina Laudis I have found two books very helpful: The Ear of the Heart: An Actress' Journey from Hollywood to Holy Vows by Dolores Hart and Mother Benedict: Foundress of the Abbey of Regina Laudis by Antoinette Bosco.

8 hours ago, Thijs said:

I looked at the very bottom of  the page linked in the original post, and it said Copyright 2013. There is no date on the story, so my suspicion is that this is not "news" in the sense of having just happened. I do agree that 4 years of candidacy seems more than excessive, especially for a woman in her 50s! :hehe2:

The announcement clearly says that her investiture was December 18, 2016 and her entrance date as a postulant was August 18, 2013.   All of their formation periods are atypically prolonged. I wonder if it doesn't help, however, in lessening departures after first or final vows.  As I recall that was one of the issues raised in the new (2016) apostolic constitution Vultum Dei quaerere (Seeking the face of God) issued last year for contemplative nuns, which replaces Verbi Sponsa.  

2 hours ago, Graciela said:

The announcement clearly says that her investiture was December 18, 2016 and her entrance date as a postulant was August 18, 2013.   All of their formation periods are atypically prolonged. I wonder if it doesn't help, however, in lessening departures after first or final vows.  As I recall that was one of the issues raised in the new (2016) apostolic constitution Vultum Dei quaerere (Seeking the face of God) issued last year for contemplative nuns, which replaces Verbi Sponsa.  

It's the second time I'm reading this, and I need to understand : how it is possible to have longer formation periods than what the Code of Canon Law allow ? 

I don't think canon law has specifications on the length of postulancy.  

§3. The novitiate is not to last longer than two years

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P25.HTM

Can. 655 Temporary profession is to be made for a period defined in proper law; it is not to be less than three years nor longer than six.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P26.HTM

AveMariaPurissima
4 hours ago, John Paul said:

§3. The novitiate is not to last longer than two years

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P25.HTM

Am I understanding Canon 653 §2 correctly to mean that novitiate *could* legally stretch to two and a half years?  It says 

At the end of the novitiate, if judged suitable, a novice is to be admitted to temporary profession; otherwise the novice is to be dismissed. If there is doubt about the suitability of a novice, the major superior can extend the time of probation according to the norm of proper law, but not beyond six months.

(emphasis added)

I share the questions others have posed. The new apostolic constitution for contemplative nuns is clear abt longer initial formation times. But the specific instructions pertaining to it have not yet been promulgated, so it remains unknown for now.  There is also a statement that communities will have to re-submit their practices for the Holy see's approval. I could not tell if that means a review of their whole Constitutions or just their initial formation plans. But Verbi Sponsa and its instructions were stated to be abrogated as of the release of the new apostolic constitution, so I wonder what communities of contemplative nuns are doing in practice during this time of waiting for the new instructions.

As for canon law, I know of active congregations of sisters where the range of time in temporary vows is 6 to 9 years, and I have no idea how that works with the canon law as John Paul quotes it from the Vatican web site. And the Jesuits' initial formation is very long too. Is there some exception possible based upon the institute's constitutions and tradition?

If anyone on VS knows the Regina Laudis community, it would be interesting to know about their initial formation process. Perhaps their model might become more common in the future....?

One thing I saw with another community is that it could be a two year aspirancy, two year postulancy, and then novitiate. I don't agree with such a time frame, but as far as I know, canon law does not regulate postulancy.

Sister Leticia

Any stage preceding the noviciate is not covered by canon law - hence all the differences (postulant, candidate, aspirant, 6 months, one year, two etc). I'm sure it's very confusing for people who visit several congregations with very different formation programmes!

The noviciate can be extended, as per above. This is allowed for in our Constitutions, and no doubt in other congregations as well. It isn't only about "the suitability of the novice". A novice could, for example, have a family bereavement, maybe preceded by a long illness, or even be ill/need an operation themselves: so it's not a question of doubt, but simply of being given extra time in which to recover/grieve, so that they have the physical and emotional energy, not only to make their vows, but also to move to a new community and mission.

In the Society of the Sacred Heart we make our temporary vows for six years - these vows can then be renewed, for up to three years. Anything longer than that then requires special Vatican permission (no, I don't know the correct terminology!). We have a group programme of preparation for profession, which takes place once (sometimes twice) a year and lasts about 5 months, and it would be very rare for someone to go to this within her first six years. The programme I went to started a month after my six years ended, so I renewed my vows for a year.

The Jesuits don't actually make temporary vows! They still do what we used to do prior to Vatican II - when they make their first vows they make them for life - but the Society has not yet bound itself to them for life. In our old Constitutions it said that those in first vows would generally go to probation (the programme of preparation) after 5 years, but this wasn't a canonical deadline. So the Jesuits don't have any canonical time limits on their first vows, hence why they might not make final vows until twelve or more years after first ones. But if you want to know more about the Jesuits, and why and how and what about canon law and so on, you'll have to ask a Jesuit!

I've always said that an impatient man should never join the Jesuits, owing to their lengthy formation - but given how long it takes Regina Laudis women to make it to the noviciate, let alone first vows, I'd definitely say an impatient woman shouldn't join them!

The noviciate of the Adoratrices de Coeur Royale appears to be very long, I've noticed.  I've wondered if this is because they are a new order.

I believe the Carmelites Sisters of the Sacred Heart in California which is an active apostolic congregation has also longer formation period